Vikings Rookie OL Christian Darrisaw

spacer.png

Packers Rookie CB Eric Stokes

spacer.png

Packers Rookie OL Josh Myers

spacer.png

Packers Rookie WR Amari Rodgers

spacer.png

Amari Rodgers should be #13 to make his jersey look as similar to Aaron’s jersey as possible just to irritate opponents. I’m sure Allen Lazard would give up his digits for such a noble cause. 

Also, if Aaron somehow forces his way out, change it to #12. 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The “get off my lawn” crowd out in force... There’s really not an argument besides “tradition” to keep the old system. Players are becoming so much more hybridized than they ever have in the past, sometimes seems hard to give them set in stone positions/positional numbers. On top of that, I would assume a lot of these guys have personal connections to their numbers, probably the same one worn in high school, which is the same one they wore in college. If I somehow made it through the entire journey to the NFL wearing 7 as a receiver, against all odds and with all these obstacles, I’d want to keep wearing it. I get why they’d want to keep it instead of wearing 84 cause some other guy did 30 years ago. Maybe I’m just younger, maybe it’s cause I watch more college football than others. Either way, looks like it’s a hit and not changing back anytime soon! 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-doesnt-sound-too-happy-about-the-nfls-decision-to-change-the-rule-for-jersey-numbers/ - Say what you will about Mr. Tom Brady, but I do agree with him on the new numbering system. He's got a vaild point about being able to tell which position is which - IMO, a good reason to keep the numbering system in place from 1973-2020.

UBwef0L.png

Fields wears, as expected 1, or as it will look on the Bears jersey, |.  

YnOD3or.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Amari Rodgers should be #13 to make his jersey look as similar to Aaron’s jersey as possible just to irritate opponents.

How would that irritate opponents?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, BBTV said:
On 4/30/2021 at 8:48 PM, BBTV said:

Davonta Smith will be the first single-digit receiver in Eagles modern history.  Dislike. 

E0Q0R65WEAYKyeH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The single-digit WR has precedent, but just in preseason.

1bfcfc48-54a9-49c8-996b-8d4b3614eebf-dea dm_190815_NFL_EAGLES_THORSON_TO_WARD_38_

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I've never understood why numbers were restricted in the first place. It's like if left fielders were only allowed to wear 50-59, or if point guards were the only players who could wear 1-19.

There was a conversation on here a few days ago about rules that are based entirely on "it's always been that way" and nothing else - this is a prime example of that. There's no other justification.

ExJworW.png

The now-old number rule also helps when teaching the game to people who are completely unfamiliar to it.  They could turn on a game and be like "oh, the guys in 80s are the WRs, the guy in 20 must be a RB, so it's weird that he's spread out" or something like that.  "The guys in 50s are the LBs and one was trying to cover a guy wearing 88 so that's a bad thing."

It's nothing at all like telling left fielders they can only wear certain numbers because baseball players aren't anywhere close to each other on the field and it's usually pretty obvious what position a guy is playing unless there's an infield shift, and that usually only lasts a play or two.  When numbers were introduced, they tended to correspond with the player's position in the lineup, which (I guess) helped the umpires, hence Babe Ruth wearing 3 and Lou Gehrig wearing 4.  So there was some logic there.

I don't watch hockey anymore but I imagine it's still pretty odd to see a goalie not wearing 1 or 30 something, and defensemen in single digits.  While not legislated, it's still an established norm (at least as of the last time I paid attention.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Eagles CB Darius Slay switching from 24 to 2

spacer.png

He plays like it so he might as well wear it.  One of the more overrated/overhyped CBs in the league.

20 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Packers Rookie WR Amari Rodgers

E0RyIaVWYAA1xbB?format=jpg&name=large

What a fxcking troll job by the Pack -- drafting "A.Rodgers" and giving him Aaron's college number

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

There’s a weird rule in basketball below the pro level where a player can’t wear 6, 7, 8, or 9 because they could be interpreted as 51, 52, 53, or 54 when a referee calls fouls

Some insight on the NCAA's reasoning.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Rams Rookie RB Jake Funk

spacer.png

Dude looks like the jacked-up spawn of Kato Kaelin and Cindy Crawford.

Also, that 4 is atrocious. (I know it's a mockup, but still...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I mean to make a counterargument, these kids have zero restriction on numbers growing up, they can pick a number at age 7 and run with it for their entire lives, they get to the pinnacle and are forced to choose one in a select range because "it's been that way?" I love they have more freedom in number selection.

Also think of the very casual fans, if a player can keep their number college to pros... (Oh that #1 from LSU is really good, he's #1 on the Bengals now). Probably helps them out a bit.

By the end of the season it's going to look completely normal, it only looks wrong now because it changed. Like how kickoffs were moved forward and featured no run-ups, it looked way wrong the first few times, but looks like standard practice now.

It sounds like I'm in the minority on these boards, but I do really like the number freedom.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived