Short-lived uniform features

VintageSteelers on Twitter | Steelers country, Pittsburg steelers, Steelers  football

The Pittsburgh Steelers, with their current uniform set (since 1968, with one major modification along the way since), paired their white jersey with white pants for a short time. The white britches were worn for only two seasons, 1970 and 1971.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, BBTV said:

1996 Eagles had stripes instead of a logo on their white jerseys - logo was on their green pants, which at the time featured only a single black stripe.

Jersey was changed the following season.  Technically, both white and green jerseys were changed each of the first three seasons of their existence, but this was the most noticeable change.

32a325b34de8c6bc2b941f15bfba3841.jpg 617nojZmbdL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I remember having a Ricky Watters jersey that was reversible. Had both the green and white jerseys, although the white looked more like a pale gray. 

Phillies102708_1.pngEagles_15.jpg

Yeah, I figure I'd count reversible jerseys (outside of basketball practice) as a short-lived fanwear feature.  Never owned one myself, but I knew a few people who had one back in middle and high school.  Two of these, coincidentally, were Eagles jerseys-one was green/white, probably Watters, and the white side had both the 96 green sleeve stripe AND the eagle head; the other was green on one side, black on the other.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 5/10/2021 at 8:32 PM, BBTV said:

Didn't the Cubs revert back to NNOB for a year or two too?

2005 and 2006, same years as the Dodgers. But the Cubs only did it for home games, so when they wore the blue alternates at Wrigley, they had NNOB.

Home:

Gerqbm9.jpg

Road:

gOoTPIj.jpg

The Mets did the same thing with their black jerseys in 1999.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, M4One said:

In the category of dumb ideas Reebok came up with for the 2007 Edge system makeover, Ottawa's ridiculous looking socks, which lasted a couple of seasons.

spacer.png

Calgary and Tampa had that going on too. Reebok really messed up a lot of teams looks.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:32 PM, BBTV said:

Didn't the Cubs revert back to NNOB for a year or two too?

2005-2006, but only at home. They had two versions of the Dumpster Bear alternates then: one with names for road games, and one without for home games. When John McDonough replaced Andy MacPhail as team president for 2007, he put the names back on at home and got rid of the alternates altogether, but he went to the Blackhawks after that season and new management brought them back. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Until now, when so many players where white-based (or gray-based) cleats.  Also the guy to the left in the Angles photo didn't get the memo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

The Mets did the same thing with their black jerseys in 1999.

Mets also had NNOB on the white (alt?) jerseys in 1999:

Mets outscore the National League in our 1999 season simulation

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In their first season in 1974, the Washington Capitals wore white pants with their red jerseys for their first 4 road games before being replaced with blue pants.  They wore red pants with their white jerseys.  The next season, they would only wear the blue pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

The Rams used a standard block font for 1 season before switching to the font they would use for the next two decades.

r_mfaulk_i.jpg

And the screened replica jerseys had the correct font that year, not the block font.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This certainly isn't a short-lived thing, but I feel it is very forgotten/overlooked.  From the early 1980s-1996 or so, the Blackhawks crest had a stroke around it.

71NzKEfcbuL._AC_SL1107_.jpg

72308344_original.jpg?1292955838

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I’d hardly call that short-lived.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e5ic4qdukrbjbun8fb

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 5/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, M4One said:

When the Calgary Flames introduced their new home jersey in 2003, the name plate was originally black, outlined in white.  The commentators complained they couldn't read them, so they switched them out to white, outlined in black, after a game or two (or maybe more.  Can't remember.)

spacer.png

I was just coming here to post this. But it looks like it went on longer than I thought. Here's a photo on Getty Images of the Flames wearing black nameplates against the Blackhawks on Nov. 22, 2003, which was their 19th game of the 2003-04 season. The next set of photos I could find on Getty were from the Dec. 2, 2003, game against the Sharks, which was their 22nd game of the season, and they had the white nameplates by then.

EDIT: found the Sharks photos

Archived