Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Welcome back to the front of the line, white-panel hats!!!

I know they never disappeared completely, but since the Orioles decided to bring them back they now seem to be in every new set... even those where they obviously do not fit...

(and I love some of the designers' lame excuses explanations for including the white-panels: "Oh, it's part of the team's heritage, because in 1981, when the team was located in Poughkeepsie, a hot-dog vendor at the stadium mistakenly wore an Expos hat with a white panel... so, there you go!!!)

I know they never disappeared completely, but since the Orioles decided to bring them back they now seem to be in every new set... even those where they obviously do not fit...

(and I love some of the designers' lame excuses explanations for including the white-panels: "Oh, it's part of the team's heritage, because in 1981, when the team was located in Poughkeepsie, a hot-dog vendor at the stadium mistakenly wore an Expos hat with a white panel... so, there you go!!!)

It's a terrible time we live in...

The Bulls have worn the white panel hats for a few years now. I am not a fan.

I wish they would bring back the "texas orange" caps that they had in the mid 90's and get rid of the white panel one.

That Kingfish logo is fantastic. Great colors, too.

That logo and typeface is right up there with Bosak, Simon, and Radom, each of whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The New Britain Rock Cats (Double-A Eastern League) have unveiled a new alternate logo. The mark, which will be featured on the Rock Cats' caps several times next season, depicts team mascot Rocky wearing a Metallic Red, Elvis-inspired jumpsuit. The Rock Cats - and/or design partner Brandiose - have stated that the team is the first professional sports franchise to use Metallic Red in their team identity.

new-britain-rock-cats-alternative-logo.j

3536143.jpg

According to team owner John W.S. Creedon, Jr., the team name has two significant components.

The word “Brave” recognizes Worcester’s brave men and women in uniform, those serving both locally and abroad. In particular, the word serves as a tribute to Worcester’s fallen firefighters, such as the six heroes (Paul Brotherton, Timothy Jackson, Jeremiah Lucey, Jay Lyons, Joseph McGuirk, and Thomas Spencer) who perished in the December 1999 Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse fire, as well as Jon Davies who gave his life in December of 2011. Today marks the fourteenth anniversary of the Cold Storage Warehouse firefighters’ bravery, and this coming Sunday marks the second anniversary of Jon Davies’ bravery.

The word “Hearts” is a reference to Worcester’s nickname as the “Heart of the Commonwealth.”

Team General Manager Dave Peterson described the logo design as being, "heavily inspired by the colors and symbols of the Worcester flag, including the red heart and green laurels on a white seal against a green field." Peterson added that the top of the shield featured in the logo was meant to represent, "Worcester's proud blue collar heritage and economy driven by the remarkable work ethic of the city's citizens."

4825686_orig.gif

The New Britain Rock Cats (Double-A Eastern League) have unveiled a new alternate logo. The mark, which will be featured on the Rock Cats' caps several times next season, depicts team mascot Rocky wearing a Metallic Red, Elvis-inspired jumpsuit. The Rock Cats - and/or design partner Brandiose - have stated that the team is the first professional sports franchise to use Metallic Red in their team identity.

new-britain-rock-cats-alternative-logo.j

Please. Make it stop!

What's so wrong about that? It's a rockin' cat. They're the Rock Cats. It's minor-league whimsy, and I like the look.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Because the "rock" in "Rock Cats" presumably means stone, so in other words, "mountain lion," more or less. The "rock" in "rock and roll" is a separate word meaning "to sway," so going in both directions at once destroys whatever precious little semiotic integrity "Rock Cats" could possibly have. But that's kind of Brandiose's schtick, to have one degree of separation too many between the name of the team and the iconography. It would be like if they made the Charlotte Knights' logo a moon wearing sunglasses like the old McDonald's logo, because it's night (Knight) time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because the "rock" in "Rock Cats" presumably means stone, so in other words, "mountain lion," more or less. The "rock" in "rock and roll" is a separate word meaning "to sway," so going in both directions at once destroys whatever precious little semiotic integrity "Rock Cats" could possibly have. But that's kind of Brandiose's schtick, to have one degree of separation too many between the name of the team and the iconography. It would be like if they made the Charlotte Knights' logo a moon wearing sunglasses like the old McDonald's logo, because it's night (Knight) time.

They've always used a rock n roll cat image, for their entire existence. So what's your point?

The "rock" in Rock Cats has never referred to stone, nor has the team's mascot ever been meant to be a mountain lion.

When cartoonist Gil Gilchrist helped the New Britain Red Sox rebrand in 1994, he chose the name Rock Cats as a tip-of-the-hat to rock 'n' roll music. When he learned that the team's owner - Joe Buzas - had purchased his first minor-league team in the 1950s, Gilchrist hit upon the idea of paying homage to the decade that birthed the term "rock 'n' roll" by creating a guitar-strumming, sunglass-wearing, pompadour-sporting feline mascot - "Rocky". Gilchrist combined the logo with the Rock Cats moniker and the place-name Hardware City, long a nickname for New Britain.

$%28KGrHqZ,%21q%21FHoV,jDWZBS%218%28pZEs

Because few people outside of Connecticut knew that Hardware City referred to New Britain, the place-name was eventually changed and a new logo, incorporating stylized "NB" initials, was unveiled to go with it.

5004.gif

The Rock Cats' current primary mark...

roaa40hjxcslggpk81u55ny76.gif

... was designed by Dan Simon and introduced in 2007.

So, by portraying the Rock Cats' mascot as a singer in an Elvis-inspired jumpsuit, Brandiose actually brought the team's identity back to its original inspiration.

Incidentally, Gilchrist designed the logos for the Portland Sea Dogs, Norwich Navigators, and Binghamton Mets, as well as the mascot for Shimizu S-Pulse of soccer's J-League.

http://articles.courant.com/2009-05-17/news/cthistory0517.art_1_cat-s-face-cool-cat-new-britain-red-sox