Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others (Retro Night!)

DukeofChutney

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give it a whirl...

EDIT:

It was a quick re-colour, so here we go. We'll call it "Retro Night at Ally Pally"

You can tell that the Racers took inspiration from the Detroit Red Wings. Their jerseys were very similar too.

INJRGTG.png

I have to say, I don't competely dislike this, however I swapped them from red mainly as there are four other teams using red as a primary colour. At least being BRG the basketball Racers would only 'clash' with the Manchester Giants.

I thought the Pavillions did reach an agreement with the new ownership, but how long that's for who knows.

Birmingham definately needs a team again - but just like London its amazing that a city that size (c.1.1m) hasn't been able to sustain a team.

I think like most sports, the league and its teams are still reeling from the pandemic. Plus they've had two teams fold in quick succession (Force and Royals) and another withdraw (Worcester) and another restructure (Plymouth).

Hopefully more teams will come along. It just needs the right circumstances.

22 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

I thought the Pavillions did reach an agreement with the new ownership, but how long that's for who knows.

Birmingham definately needs a team again - but just like London its amazing that a city that size (c.1.1m) hasn't been able to sustain a team.

I think like most sports, the league and its teams are still reeling from the pandemic. Plus they've had two teams fold in quick succession (Force and Royals) and another withdraw (Worcester) and another restructure (Plymouth).

Hopefully more teams will come along. It just needs the right circumstances.

Says on the teams wiki page and it’s because high rental costs. The team will hopefully relocate to a city which needs a BBL team and they could keep the name Patriots as it doesn’t some like it is connected to Plymouth, probably because the arena issue.

^To  be honest, I don't think there's any actual front runner at the moment.   I can imagine that they'd want Worcester to come back as soon as possible. Solent and Reading have been mentioned favourably - but nothing concrete, more of a off-hand discussion.

Then there's two aspirational teams. The Gloucester City Kings and the Teesside Lions ownerships have said they want to join the league. The former has not got a team just yet, whilst the latter is in NBL Division 3. Neither have arenas suitble at the moment - but should they able find a home (and their business plan is suitable) I can see them being considered.

The league needs more teams, theres no doubt, but given how the Royals came and went so fast I don't think they'll rush into anything straight away.

If it was up to me, and there was a waiting list of owners I'd say the following locations could do with teams:

Birmingham

Cardiff

Edinburgh

Leeds and/or Hull

Dundee

A second London team

Well I gave the Sussex Bears a try. For the purpose of this, they are based in Brighton (as opposed to the actual team who play in Lancing, West Sussex).

I've kept the Sussex name, so they represent the wider region rather than just the city. I also kept the existing colour scheme, as it would be unique for the league.

I've gone with the Brighton Centre as a home, and just like Ally Pally, I don't know if it can host basketball but for the purposes of this it can.

dq8yaBg.png

• DukeofChutney changed the title to Designing the courts of the British Basketball League (Sussex Bears added)
2 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

Well I gave the Sussex Bears a try. For the purpose of this, they are based in Brighton (as opposed to the actual team who play in Lancing, West Sussex).

I've kept the Sussex name, so they represent the wider region rather than just the city. I also kept the existing colour scheme, as it would be unique for the league.

I've gone with the Brighton Centre as a home, and just like Ally Pally, I don't know if it can host basketball but for the purposes of this it can.

dq8yaBg.png

There is supposed to be a new bbl quality arena coming soon so how about you change the arena logo to either the one in the concept photo or do what you did for the Edinburgh capitals and make up a arena logo

I've been looking into the proposed arena. If they can pull it off, it would be a great for the area, and a great story for the league to have one of the old teams back.

I'm just wary about the jump from a community team, playing in NBL Div.3 getting all the ducks in a row to get an arena and a team into the BBL. Vertu Motors Arena, Newcastle cost £6.5m, which is no small change. I see that Brighton and Hove council are willing to chip in, but they won't foot the entire bill.

That aside, it looks like a good proposal, and I hope they can get the plan in motion soon.

I'll keep the Brighton Centre logo for now, just as its a bit of a 'What if..?" scenario.

EDIT: I've just discovered that the Bears did play at the Brighton Centre in the early '80s.

3 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

I was playing around with colour pallets and thought I'd see what the Sussex Bears logo would look like with a blue and brown combination. And just to make it an alternate, I've renamed them the Brighton Bears.

oDmoDr6.png

Brown is definitely an upgrade.  Now I really want to see this on a jersey.

Thanks. Funny enough, I've been trying to create a jersey template just this afternoon as my Inkscape crashes with the more detailed templates.

Plus, I can never quite settle on a presentation format. I might just do jersey fronts only for now - just to appease Inkscape!

Anyway, stay tuned.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, another pair of 'What..if?' courts.

Firstly, the Mersey Tigers.

An expansion team for the 2007-08 season, as the Everton Tigers - a partnership between Everton F.C. and the new team. The funding from the football team was withdrawn in the summber of 2010, and the team was rebranded as the Mersey Tigers.

They carried on until financial problems caused the team to withdraw from the league.

For two of their five seasons, they played at the Echo Arena  - now known as the M&S Bank Arena, which is where they now play in the 'What..if?' court.

Now, being the Tigers you've got to have some tiger print right? Well... I may have gone a little over board with this...

ZFPSXyb.png

And now, to the next team - the Derbyshire Spartans.

The Derby Storm were a founder member of the BBL back in 1987 - but folded in 2002.  (Fun fact, Nick Nurse was their player coach in -1990-1991.)

The Derby Trailblazers added a men's basketball to their programme on the demise of the Storm and continue to play in the NBL.

The Derbyshire Spartans play in the second division of the NBL. However, whilst they are in the lower leagues - their logo is vastly better than that of the Trailblazers or Storm.

For the purposes of this 'What..if?' they are in the higher league, playing at the Derby Arena - a velodrome that does host other sporting events.

OUQw0ta.png

As always, C&C welcome.

• DukeofChutney changed the title to Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others (Spartans & Tigers added)
  • 5 weeks later...

Not an update per se, but just trying to set a format for my jersey project.

I see there's so many different versions on here - its hard to narrow down whats the best format. Should I just do the jersey or should the shorts always be included?

(Guess its an open ended question.)

1 hour ago, DukeofChutney said:

Thanks! :) Stay tuned, I'm working on jerseys.

I have ideas for the BBL Jersey types

Headliner - The Primary/Home

Roadtrip - The Secondary/Away

Spirit - City Edition type of jersey probably featuring something to do with the city/location

Olden Days - Fauxback Jerseys

Those are great names!

At the moment, I've just called them Home/Road/Third. Guess I need to get up to speed on baskeball jersey nomencleture.

I've found that some teams lend themselves easy to multiple jerseys whilst others are a struggle just getting a decent third done. Some of the thirds I've done so far have taken elements from their cities - but its been a stretch. And, some of it has to be open to interpretation, as Google is very reticent to yield decent results for some of the older teams.

I like the idea of fauxback/retro nights. Heck if I could manage it - I'd love to have each team wear a 80s Nite jersey for the leagues 35th.

Archived