NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’m young. I don’t particularly like the overuse of single digits, but I know I’ll get over it eventually. Personally, it’s probably why I’m not making such a big stink about it.

To each their own 

You mentioned WRs earning numbers in the teens - that was ironic since I remember the opposite in the 90s. Udfa wrs got the teens and switched to the 80s if they made the team and the numbers became available after cuts.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, chakfu said:

You mentioned WRs earning numbers in the teens - that was ironic since I remember the opposite in the 90s. Udfa wrs got the teens and switched to the 80s if they made the team and the numbers became available after cuts.

I don’t believe that was me. However, I do prefer WRs in the teens.

Was Keyshawn Johnson the first WR of the 90s to actually continuously wear a number in the teens?

spacer.png

On 5/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, pokecat12 said:

I'm with you on this. The reason why it works in college is you can share the same number as long as you are not on the field at the same time and of course there are usually over 100 players on a team. I personally think a QB going above #19 doesn't look right. It did in the 1920-60's but not now. As much as I loved Jared Lorenzen at UK, 22 looked weird as a QB. Not for him due to his stature of course.

I kind of think they should bite the bullet and allow 3 digits in college.

9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’m young. I don’t particularly like the overuse of single digits, but I know I’ll get over it eventually. Personally, it’s probably why I’m not making such a big stink about it.

To each their own 

I can see the pros and cons, honestly. 

On one hand an it's kind of cool to see NFL players with more unique number options, and being a CFL fan this won't be so jarring to me. It's also a way for players to express more individuality without doing stupid crap like chicken sandwich shoes or wearing a white t-shirt like a dress under their jerseys. 

And I also sympathize. I played goalie in hockey through high school and university rec. Goalies are traditionally 1, 30, or 31 in hockey, with a few venturing into other numbers in the 30s. 

Me? I was #79 from the season I was old enough to pick my own number until I stopped playing organized hockey (I guess that's still "my" number today since it's on all my jerseys for pickup). Why? No reason. I wasn't trying to be contrarian, I just liked how the numbers 7 and 9 looked together. So I get wanting a certain number even if it goes against the trend of what you "should" wear at whatever position. 

On the other hand...the tradition about hockey goalies wearing certain numbers is an informal "rule," and there are plenty of cases of guys not adhering to it- and no one caring aside from seeing it as the most minor of curiosities. 

With the NFL...well the rules on who can wear what numbers have been set in stone for a while. So I get the sentiments of someone like @BBTV who views, say, a wide receiver in their "pro" uniform by wearing a number in the teens or 80s compared to, say, the CFL or college ball. It's been set in a certain way for so long that it's going to breed familiarity. 

That will- always- result in people who view a change as not necessary or looking bush league or what have you. And given the NFL's long-standing rule, they're not unjustified feeling that way. 

I get it if you think loosening these rules is a good thing- I really do- but I also understand that people can be opposed to it without being "an out of touch old man." That can't be the go-to insult anytime someone dislikes a new thing. Otherwise we should all just shut this forum down because there's no room for criticism of anything new. 
And what's the point if the only accepted response to something new is "I love it" or "🔥"? 

There needs to be discussion- and there needs to be room for disagreement without the same people rolling out the same Simpsons meme on an endless loop. 

41 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I can see the pros and cons, honestly. 

On one hand an it's kind of cool to see NFL players with more unique number options, and being a CFL fan this won't be so jarring to me. It's also a way for players to express more individuality without doing stupid crap like chicken sandwich shoes or wearing a white t-shirt like a dress under their jerseys. 

And I also sympathize. I played goalie in hockey through high school and university rec. Goalies are traditionally 1, 30, or 31 in hockey, with a few venturing into other numbers in the 30s. 

Me? I was #79 from the season I was old enough to pick my own number until I stopped playing organized hockey (I guess that's still "my" number today since it's on all my jerseys for pickup). Why? No reason. I wasn't trying to be contrarian, I just liked how the numbers 7 and 9 looked together. So I get wanting a certain number even if it goes against the trend of what you "should" wear at whatever position. 

On the other hand...the tradition about hockey goalies wearing certain numbers is an informal "rule," and there are plenty of cases of guys not adhering to it- and no one caring aside from seeing it as the most minor of curiosities. 

With the NFL...well the rules on who can wear what numbers have been set in stone for a while. So I get the sentiments of someone like @BBTV who views, say, a wide receiver in their "pro" uniform by wearing a number in the teens or 80s compared to, say, the CFL or college ball. It's been set in a certain way for so long that it's going to breed familiarity. 

That will- always- result in people who view a change as not necessary or looking bush league or what have you. And given the NFL's long-standing rule, they're not unjustified feeling that way. 

I get it if you think loosening these rules is a good thing- I really do- but I also understand that people can be opposed to it without being "an out of touch old man." That can't be the go-to insult anytime someone dislikes a new thing. Otherwise we should all just shut this forum down because there's no room for criticism of anything new. 
And what's the point if the only accepted response to something new is "I love it" or "🔥"? 

