NFL Number Changes 2021

Two things are apparent in that graphic: 1) the extra outline on the number is terrible, and 2) they might look better with a Champion-esque font.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:19 AM, DNAsports said:

Sterling Shepard switches to 3

spacer.png

Wasn’t he previously one of the few WRs who still wore numbers in the 80s? At least Toney’s getting 89. 

Not a new number, but funny to see Chase wearing the new practice uniforms and Higgins wearing an old. Number fonts are different and one says "bengals"

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Eric Fisher will wear 79 for the Colts (previously wore 72 with Kansas City)

spacer.png

Never liked their NOB font, and it looks even worse with the new number font.  The R stands for ridiculous.  

A plain block NOB is all that's needed.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, flyersfan said:

Not a new number, but funny to see Chase wearing the new practice uniforms and Higgins wearing an old. Number fonts are different and one says "bengals"

Wow I just noticed that. How could they order new practice jerseys for rookies but not get any for vets? Why even order new practice jerseys beyond the want to have them match the game ones?

Yeah that's crap.  Flacco isn't a HOFer, but he's the second best (behind Randall Cunningham) QB they ever had, and won them a Super Bowl.  Even if they don't retire it, I'd have expected the number to have been held out of circulation a little while longer.  This feels a little insulting.  

26 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Yeah that's crap.  Flacco isn't a HOFer, but he's the second best (behind Randall Cunningham) QB they ever had, and won them a Super Bowl.  Even if they don't retire it, I'd have expected the number to have been held out of circulation a little while longer.  This feels a little insulting.  

I kind of agree, although this will be year three of Flacco not being in Baltimore and year 3 and a half of him not being the starter. The Flacco era feels like a distant memory at this point, fair or not. 

I also think though it would’ve been nice to let more time pass. From 2011-2014 Flacco was a legit top 10 QB and what he did in 2012 speaks for itself. That being said, he was painfully mediocre after ‘14 and bordered on straight up bad by ‘18. Plus the massive contract coupled with those bad performances left a bad taste in a lot of the fans’ mouths. Of course, the organization probably had to sign off on the change, which again makes it a bit surprising. At the end of the day, though, it’s a jersey number, so I can’t get too pressed over it. 

31 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Flacco was good, but I’d say he is behind Steve McNair as well. 

7 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

I kind of agree, although this will be year three of Flacco not being in Baltimore and year 3 and a half of him not being the starter. The Flacco era feels like a distant memory at this point, fair or not. 

I also think though it would’ve been nice to let more time pass. From 2011-2014 Flacco was a legit top 10 QB and what he did in 2012 speaks for itself. That being said, he was painfully mediocre after ‘14 and bordered on straight up bad by ‘18. Plus the massive contract coupled with those bad performances left a bad taste in a lot of the fans’ mouths. Of course, the organization probably had to sign off on the change, which again makes it a bit surprising. At the end of the day, though, it’s a jersey number, so I can’t get too pressed over it. 

So you’re saying joe flacco is indeed not elite

1 minute ago, dont care said:

So you’re saying joe flacco is indeed not elite

I would never be accused of such heresy. 

In all seriousness though, across his whole career, I think it would be a stretch to call Flacco elite. ‘11-‘14 though? Without a doubt. 

19 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

I would never be accused of such heresy. 

In all seriousness though, across his whole career, I think it would be a stretch to call Flacco elite. ‘11-‘14 though? Without a doubt. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

36 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Flacco was good, but I’d say he is behind Steve McNair as well. 

McNair, who is arguably more known for his Oilers/Titans days was on the team from 2006-07. Including 2008 and his untimely death in 2009, the Ravens kept 9 out of circulation until 2012 when they issued it to then-rookie kicker Justin Tucker. 4 seasons. Joe Flacco is a more decorated Ravens QB and it took Baltimore just 2 seasons until they gave 5 away.

Another Ravens player has changed his number. This time it’s LB L.J. Fort switching from 58 to 3

spacer.png

The Ravens now have 2-9 issued to players

• 2- QB Tyler Huntley

• 3- LB L.J. Fort & QB Kenji Bahar

• 4- P Sam Koch

• 5- WR Marquise “Hollywood” Brown

• 6- LB Patrick Queen

• 7- QB Trace McSorley

• 8- QB Lamar Jackson

• 9- K Justin Tucker

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Another Ravens player has changed his number. This time it’s LB L.J. Fort switching from 58 to 3

spacer.png

The Ravens now have 2-9 issued to players

• 2- QB Tyler Huntley

• 3- LB L.J. Fort & QB Kenji Bahar

• 4- P Sam Koch

• 5- WR Marquise “Hollywood” Brown

• 6- LB Patrick Queen

• 7- QB Trace McSorley

• 8- QB Lamar Jackson

• 9- K Justin Tucker

Gotta say, definitely not a fan of 3 on Fort. Single digit numbers on non-flashy inside linebackers is not a good look.