Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others (Retro Night!)

DukeofChutney

A smallish update - I'm still working on the jerseys.  I've now decided that having a sample of the side panels / striping would be benificial so I'm slowly going through the ones already completed to add them.

And, Christmas has come early for the BBL......

The British Basketball League (BBL) has today announced that 777 Partners has invested £7 million in return for a 45% stake in the professional league.

The Miami-based private investment firm already own the London Lions after taking over the franchise in 2020, and have now moved their attention to the league in a deal that is being labelled ‘a defining moment for the future of basketball in the United Kingdom’.

The move expands 777 Partners’ sports portfolio, which also includes La Liga Club Sevilla and Serie A side, Genoa, which they purchased in September of this year.

https://www.hoopsfix.com/2021/12/bbl-receives-multi-millon-pound-investment-from-777-partners/

£7m /  $9m may seem a small amount, but its a huge investment into the league.

• DukeofChutney changed the title to Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2021-12-24 at 11:57 AM, DukeofChutney said:

A smallish update - I'm still working on the jerseys.  I've now decided that having a sample of the side panels / striping would be benificial so I'm slowly going through the ones already completed to add them.

And, Christmas has come early for the BBL......

https://www.hoopsfix.com/2021/12/bbl-receives-multi-millon-pound-investment-from-777-partners/

£7m /  $9m may seem a small amount, but its a huge investment into the league.

How do you make your court templates?  What software do you use to make them on?- Great work by the way, cant wait for the jerseys. Great news for the BBL Aswell!

R3TAKE, thanks for the appriciation. :)

As for the courts, I use Inkscape. Ages ago, I Googled a court layout and just traced it, tweaking it a little hear and there to fit my needs.

The only image on the court is the wood texture, the rest of the graphics are all re-created by myself. Which is fine for team logos, but can bit a little arduous when it comes to some of the arena logos.

I'm still working on the jerseys, just took a break away from them briefly to work on another project. Now that's near completion, I'm hoping to finalise the jerseys.

• 2 weeks later...

This past week, two teams announced their intention to join the BBL. And... I kid you not, they are both nicknamed the Rockets.

First were the City of Birmingham Rockets (27/1/22) who currently play in the NDL Div. 2

A consortium of investors are actively considering a proposal to establish a new BBL franchise in Birmingham for the 2023/24 season.

The consortium, led by former BBL Commercial Director Bob Hope and working with the City of Birmingham Rockets basketball club, including club ambassador and NBA Hall of Famer, Hakeem Olajuwon, has officially registered their interest with the league.

https://www.hoopsfix.com/2022/01/investment-group-looking-to-establish-bbl-franchise-in-birmingham/

Four days later (1/2/22) the Reading Rockets (NDL Div 1) made their announcement.

Reading Rockets are once again targeting a BBL franchise, revealing they have applied to join the league for the 2022-23 season.

The family-ran NBL Division 1 side, who have been attempting to make the jump for a number of seasons, have added key personnel to drive the bid, which was rejected in 2012 due to their home venue of Rivermead Leisure Centre not being up to standard.

https://www.hoopsfix.com/2022/02/reading-rockets-apply-to-join-bbl-for-2022-23/

Its not know what will happen to the nicknames should they both get approval. My guess is it'll be 'first come first served' - so with Reading aiming for '22-'23 they will have the edge over Birmingham.

As I've already done the Reading Rockets court, naturally I've done the Birmingham Rockets. I have removed the wordmarks (and clip art ribbon banner) from the actual Rockets logo and used whats left for centre court.

I also tried to just make things a little different, and added the purple and red to the court itself.

0UuZGZH.png

https://imgur.com/0UuZGZH

• DukeofChutney changed the title to Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others (Battle of the Rockets)
  • 1 month later...

The Leicester Riders and Manchester Giants are hosting a Retro Night, (8/4/22), so naturally I thought we need to have courts for both teams.

Both logos have been previously used by the teams in the past. I've replicated them as best I can - resisting the urge to correct things, but at the same time, trying to refine where I can.

6aNBwFO.png

IJhYAbX.png

• DukeofChutney changed the title to Designing the courts of the British Basketball League and others (Retro Night!)

Archived