NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a team-first attitude!  Definitely a winner.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I don’t know, getting two numbers retired by one franchise is pretty neat

Not really. It’s quite stupid honestly. And if he does win this only remotely works if he’d plays  a significant amount of years after and probably wins another super bowl. If he wins next year and then flops neither number will be retired. They reissued flaccos number 2 years after he left. 

3 hours ago, dont care said:

They reissued flaccos number 2 years after he left. 

To some 5th round defensive back that will start a total of 3 games in his 2-season NFL "career".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Former Steeler's CB Steven Nelson, who just signed with the Eagles, will wear #3, meaning that both Eagles starting CBs will look like guys dressing up as punters for halloween.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:27 AM, dont care said:

Not really. It’s quite stupid honestly. And if he does win this only remotely works if he’d plays  a significant amount of years after and probably wins another super bowl. If he wins next year and then flops neither number will be retired. They reissued flaccos number 2 years after he left. 

Completely agree, it was cool for Kobe because it happened organically and he was truly one of a kind. He also put together two legitimate HOF careers in those two numbers. Lamar trying to get two numbers retired and changing for that purpose is a really bizarre move that just seems like someone who has their priorities in the wrong place. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Joe Flacco wearing 19 for his second stint with the Jets

spacer.png

This brings up a rather funny thought: you know how 12 seems to be the prototypical QB number? This might can be a sub-arc of conversation, but 19 to me is about one of the most backup-QB numbers ever.  By my memory only three starting QBs I can think of have worn 19: Johnny Unitas, Bernie Kosar and Scott Mitchell (who wore the same number as Dan Marino's backup in Miami). There may (be others.) Joe Montana switched to it during his tenure as a starter in KC, but by that time he was on the backside of this career.  

Anyway, funny little tangent to rail off on.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, tBBP said:

This brings up a rather funny thought: you know how 12 seems to be the prototypical QB number? This might can be a sub-arc of conversation, but 19 to me is about one of the most backup-QB numbers ever.  By my memory only three starting QBs I can think of have worn 19: Johnny Unitas, Bernie Kosar and Scott Mitchell (who wore the same number as Dan Marino's backup in Miami). There may (be others.) Joe Montana switched to it during his tenure as a starter in KC, but by that time he was on the backside of this career.  

Anyway, funny little tangent to rail off on.

I totally agree. Makes me think of Damon Huard in New England.

Former Patriots quarterback Damon Huard explained what it's like to be Tom  Brady's backup

Archived