Winnipeg Jets Concept

sky1324

G04xEGr.png

fQ3uxIJ.png

Hello everyone! I've got another concept to share. I've taken a liking to the Winnipeg Jets recently (I've decided to be a fan until the Kraken begin play) but their logo kept bothering me. Two reds, two grays, no aviator blue, it all felt disconnected from the rest of the set. So, I decided to put my own spin on the Jets from True North.

The logo has been recolored to eliminate gray and red entirely. The maple leaf becomes aviator blue and the jet becomes white and navy, with white replacing the gray stroke on the outside. This elimination of color continues to the secondary logos, which I kept around.

eSQOcQa.png

The white jersey closely resembles what the Jets currently wear, with some differences.The biggest difference is the elimination of the full-length yoke in favor of an aviator blue shoulder yoke. The double striping stays, aviator blue outlined in navy to compliment the yoke and hem, who share this striping pattern. The numbers are the opposite for color blocking and balance purposes.

bNufd5F.jpg

The home jersey is a simple color swap of the road (or is it the other way around?) with white replacing navy and vice versa. The shoulder patch is the current shoulder patch, recolored to match the new color scheme.

DupqbRL.png

Finally, the third jersey. I barely touched this one because I love it in real life and I don't think it needs many improvements. All I did was add the primary logo as a shoulder patch, swap the block font for the Jets' usual font, and make the collar navy, which actually keeps it closer in line with its inspiration: the 1990-96 Jets jerseys had contrasting collars.

cG5g714.jpg

And here's the full set! Navy pants and gloves for the whole thing, matching helmets and socks. The excellent script logo is placed on the pants and helmets.

The Jets' dual blue color scheme lends itself really well to a very good color scheme, but with some tweaks it could really shine. I believe that with a tweaked logo and color balancing, the Jets could become the premier example of using two unique shades of blue to create an incredible set.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I like the uniforms, but you lost me at the blue maple leaf.

Red, gold, and green maple leaves are all naturally occurring, but blue maple leaves have about as much appeal as purple dinosaurs. I don't believe you could peddle an idea as absurd as blue maple leafs in a traditional Canadian hockey market.

I tend to feel like Jets logo recolor concepts work in theory better than in practice, so I'm not really feeling this one.

The jet really doesn't feel right with such a huge color contrast splitting it down the middle. I'm not sure, but a double blue jet *might* work, but then the leaf really would need to be red. Tbh I don't really think that that tiny bit of red would be so intrusive.

Certainly not a bad idea to simplify the jerseys.

My biggest complaint about the design is that the hem stripe's white outline is too thick compared to the rest of the white that appears.

I like the increased emphasis on light blue, but I'd be curious to see a more navy-heavy road jersey to pair better with the pants. Maybe the hem & yoke could be navy?

Finally, I think that the colors on the wordmark bleed together in every case except for navy outline and white text or vice-versa, so I might ditch the outline everywhere except the third jersey.

4 hours ago, Gordie said:

Red, gold, and green maple leaves are all naturally occurring, but blue maple leaves have about as much appeal as purple dinosaurs. I don't believe you could peddle an idea as absurd as blue maple leafs in a traditional Canadian hockey market.

I agree 😜

Seriously tho, I do like the updated sweaters, especially the navy collar on the alternate, but the red leaf does add a little pop that the set needs. I would keep that around. Otherwise it just looks a little too dark, even with the aviator blue. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The redesign and recolor is really sharp, as many here have said, but I do agree that it feels a little empty.

Rather than keeping the leaf red, I'd change it to gold. It's a color scheme that would break the red-white-and-blue that a fifth of the league currently uses, plus it invokes a military vibe.

22 hours ago, Gordie said:

I know, how sacrilegious of me :P

18 hours ago, vtgco said:

I tend to feel like Jets logo recolor concepts work in theory better than in practice, so I'm not really feeling this one.

The jet really doesn't feel right with such a huge color contrast splitting it down the middle. I'm not sure, but a double blue jet *might* work, but then the leaf really would need to be red. Tbh I don't really think that that tiny bit of red would be so intrusive.

Certainly not a bad idea to simplify the jerseys.

My biggest complaint about the design is that the hem stripe's white outline is too thick compared to the rest of the white that appears.

I like the increased emphasis on light blue, but I'd be curious to see a more navy-heavy road jersey to pair better with the pants. Maybe the hem & yoke could be navy?

Finally, I think that the colors on the wordmark bleed together in every case except for navy outline and white text or vice-versa, so I might ditch the outline everywhere except the third jersey.

17 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I agree 😜

Seriously tho, I do like the updated sweaters, especially the navy collar on the alternate, but the red leaf does add a little pop that the set needs. I would keep that around. Otherwise it just looks a little too dark, even with the aviator blue. 

Very fair criticism! I agree that the logo looks a little dull without the red, but the ultimate goal was remove unnecessary colors, and boy is that red unnecessary. Aviator blue is also a little brighter on the ice than it appears to be:

1060370496.jpeg

That said, I did mock up the set with a red leaf:

DGH15F6.png

I also included an option with the hem and yoke stripes flipped. I could go either way on it. I like the pop of red but I also dislike it only being on the logo.

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The redesign and recolor is really sharp, as many here have said, but I do agree that it feels a little empty.

Rather than keeping the leaf red, I'd change it to gold. It's a color scheme that would break the red-white-and-blue that a fifth of the league currently uses, plus it invokes a military vibe.

Great suggestion! I hadn't even considered it. Here's the set with the gold from Winnipeg's other major team, the Blue Bombers:

GSoLasQ.png

Not quite as vibrant as the red, but distinctly more Winnipeg.

Thanks for the comments, guys! Overall I'm pretty happy with the set but your suggestions all looked pretty good. Keep 'em coming!

the user formerly known as cdclt

I like it.  I tried doing something similar with the jerseys to get the Aviator blue to be more prominent while also changing up the look a tad.  The collar change on the alt makes a big difference, and it's always been the part that just stuck out as odd to me.  The gold maple leaf is an interesting idea and i like the connection to the Blue Bombers.  I maybe am just used to the red now so i don't see the need to change it but this works.

Archived