NFL Number Changes 2021

DCarp1231

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

teams generally carry 3 TEs on their roster. No need to reserve 10 numbers just for them.  

40-49 work too, just not that well. I also believe Defensive Ends should be able to wear 80-89 as well and any DEs wearing 50-59 should be grandfathered out.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jc... said:

I don't think it's that big of a deal and I am sure we will get use to it, but I'm more for un-retiring jersey numbers so this situation doesn't happen. I'd rather see young players honor the legacy of the players number they are wearing. I think I've read somewhere, when you get your number at Notre Dame, you get a list of players who wore that number before you. 

I think it would be a good idea to do what Clemson does (did) with Watson. Have a patch that signifies who's number it was originally. I don't know if they still do it, but Michigan had also done something similar to that with Devin Gardner. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

57 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I for one would LOVE to see a QB or kicker wear 99.  

It probably will happen out of necessity even though it is technically not legal with this rule.  QB's and kickers are still restricted to 1-19. 

I still can't get my head around the fact that sometime in the next few years we will probably see a DB, LB, WR, TE & RB on a possession with a single digit number and the QB with 31, 58, or 99.  Seems too bizarre but I wouldn't be surprised. 

No one cares about my opinion but I’ll throw my 2 cents in anyway. 

I don’t like it. For the pure and simple reason that it’s different and weird and I always kind of liked the NFL being the only league to have rules with your jersey number. Growing up as a kid obsessed with sports and jersey numbers it was fun to be able to figure out those rules organically on my own. 

But at the end of the day, it’s not a big deal. I realize it’s just a jersey number. I’ll get used to it. It’s just, it’s a change and change feels weird at first. I think the biggest change will be felt at WR with the single digit guys like Chase and Smith entering the league. 

I will say though, Penn State has done a few mocks of Odafe Oweh in a #28 Ravens jersey and I kinda dig it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Washington draft pick Camaron Cheeseman (unfortunately not selected by Green Bay), a Long Snapper from Michigan, donned 33 in college. Obviously 33 is off the table in Washington, so I’m wondering if he’ll opt for 40-49, 50-59, or if there’s a way he can get a number in the 30s.

Personally, I don’t identify a LS as an O-Lineman let alone a regular Center. I view it as it’s own entity.

spacer.png
spacer.png

since I’ve been paying attention, and since LS became its own position and not just something that someone else knows how to do, most Eagles LS’s “emergency position” has been tight end, so 80s or 40s. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

since I’ve been paying attention, and since LS became its own position and not just something that someone else knows how to do, most Eagles LS’s “emergency position” has been tight end, so 80s or 40s. 

IIRC, Trey Burton was an emergency LS for the Eagles in a game a few years ago who wore the number 47, but the following season he wanted to “be known” as just a tight end so he changed to 88

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Conversely, I’ve never been a huge fan of WRs wearing 80-89. I’d much rather they wear 10-29 (preferably) or 1-19 if it meant it would deter them from the 80s. I’ve always seen 80-89 as TE numbers anyway. 

That's interesting. What era gave you that feeling? I was used to 80s for WRs and TE as an early 90s fan.

1 hour ago, chakfu said:

That's interesting. What era gave you that feeling? I was used to 80s for WRs and TE as an early 90s fan.

The late 2000s-current honestly.

I went through all the teams active rosters currently available through their websites looking at WRs who wear/currently assigned 10-19 vs 80-89

• 10-19: 73% (180)

• 80-89: 27% (65)

(keep in mind it’s just the active roster WRs assigned numbers. No draft picks or players who have opted to wear 1-9)

With single digits now available for WRs, I think we’ll see even less 80-89 WRs moving forward to the point where it may end up being an afterthought or obsolete altogether.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

IIRC, Trey Burton was an emergency LS for the Eagles in a game a few years ago who wore the number 47, but the following season he wanted to “be known” as just a tight end so he changed to 88

Did you mean the Super Bowl LII champion Philadelphia Eagles’ Trey Burton, who threw a touchdown pass to Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles in Super Bowl LII? Or some other Trey Burton?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, DNAsports said:

Eagles CB Darius Slay switching from 24 to 2

spacer.png

IIRC, this loser said he wanted to wear 24 to "honor Kobe's legacy in Philly and live up to the standard he set" or some nonsense like that.  Guess he's done mourning Kobe.  Maybe now he's honoring Moses Malone or Mark Howe or something.

13 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The late 2000s-current honestly.

I went through all the teams active rosters currently available through their websites looking at WRs who wear/currently assigned 10-19 vs 80-89

• 10-19: 73% (180)

• 80-89: 27% (65)

(keep in mind it’s just the active roster WRs assigned numbers. No draft picks or players who have opted to wear 1-9)

With single digits now available for WRs, I think we’ll see even less 80-89 WRs moving forward to the point where it may end up being an afterthought or obsolete altogether.

Makes sense, once the teens opened up they became really popular.  As a fan of Jerry Rice, 80s will always seem like a WR # to me.

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Washington draft pick Camaron Cheeseman (unfortunately not selected by Green Bay), a Long Snapper from Michigan, donned 33 in college. Obviously 33 is off the table in Washington, so I’m wondering if he’ll opt for 40-49, 50-59, or if there’s a way he can get a number in the 30s.

Personally, I don’t identify a LS as an O-Lineman let alone a regular Center. I view it as it’s own entity.

spacer.png
spacer.png

66 could be an easily justified switch

The new rules don't really bother me, but then again I'm Canadian - we already have wide receivers in single-digit numbers and other such madness, lol 
Lions Lock Up Lemar Durant Through 2021 - BC Lions

Also just from a practical standpoint I think it's a good move; with the restrictions they had the NFL seemed to be the first sport in line to run into the problem of "if you retire too many numbers you will eventually run out of numbers", hence why teams like the Bears had to announce they'd no longer retire numbers at all. This'll probably kick that can down the road a bit, at least.

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

IIRC, this loser said he wanted to wear 24 to "honor Kobe's legacy in Philly and live up to the standard he set" or some nonsense like that.  Guess he's done mourning Kobe.  Maybe now he's honoring Moses Malone or Mark Howe or something.

OMG dude. Stop! Get over it and get over yourself! 

malcom tucker GIF

Hotter Than July > Thriller

It's bothering me how many players are opting to wear #1. So tacky and looks terrible with all the extra blank space on the back of the jersey. I don't mind it on an occasional QB like Cam Newton or Kyler Murray, but I can tell it's gonna become way too common already.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

OMG dude. Stop! Get over it and get over yourself! 

malcom tucker GIF

Hey if the weight savings from dropping the 4 make him not be a loser of a player then I’ll come back here and call him a winner, but until then I stand by my assessment of his ability. 

Of course if he was concerned about weight savings then he’d get rid of the unnecessary “Jr” after his name. Your dad ain’t on the team bro. Be better at football.  

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Hey if the weight savings from dropping the 4 make him not be a loser of a player then I’ll come back here and call him a winner, but until then I stand by my assessment of his ability. 

Of course if he was concerned about weight savings then he’d get rid of the unnecessary “Jr” after his name. Your dad ain’t on the team bro. Be better at football.  

spacer.png

I still remember the “Robert Griffin III deserved to get injured” dilemma 

Archived