Logos that look bad, but feel right

As iconic as it might be, the Lakers logo counts. It really needs to be cleaned up. Lines around the basketball except they stop a little short of the wordmark. The wordmark is different from the one used on the jerseys. I've seen some concepts that make the lines a little cleaner and use the jersey wordmark and I think it's a big improvement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, gimmick said:

spacer.png

Cubs logo is bad for two reasons:

1) that giant TM in there.  Why do they need that in their on-jersey logo but other teams don't?  Is it because it's literally their full logo and not a wordmark like the other teams use?

2) The thick outer blue circle is way too thick and unnecessary.  Would look better if it was half the width.  Maybe a little thicker than back in the day, but half as much as now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, Eastport76 said:

Does this count?

spacer.png

It has sentimental value for the Cups, but it's just a recycling of elements from very dated late 90s identity.  The Reverse Retro kind of illustrates the need for a change.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:07 PM, Quillz said:

As iconic as it might be, the Lakers logo counts. It really needs to be cleaned up. Lines around the basketball except they stop a little short of the wordmark. The wordmark is different from the one used on the jerseys. I've seen some concepts that make the lines a little cleaner and use the jersey wordmark and I think it's a big improvement.

This and that it has black thrown in which is completely unnecessary.  Also, the "Los Angeles" font is awful.

VmWIn6B.png

31 minutes ago, LMU said:

This and that it has black thrown in which is completely unnecessary.  Also, the "Los Angeles" font is awful.

I remember when the Vikings debuted their new logo. It was kind of what I'm thinking the Lakers should do. Cleaner lines, tightened it up a bit, but very recognizable. To the point most people probably didn't notice a major change.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, burgundy said:

That really is a terrible logo, but it's also on my favorite Tigers shirt.

Ahhhhh...it's hurting my eyes......LOL

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

On 5/2/2021 at 7:04 PM, BBTV said:

Cubs logo is bad for two reasons:

1) that giant TM in there.  Why do they need that in their on-jersey logo but other teams don't?  Is it because it's literally their full logo and not a wordmark like the other teams use?

Technically, the on-jersey version uses a (R), not a TM, but that's basically a distinction without much difference, topically.  Very odd though, considering the White Sox, Rays, Braves, and other teams who literally use their full logo as their home script don't do this.

p74wradrjjg7dzyhdnul

EDIT: looks like the Cubs have been doing this ever since they last tweaked the C-ubs logo back in '79.  Compare 1978...no (R) mark

dave-kingman-of-the-chicago-cubs-poses-b

1979...it's not as obvious as on the modern jersey, and I can't tell if it's an (R) or a TM, but it's there.

2032500.0.jpg

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived