Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Is that really designed by Brandiose? I thought in the hockey thread we agreed that all cartoon ducks with curved bills were designed by and/or property of Disney? I smell a lawsuit comin'...where's BlueLion to get it started?????

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Typically outstanding work from Dan Simon and the team at Studio Simon. This is a logo package comprised of clean and iconic elements, without so much as a superfluous stroke or inconsistent line-weight to be found. Rather than selling a client on a complete abandonment of their previous identity, or a makeover so all-encompassing that little beyond the old name still exists once the dust settles, Studio Simon elected to simply refresh elements from the client's branding history - both existing marks and those from the team's storied past. This is the type of quality work that results from a designer and his team possessing the experience, talent, and self-confidence necessary to recognize that tasteful restraint can be as valuable a tool in the branding professional's arsenal as envelope-pushing excess.

• Like 1

As a Rochesterian and huge Red Wings fan, I, as well as many others, judging by the team's Facebook page, was incredibly disappointed in this new logo set. Rochester's baseball roots date to 1825, with professional baseball dating to 1877, the oldest franchise in minor league baseball. The team is terrible at embracing that history, and this is just the latest sad chapter. The character ("Spikes") is fine as a mascot, but why does he have to be the basis of the team's entire identity system? I, for one, was so glad to hear of a logo update - I figured it would be the end of "Spikes", who has befouled our hats for 17 years. Unfortunately that was not the case. Such a missed opportunity.

The Wings' Facebook page is lighting up with negative comments. The fans aren't embracing this new look. There are a lot of traditionalists here.

As an aside, the only of these three caps that I would consider buying, the BP, wasn't available for purchase at the unveiling event, and I was told that it would not be until March.

Well, reading through these posts on the Akron Aeros/Rubber Ducks...first (this is a stretch :) ) Akron is the rubber capital, second, if it's a fightin' phils leftover (with the hotdog) they couldn't just be the rubbers, and third, maybe they were inspired by that giant rubber duck that spent a month in Pittsburgh which is only a couple hours away...

KISSwall09.jpg

Akron used to be the home to pretty much every major tire manufacturer in America. They could have gone with the name Vulcans, hired someone other than Brandiose, and wound up with a pretty good and hopefully unique identity that didn't feature toothy duck mascots with XTREEM ATTITUDE and bevels, so many bevels.

Or they could have stuck with Aeros and built around that. In short, I hate Brandiose.

• Like 1

Welcome to DrunjFlix

While not minor-league, the new Worcester-based franchise in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League has announced the five finalists in its "Name The Team" contest. According to the team website, they are:

• Worcester Bravehearts - an homage to Worcester's brave men and women in uniform serving locally and abroad as well as a reference to "the Heart of the Commonwealth"
  • Worcester Canal Diggers - a reference to Worcester's industrial history where scores of Irish immigrants dug the Blackstone canal through the region
  • Worcester Freight Trains - a reference to Worcester's proud past and present operation of locomotives
  • Worcester Mighty Caseys - a nod to the "Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888" poem written by Ernest Thayer on Chatham Street in Worcester
  • Worcester True Blues - meaning "unwaveringly or staunchly loyal, especially to a person, a cause, etc.; the real deal" and a reference to Worcester's pride and blue collar heritage

Frankly, I can't say that any of them strike me as being particularly good. My gut tells me that they're going to go with Worcester Bravehearts. Of those five, I'd go with Canal Diggers. That said, my real preference would be to pay homage to Ernest Thayer's "Casey at the Bat" by naming the team the Worcester Nine. Barring that, I'd opt for the Worcester Blast in honor of the role the city has played in the fields of rocketry and space exploration (birthplace of rocketry pioneer Robert Goddard... home to David Clark Company, which has designed, developed, and manufactured air/space crew protective and communication equipment for the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Space Shuttle programs... original home to Wyman-Gordon Company, one of the global leaders in forging aerospace parts... the first rocket propelled by liquid fuel launched in nearby Auburn, MA).

While not minor-league, the new Worcester-based franchise in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League has announced the five finalists in its "Name The Team" contest. They are:

Worcester Bravehearts - an homage to Worcester's brave men and women in uniform serving locally and abroad as well as a reference to "the Heart of the Commonwealth"

Worcester Canal Diggers - reference to Worcester's industrial history where scores of Irish immigrants dug the Blackstone canal through the region

Worcester Freight Trains - a reference to Worcester's proud past and present operation of locomotives

Worcester Mighty Caseys - a nod to the "Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888" poem written by Ernest Thayer on Chatham Street in Worcester

Worcester True Blues - meaning "unwaveringly or staunchly loyal, especially to a person, a cause, etc.; the real deal" and a reference to Worcester's pride and blue collar heritage

Frankly, I can't say that any of them strike me as being particularly good. My gut tells me that they're going to go with Worcester Bravehearts. Of those five, I'd go with Canal Diggers. That said, my real preference would be to pay homage to Ernest Thayer's "Casey at the Bat" by naming the team the Worcester Nine. Barring that, I'd opt for the Worcester Blast in honor of the role the city has played in the fields of rocketry and space exploration (birthplace of rocketry pioneer Robert Goddard... home to David Clark Company, which has designed, developed, and manufactured air/space crew protective and communication equipment for the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Space Shuttle programs... original home to Wyman-Gordon Company, one of the global leaders in forging aerospace parts... the first rocket propelled by liquid fuel launched in nearby Auburn, MA).

Canal Diggers is a bad dirty joke waiting to happen.

While not minor-league, the new Worcester-based franchise in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League has announced the five finalists in its "Name The Team" contest. They are:

Worcester Bravehearts - an homage to Worcester's brave men and women in uniform serving locally and abroad as well as a reference to "the Heart of the Commonwealth"

Worcester Canal Diggers - reference to Worcester's industrial history where scores of Irish immigrants dug the Blackstone canal through the region

Worcester Freight Trains - a reference to Worcester's proud past and present operation of locomotives

Worcester Mighty Caseys - a nod to the "Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888" poem written by Ernest Thayer on Chatham Street in Worcester

Worcester True Blues - meaning "unwaveringly or staunchly loyal, especially to a person, a cause, etc.; the real deal" and a reference to Worcester's pride and blue collar heritage

Canal Diggers is a bad dirty joke waiting to happen.

Those C's had better be stitched on their really well.