Short-lived uniform features

So I was reading the NFL changes thread recently, and somebody posted a photo featuring the Chargers' old uniforms.  Vs. the Broncos, I think.  It was there that I noticed the Chargers' wordmark was on the socks, something I'd known the Dolphins and Bengals used to have, but I'd been unaware the Chargers had done it too...or that they stuck with it into the 2000s (the only team to do so), seeing as the Bengals and Dolphins' sock wordmarks didn't survive their 1997 changes.  Not sure how hard I really wanna look, but the one season the Jets did this and the Patriots' two season tour are the only other teams I'm aware of using sock wordmarks.  Not sure why this was an AFC only thing, though with the rise of jersey wordmarks, we're probably never seeing these again (at least on the gridiron.  OTOH, the fact that soccer clubs have their name or their initials on their socks all the time slipped my mind at the time of posting).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any similarly short lived features (or features that were never widely adopted but somehow stuck around) worth a mention out there?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trend of flywire collars/ two tone collars on Nike NFL jerseys comes to mind. If I remember correctly, the two-tone collars lasted like 2 seasons and the flywire collars lasted for 4 seasons at most.

Alfred Morris Reportedly To Start Vs. Saints, Fantasy Value Rises -  SBNation.com

12 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

The trend of flywire collars/ two tone collars on Nike NFL jerseys comes to mind. If I remember correctly, the two-tone collars lasted like 2 seasons and the flywire collars lasted for 4 seasons at most.

Alfred Morris Reportedly To Start Vs. Saints, Fantasy Value Rises -  SBNation.com

The Ravens still use the Elite 51 template, but that pattern on the neck was removed a little while ago. It seemed every team that had a colored in collar with Reebok got that treatment.

List of New Orleans Saints starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

Several NFL Teams Ditching Terrible Nike Collar Design – SportsLogos.Net  News

Forgot that the Chargers had this horrible look

Several NFL Teams Ditching Terrible Nike Collar Design – SportsLogos.Net  News

Ravens move Modell Memorial to Jersey – SportsLogos.Net News

Ravens wore it for one year, then changed the collar to purple. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

During the classic years of the Oakland A's uniforms, 1972 to 1980, they had a front number for half of one season.  A front number was put on the uniform after the All-Star break in 1972.

Early season vs. late season:

Tq-Y30-OF8-Sbiapsp-GXHsx7-J-Wzz-OEw-Fs-J    catfish-hunter-mlb-leadjpg.jpg

And the odder thing still about this number was that it was a different font to the number on the back.  The front number was in the font we associate with the Expos, while the back number was in a kind of block font (though not the standard one used by the Dodgers, nor the varsity font that the team went to in the latter years of this uniform set).

Both fonts can be seen in this card:

A-s-two-number-fonts.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1996 Eagles had stripes instead of a logo on their white jerseys - logo was on their green pants, which at the time featured only a single black stripe.

Jersey was changed the following season.  Technically, both white and green jerseys were changed each of the first three seasons of their existence, but this was the most noticeable change.

32a325b34de8c6bc2b941f15bfba3841.jpg 617nojZmbdL._AC_SY445_.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In 1997 Deion Sanders had his sleeves cut on the road uniforms to resemble Jackie Robinson's sleeves for the 50th anniversary of the integration of baseball

DEION-SANDERS-Cincinnati-Reds-1997-Majes

and then the rest of the team did it too. 

c703faf5b2d095386500ea7cff307340.jpg

In 1998 the sleeves were back to normal

Cincinnati Reds on Twitter: "March 30, 1998: The Reds acquire 23-year-old  first baseman Sean Casey from the Indians. #RedsVault @TheMayorsOffice… "

PvO6ZWJ.png

When Deion did it, the league made the rest of the team did it, saying that they had to be a uniform size - basically vest or no vest.  I'm 94.89% sure I remember that correctly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

When Deion did it, the league made the rest of the team did it, saying that they had to be a uniform size - basically vest or no vest.  I'm 94.89% sure I remember that correctly.

That would make sense. Seeing as the patches are on the shoulders, they were obviously tailored that way. It wasn't just a bunch of Chris Sales cutting up jerseys.

spacer.png

Remember the Predators' shoulder wordmark? That might hold the record for the shortest-lived feature of them all. This jersey (obviously a draft jersey) leaked the night of the first round (Nashville didn't have a pick), and by the time Magnus Hellberg was drafted with their first pick the next day, the wordmark was gone.

0623-nsh-jerseysleaked.jpg?token=YUDiUTw

magnus_hellberg_nas_062511.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Revealed: The Story Behind the Cubs’ 1972 Road Uni › Uni Watch

In 1972, due to a manufacturing error on the part of Wilson, who made these jerseys, the Chicago Cubs had their first pullover road jerseys feature the number on the center for that season only.

Do you think other teams should have gone this route with their pullover jerseys?

UBwef0L.png

Here's one (I think)... remember like 10-15 years ago when a few MLB teams had those mutlicolored sparkly helmets, where the vents (and I think the back) would be a different color than the rest of the helmet)?  The main teams I remember having them were the Mets, Rockies, and Rangers.  I don't remember any team using them for too long, but maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Here's what I'm talking about...

Uni Watch: Texas Rangers new batting helmet the worst in history - ESPN  Page 2

metsroadnewrec_3__46256.1477296931.jpg?c=2

rockieslecnewimage.jpg

Another thing... I definitely remember the Mets and Rockies using them, but did the Rangers actually ever wear theirs in a game?  I can't find any photos of them actually wearing that in a game (maybe I just didn't search hard enough), but I remember it being modeled during a new uniform unveiling or something.  I am pretty sure they were legitimate helmets made for the team to wear, but maybe they just decided not to wear them.

18 hours ago, nash61 said:

Remember the Predators' shoulder wordmark? That might hold the record for the shortest-lived feature of them all. This jersey (obviously a draft jersey) leaked the night of the first round (Nashville didn't have a pick), and by the time Magnus Hellberg was drafted with their first pick the next day, the wordmark was gone.

0623-nsh-jerseysleaked.jpg?token=YUDiUTw

magnus_hellberg_nas_062511.jpg

The Ducks also had an odd wordmark on the collar of their orange alternate when they first unveiled it. It was abandoned when they switched over to the Adidas template.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Ducks also had an odd wordmark on the collar of their orange alternate when they first unveiled it. It was abandoned when they switched over to the Adidas template.

It wasn't wasn't abandoned, it moved to the inside of the collar, à la hanger effect.

---

The Calgary Hitmen used this logo for their first season in 1995/96 because their original logo was deemed "too violent".

8278e7f3f5b4e083.jpg

They would switch to the original logo the following season and have used it ever since, colour change and cleaning up lines notwithstanding. This Burst logo would return as a shoulder patch when they brought back the "originals" (like the second year originals) during their 20th anniversary.

IbjBaeE.png

When the Calgary Flames introduced their new home jersey in 2003, the name plate was originally black, outlined in white.  The commentators complained they couldn't read them, so they switched them out to white, outlined in black, after a game or two (or maybe more.  Can't remember.)

spacer.png

Archived