There needs to be discussion- and there needs to be room for disagreement without the same people rolling out the same Simpsons meme on an endless loop. 

I agree with all of this. I’m a casual viewer of the CFL and now with this new NFL change, it hasn’t bothered me simply because I’m also a fan of college football where the number rules are relatively(?) the same. Using the single digits outside of QB/K/P just strikes me as weird mostly. The Miami Dolphins have issued 1-9 to active players for the upcoming season. Six on offense, one on defense, and two special team (K,P). I’m completely fine with 11-19 on defense, though. That’s the furthest I’d ever stretch the rule. Even then it’s getting thin.

21 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

But what exactly is “professional” about grouping positions by numbers, other than that the league has adhered to those rules for so long that you don’t know any different? 

It would actually be their lack of rules that are irrelevant to you. But I digress. 

Actually having uniform rules gives off a professional feel in many professions. A specific part of the definition of professional states “a characterized technical standard of a profession”. What is more technical than having a precise numbering system that amateurs do not have.

6 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

So he'll be one of the most overrated player in league history?

I don't think Jeter's overrated as a player, but he surely is as an owner.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think Jeter's overrated as a player, but he surely is as an owner.

He is a funny case, IMO. He is a definite HOFer and was the leader of those World Series champion Yankee clubs. On the other hand, I think some want to try to put him in the top 5 of all-time Yankees, which he almost certainly not. He is absolutely an overrated owner.

Now, to be on topic, QBs wearing #2 is strange. That is a K/P number. I think over time, it might make for a nice WR once the weirdness of this number thing wears off.

19 minutes ago, JayMac said:

He is a funny case, IMO. He is a definite HOFer and was the leader of those World Series champion Yankee clubs. On the other hand, I think some want to try to put him in the top 5 of all-time Yankees, which he almost certainly not. He is absolutely an overrated owner.

Now, to be on topic, QBs wearing #2 is strange. That is a K/P number. I think over time, it might make for a nice WR once the weirdness of this number thing wears off.

I’d rather a QB wear 2 than 1.

IIRC, Cam Newton wanted 2 when he got drafted, but Jimmy Clausen refused to give it up.

12 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

Actually having uniform rules gives off a professional feel in many professions. A specific part of the definition of professional states “a characterized technical standard of a profession”. What is more technical than having a precise numbering system that amateurs do not have.

But it's not standardized across all professional football leagues, either, so it doesn't necessarily separate professionals from amateurs. 

13 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

I mean, the NFL doesn’t particularly care about players wearing untucked shirts so why care about a strict numbering system?

I seriously thought this was going to be a thread of players who were changing numbers, and not another ridiculous soapbox for everyone to argue as if their opinions are superior to anyone else's.

As a college football fan, I don't care at all. In fact, I've always thought it was a ridiculous rule.

If you're a fan of a team, you should know what number they wear and not be thrown off by it not fitting what NFL stars of the 90s wore when they played the same position.

I never once thought #2 for Alabama, Derrick Henry, was actually a scrambling QB or a kicker running a trick play. Hell, I wasn't even confused when the #2 on DEFENSE made an interception. Having two players wear the same number at the same time is way more confusing than no longer arbitrarily gatekeeping certain numbers from certain players.

I came here to see if my boy Henry was changing back to #2 in the NFL. I was honestly blown away by what this thread turned in to.

I've been on these forums a long long time. I can't tell if I've changed or if the discourse here has just absolutely tanked, but good lord, y'all. Forgive my frustrations, but this place is starting to border on caricature.

6 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I seriously thought this was going to be a thread of players who were changing numbers, and not another ridiculous soapbox for everyone to argue as if their opinions are superior to anyone else's.

As a college football fan, I don't care at all. In fact, I've always thought it was a ridiculous rule.

If you're a fan of a team, you should know what number they wear and not be thrown off by it not fitting what NFL stars of the 90s wore when they played the same position.

I never once thought #2 for Alabama, Derrick Henry, was actually a scrambling QB or a kicker running a trick play. Hell, I wasn't even confused when the #2 on DEFENSE made an interception. Having two players wear the same number at the same time is way more confusing than no longer arbitrarily gatekeeping certain numbers from certain players.

I came here to see if my boy Henry was changing back to #2 in the NFL. I was honestly blown away by what this thread turned in to.

I've been on these forums a long long time. I can't tell if I've changed or if the discourse here has just absolutely tanked, but good lord, y'all. Forgive my frustrations, but this place is starting to border on caricature.

Threads are normally like this. Sure there’s an overarching topic, but there’s always going to be some type of semi-off topic debate. There’s also the simple fact that even a week after the draft, new numbers for players are still being issued/picked out. Which makes sense. It’ll take time. All the way up to Week 1 of the regular season.

FWIW, I’ve been on your end before. Being frustrated like you. It’s not a fun side to be on.

10 hours ago, JayMac said:

He's usually considered 5th or 6th. No one's putting him ahead of top 4.

Babe Ruth

Lou Gehrig

Mickey Mantle

Joe DiMaggio

Yogi Berra

Derek Jeter

Archived