mcrosby

Madison Mallards logo fix

You can probably tell, but I was feeling pretty lazy by the time I got to the feet. I just had to make something because I'm so incredibly disappointed in their new look. 

As somebody who doesn't totally hate the new logo, I think you really did a great job on that head! I'm not a fan of the legs/puddles/cardboard cheese plate in the original.

Personally, I'd lose the hot dog-as-baseball bat. It's a bit too kitschy. I also think that rendering the duck's wings and body as green with a blue outline (mirroring the gray with black outline of the original) would better serve your mark, as its left/pointing wing and hand seem wonky. All of that said, your mark is vastly superior to what the Mallards actually trotted out.        

Oh wow mark, as someone who is really annoyed at the change in the first place - this is a solid redesign. It feels like a honest to god rebrand instead of something from the 80s done by a local newspaper artist.

33 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Personally, I'd lose the hot dog-as-baseball bat. It's a bit too kitschy.       

I generally dislike this kind of Brandiose kitsch. I only included it here to demonstrate how they could have included their famous "WEINER!" call without making a stupid tertiary mark with a hot dog border. 

I don’t care for the weinerbat either, I think it’s a step too far.  And there’s something about the way the feathers come down from his arm that doesn’t work for me. 

But other than that, it’s really good.  Such an improvement. 

Their 'logo' is a fine sketch (like I said on Twitter). It's not a good logo. Yours is an improvement, but I'd keep the bat over the brat (I refuse to call it a sausage - we're in Wisconsin -- it's a brat).

I assume they're going for a hot dog with their tertiary, as their PA announces "WEINER" for every foul ball and kids can turn in a foul ball for a hot dog. 

17 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I assume they're going for a hot dog with their tertiary, as their PA announces "WEINER" for every foul ball and kids can turn in a foul ball for a hot dog. 

Makes sense. I haven't been to the Duck Pond for a game in a long time.

I really appreciated that you removed the shoehorned puddles and skyline and silly cheese plate, and I'm even more appreciative of the removal of some unnecessary colors. The eye is in a better location now, too.

This (understandably) might be an unpopular opinion, but I almost feel like your execution is a bit *too* polished here. It feels weird to say it, because I'm so used to thin outlines looking unpolished, but I feel like maybe the thinner outlines of the original have some character and breathing room that your version lacks. @Brian in Boston's suggestion of ditching the blue shadow on the wings might help, even with the thick outlines.

Besides that, I agree with the people saying to ditch the bratwurst. 

12 hours ago, vtgco said:

This (understandably) might be an unpopular opinion, but I almost feel like your execution is a bit *too* polished here. It feels weird to say it, because I'm so used to thin outlines looking unpolished, but I feel like maybe the thinner outlines of the original have some character and breathing room that your version lacks. @Brian in Boston's suggestion of ditching the blue shadow on the wings might help, even with the thick outlines.

Maybe I'll try thinning those down. Doing so will probably give it that vintage feel they were going for with the original.

I think I get what you were going for, but the bent hot dog bat is not working. It just looks like it was badly connected, and not quite like what I'd like. The duck itself is a fantastic piece of design, why add more to it?

7 hours ago, Jake3roo said:

I think I get what you were going for, but the bent hot dog bat is not working. It just looks like it was badly connected, and not quite like what I'd like. The duck itself is a fantastic piece of design, why add more to it?

I addressed that above: 
I generally dislike this kind of Brandiose kitsch. I only included it here to demonstrate how they could have included their famous "WEINER!" call without making a stupid tertiary mark with a hot dog border. 

It's not the hot dog itself I have the biggest issue with, it's the bend of it. It just looks badly lined up.