NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

Well, things are a little bit different this year. With the new numbering policy taking effect this year, we’ll see rookies and veterans alike changing jersey numbers

Bengals Rookie WR Ja’Marr Chase will be the first player in Bengals history to wear 1

spacer.png

Washington Rookie LB Jamin Davis goes with 52

spacer.png

Jaguars Rookie RB Travis Etienne and Rookie QB Trevor Lawrence

spacer.png

Falcons Rookie TE Kyle Pitts will wear 8

spacer.png

Tamp Bay RB Leonard Fournette will change from 28 to 7

spacer.png

Colts QB Carson Wentz will wear 2

spacer.png

Vikings CB Patrick Peterson will wear 7

spacer.png

• Bills WR Emmanuel Sanders will wear 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/emmanuel-sanders-to-wear-no-1-for-buffalo-bills

• Eagles Rookie WR DeVonta Smith intends to wear 6 or 3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-devonta-smith-reveals-he-will-wear-a-single-digit-jersey-number-in-the-nfl/amp/

• 49ers Rookie QB Trey Lance is sticking with 5

spacer.png

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Bengals Rookie WR Ja’Marr Chase will be the first player in Bengals history to wear 1

spacer.png

That's surprising. Would have thought a kicker or punter would have worn #1 at some point in Bengals history.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

So stupid that they put the diagonal slash on the bottom of the 1.  Trying way too hard with those numbers... like nearly all teams that bust out new uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Davonta Smith will be the first single-digit receiver in Eagles modern history.  Dislike. 

E0Q0R65WEAYKyeH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, robbman21 said:

I hate this new rule so much...

8 minutes ago, Ark said:

Unpopular opinion: I like this.

I guess I'm on the side of liking it because I do not care at all. The numbering system has never been relevant to me beyond knowing the # of players I like. That said, fascinating to see the passion come out for stuff like this, it's what the uniforum is all about.

11 minutes ago, Ark said:

Receivers are a big part of the team and single-digit numbers help represent that.

How exactly do single digit numbers help represent that?

I really dislike this new rule.. it reinforces much of the nonsense at lower levels - like defensive ends and linebackers wearing single digits.. it looks ridiculous. 

36 minutes ago, Ark said:

Receivers are a big part of the team and single-digit numbers help represent that.

How does a single-digit number represent how big a part of the team anyone is?  It's not like the numbers represent a ranking of their ability.  

Some jabroni receiver wearing #3 isn't any more important than a stud DE wearing #99 or a MLB wearing #50, and certainly not more important than a HOF LT wearing #75.

EDIT: if anything, getting to wear the numbers of the all-time greats like 80, 81, 88, etc. shows that you're important.  It's really an immature idea.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

So stupid that they put the diagonal slash on the bottom of the 1.  Trying way too hard with those numbers... like nearly all teams that bust out new uniforms.

Are they, though? There’s like a single cut in each number. I don’t love them, but they’re pretty conservative, in my opinion.

spacer.png

Now, if we wanna talk about trying too hard on a set of numbers, the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles might be a good place to start. 😊

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I believe that’s just the angle of the jersey. I’m almost positive the bottom of the 1 is flat.

EDIT: Yep.

DgINkEY.jpg

31 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Are they, though? There’s like a single cut in each number. I don’t love them, but they’re pretty conservative, in my opinion.

spacer.png

Now, if we wanna talk about trying too hard on a set of numbers, the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles might be a good place to start. 😊

The eagles is just a bad font they picked, they didn’t purposely alter a font to try too hard to make a connection to the stadium that wasn’t needed, Atleast that’s what the nikespeak said in the unveiling

Did the Vikings update the number font? I thought the 7 would have the sail serifs on Darrisaw’s jersey. If they changed that would be a huge boost to an already great set. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Did the Vikings update the number font? I thought the 7 would have the sail serifs on Darrisaw’s jersey. If they changed that would be a huge boost to an already great set. 

Yeah usually a Vikings number in the 70s has the sail serifs.

Assessing the standout season of Vikings tackle Brian O'Neill

However when it's the second digit, the 7 loses the serifs.

Minnesota Vikings' Everson Griffen during warm-up before during the Stock  Photo - Alamy

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think it's just the photoshop job of the picture

I was thinking about how it felt like players wearing the 80s was getting phased out thru attrition, with the only players allowed to wear them (WRs, TEs) gaining way more options. However, in a few years this rule may actually see the 80s coming *back*, since between five WRs, four RBs, three TEs, six DBs, six LBs, two QBs, a punter and a kicker, numbers 1-19 could fill up pretty quick. At that point, I don’t expect too many number starved wideouts to reach for numbers in the 20-49 range as there isnt much precedent (tight ends can rock the 40s however, thanks Chris Cooley). I could see them going back and filling out the 80s before they start going to running back numbers. The day I see a receiver wearing some number like 37 will be the day I have to accept that the 80s are just grandpa numbers.

Archived