NFL Number Changes 2021

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've said my peace about Tony Romo, but it seems a little crummy for this jabroni to be the next one to wear #9 for them.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Cowboys doing this and the Ravens doing it with 5 exude the same :censored:ty energy

To be fair, he was previously wearing Randy White’s number (which, objectively is a much bigger honor in the grand scheme of the Cowboys’ legacy).

Do above average to very good QB’s like Romo and Flacco honestly deserve to have their numbers retired? Romo won 2 playoff games. Flacco never made a Pro Bowl or All-Pro team. Feels like the time the Browns tried to convince everyone that Al Lerner deserved the Halas treatment on their sleeves.

5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

To be fair, he was previously wearing Randy White’s number (which, objectively is a much bigger honor in the grand scheme of the Cowboys’ legacy).

Do above average to very good QB’s like Romo and Flacco honestly deserve to have their numbers retired? Romo won 2 playoff games. Flacco never made a Pro Bowl or All-Pro team. Feels like the time the Browns tried to convince everyone that Al Lerner deserved the Halas treatment on their sleeves.

They don’t deserve their number to be retired, but they should be uncirculated for a period of time. What that time is? Idk exactly but I’d say either until the Qb that replaced them leaves or 7 years which ever comes first. 

5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don't think much of Romo, just going by how revered he seems to be by the fan base.  I guess in a way it's better that some defensive guy was the one to bring it back into circulation rather than a young QB who would have to "live up to it".   Again, I don't think that's a very high standard, but I seem to be in the minority there.

Flacco is a different story to me.  He's not a hall-of-fame-caliber player, but he's the best QB in franchise history and won a Super Bowl with the team and was the face of the team in the post Ray Lewis era.  Even though there's objectively better players who haven't had their numbers retired, I'd probably do it in his case.  Either way, to recirculate it while the guy is still playing seems a little disrespectful.  I think it's common practice to hold numbers out for a few seasons if the player meant a lot to the franchise.

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They don’t really deserve retirement. The problem is how the Ravens and Cowboys probably could’ve waited to re-issue 5 and 9. Hell if this is the case, Baltimore should absolutely issue 52 to some edge-of-the-roster O-Lineman and give 20 to a 4th string running back. Neither of those numbers are retired for Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Why stop at Flacco?

Meanwhile, in the "Guys No One Cares About" department...

...Somehow Blake Bortles keeps getting work. Not that anyone cares about that, but nicely tucked into the second paragraph is another interesting switch--another one I was wanting to see:

"He’ll wear No. 9, which opened up after kicker JJ Molson switched to No. 35."

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

...Somehow Blake Bortles keeps getting work. Not that anyone cares about that, but nicely tucked into the second paragraph is another interesting switch--another one I was wanting to see:

A kicker wearing a number above 19??

spacer.png

9 hours ago, tBBP said:

Rule says kickers still have to wear 1-19.

14 minutes ago, jc... said:

Rule says kickers still have to wear 1-19.

Probably because he’s really just a practice squad kicker. If he was on the main roster after pre season he’d have to switch

Word on the street is Green Bay has a punter wearing 45, too. Again, numbers don’t really matter until regular season. I think it’s kinda neat to see kickers and punters going north of 19. Even if it is for training camps, preseason, etc.

Kickers and punters won't have a choice if all these loser defensive players are scooping up the 1-19s.  It's absurd that the rule change limits certain positions to a set of numbers that's available to everyone.  

If positions are limited to a range of numbers then that range needs to be protected.  It's simple math, and I hope it blows up in the league's face.

Interesting to see Swift stay in #32, as he wore 6 in camp all last year. Guess the price to pay off the #32 uniforms wasn't worth it (and as only a 2nd rounder, it's not like hes got a giant paycheck)

Hypothetically speaking, if Indianapolis was to get Julio Jones, would Michael Pittman willingly give up his 11?

Pittman famously said “hell no” when asked if he’d give his 11 to Carson Wentz

On 5/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, DNAsports said:

Pittman famously said “hell no” when asked if he’d give his 11 to Carson Wentz

Is that really what happened?  Everything I've read is consistent with this:

I spoke to him, and he was just seeing, like, how locked in I was to 11, and I told him that I was locked in," Pittman Jr. said. "And he was like, 'That's cool, bro because I'm probably gonna switch anyway.' So, it went really well, and he's just a cool guy.

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/michael-pittman-jr-says-carson-wentz-was-not-what-he-expected

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is that really what happened?  Everything I've read is consistent with this:

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/michael-pittman-jr-says-carson-wentz-was-not-what-he-expected

Sounded like wentz wanted the number and when he found out Pittman wasn’t changing he was like “oh well then I guess I’ll save face and say I was changing anyways”

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

Sounded like wentz wanted the number and when he found out Pittman wasn’t changing he was like “oh well then I guess I’ll save face and say I was changing anyways”

Right, but the claim was that Pittman "famously" said "hell no" when Wentz asked.

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

Right, but the claim was that Pittman "famously" said "hell no" when Wentz asked.

IIRC, I thought Pittman found out about Wentz over Twitch from his fans so they asked about it and he said “hell no”. I guess it was people just stretching the truth

• 2 weeks later...

Julio Jones will take a new number, after politely declining AJ Brown's offer to take 11 from him.

However, turns out Brown was going to call Warren Moon and ask for permission to wear his retired #1.

Brown wore No. 1 at Ole Miss and considered making that his number when the NFL made rule changes allowing players other than quarterbacks, punters and kickers to wear single-digit numbers. He was going to ask Warren Moon for permission to wear the retired No. 1 jersey. But that was before he discovered how impactful Warren Moon was to the Oilers/Titans organization.

"I was about to bother you and ask you Is there anyway I could wear the #1 until I read your Bio ... I'm not even deserving tbh," he tweeted in April. "Thank you for everything you've done for the game. Legend!! Salute!!"

What the F - the total lack of respect for the honor of a retired number is appalling.  He shouldn't have even had to read the bio - he should have just known that a retired number is one of the highest honors anyone can get, and his female-dog jabroni ass shouldn't be trying to take it away from anyone, let alone Warren godsdamned Moon.  Screw this dude.