Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

2 hours ago, conesbeans said:
3 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

However, I would argue that the days of fire-related brands (especially relating to wild fires), being "safe" is probably coming to an end. Then again, we've managed to have Hurricanes and Quakes at various levels of sports without incident, so it's possible this will blow over as well. 

Not to mention Fire (Chicago, MSL), Avalanche (Colorado, NHL), Tornadoes (Worcester, former independent minor league baseball Can-Am League), Volcanoes (Salem-Keizer, Minor League Baseball), Blizzard (Green Bay, Indoor Football League), Cyclones (Iowa State, NCAA), etc.

(I'm not counting names like Storm, Thunder and Lightning, as they don't necessarily attain the same threat level as the aforementioned forces of nature and other disasters.)

This might make a good thread of its own. Anybody have others to add?

Once I was in a chat with someone from England who was somewhat interested in American sports.  He was fascinated/appalled by the existence of names such as the Chicago Fire and the San Jose Earthquakes, mentioning that he couldn't imagine that anyone would go for the English equivalent, the London Plague.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, conesbeans said:

Not to mention Fire (Chicago, MSL), Avalanche (Colorado, NHL), Tornadoes (Worcester, former independent minor league baseball Can-Am League), Volcanoes (Salem-Keizer, Minor League Baseball), Blizzard (Green Bay, Indoor Football League), Cyclones (Iowa State, NCAA), etc.

(I'm not counting names like Storm, Thunder and Lightning, as they don't necessarily attain the same threat level as the aforementioned forces of nature and other disasters.)

This might make a good thread of its own. Anybody have others to add?

Atlanta/Calgary Flames, Birmingham Fire, Utah Blaze, Bakersfield Blaze, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, et al. A lot of other minor-league teams go with ice & fire names.. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Once I was in a chat with someone from England who was somewhat interested in American sports.  He was fascinated/appalled by the existence of names such as the Chicago Fire and the San Jose Earthquakes, mentioning that he couldn't imagine that anyone would go for the English equivalent, the London Plague.

FWIW, "Chicago Fire" is the local colloquial name for the Chicago Fire Department.  That's what the name refers to, not Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

Which is why their logos have always been modern fire department-themed, not in any way 1870s period.

Chicago_Fire_Academy_OPTIMIZED.pngCHI_Fire_Alternate.png

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

FWIW, "Chicago Fire" is the local colloquial name for the Chicago Fire Department.  That's what the name refers to, not Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

Which is why their logos have always been modern fire department-themed, not in any way 1870s period.

umsypmvh1fcxyefrqcfio0yfy.gifi5zc2q14bg6hn5f19gzwpabn1.gif

Ah, interesting.  Well, let us remember that the name Chicago Fire in sports originated in the WFL, and that that team's imagery did not borrow from the fire department. 

Image result for wfl chicago fire logo           Related image     Related image

That team was just playing on the existence in the language of the term "the Chicago fire", just as other teams named themselves after existing terms: Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles, Colorado Rockies, New Jersey Devils.

I will say that I find the whole trend bizarre.  Imagine the New Orleans Hurricanes, the Las Vegas Snipers, the Florida Sinkholes.  All of those are awful; yet none of them is any worse than the Chicago Fire (if you remove the FD reference) or the San Jose Earthquakes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Imagine the New Orleans Hurricanes, the Las Vegas Snipers, the Florida Sinkholes.  All of those are awful; yet none of them is any worse than the Chicago Fire (if you remove the FD reference)

Yes, but you can't remove the FD reference.  Not when we're talking about the soccer team.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I will say that I find the whole trend bizarre.  Imagine the New Orleans Hurricanes, the Las Vegas Snipers, the Florida Sinkholes.  All of those are awful; yet none of them is any worse than the Chicago Fire (if you remove the FD reference) or the San Jose Earthquakes.

There was a New Orleans Hurricanes basketball team.  Professional Basketball League of America 1947

Houston Hurricane played in the old North American Soccer League 1978-1980

• Like 2

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

17 minutes ago, Needschat said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There was a New Orleans Hurricanes basketball team.  Professional Basketball League of America 1947

Houston Hurricane played in the old North American Soccer League 1978-1980

Yes; but you couldn't do that now, after Hurricane Katrina.

Consider that the XFL originally planned to call its Birmingham team the Birmingham Blast, but people in that city objected because that name evoked thoughts of a 1963 firebombing of a black church.  So the team wound up using a different name.  A similar bit of common sense will prevent any attempts at New Orleans or Houston teams using the name Hurricanes for some time.

But maybe not forever.  The 1906 earthquake in Northern California happened long enough ago that people can now joke about it.

Also, I understand that the current Chicago Fire team is paying homage to the fire department; indeed there is even a television show called Chicago Fire about that department.  Still, the main referent of the phrase "Chicago fire" in the English language is the 1871 conflagration.  Despite this, the WFL team could use that name in 1974 partly for the same reason that the name San Jose Earthquakes is considered acceptable, namely, the century that had passed since the tragedy.  The other factor that has defanged the name is the widespread notion that the fire was beneficial to the city in the long run, allowing for the "Great Rebuilding". 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, I understand that the current Chicago Fire team is paying homage to the fire department; indeed there is even a television show called Chicago Fire about that department.  Still, the main referent of the phrase "Chicago fire" in the English language is the 1871 conflagration. 

To you, maybe.  Sitting in Queens.

But not to people in Chicago in their everyday lives.  Which is really all that matters.

I had problems with a lot of the early MLS identities.  But this one is a success story; after Nike tried to push the truly terrible "Rhythm" name on them, the club responded with an identity that's almost hyper-local.  Something that speaks directly to Chicagoans in their own words.  Even if people like us outside of Chicago don't quite get it.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, buzzcut said:

The Amarillo Sod Poodles just got sued!

"Stone Ranch Media filed for the trademark two days after Amarillo Professional Baseball announced Sod Poodles on the list of name finalists. 

In a Facebook post, Dusty Green said the team made three offers for his trademark in September, but he turned them down. Green said he will not only not sell the trademark, but he now plans to make his own Sod Poodles merchandise."

What a lovely individual. Jumps on the trademark to make a quick buck but then won't go through with selling to the actual team because...he wants to print his own tshirts? What kind of a spiteful game is this?

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

8 minutes ago, Green27 said:

"Stone Ranch Media filed for the trademark two days after Amarillo Professional Baseball announced Sod Poodles on the list of name finalists. 

In a Facebook post, Dusty Green said the team made three offers for his trademark in September, but he turned them down. Green said he will not only not sell the trademark, but he now plans to make his own Sod Poodles merchandise."

What a lovely individual. Jumps on the trademark to make a quick buck but then won't go through with selling to the actual team because...he wants to print his own tshirts? What kind of a spiteful game is this?

This man is a GD American hero. 

Here's hoping others follow suit and start using the power of trademark registration to keep Brandiose in check.

I'm all for novelty and experimentation, but we passed that point years ago.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Green27 said:

Dusty is a friend, he spoke with the GM and the GM admitted that the name Sod Poodles were brought to the "Name the Team Contest" by the branding agency (we all know who) and never was a fan submission. This is someone exposing the ownership group for their fake contests. Dusty is a hero in Amarillo to all of those who hate the name like me.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

Here's hoping others follow suit and start using the power of trademark registration to keep Brandiose in check.

Oh yeah. That shark was jumped long ago... Now, everytime there is a rebranding and Brandiose is involved, you can guarantee each rebranding will be asinine and more absurd than the last.

I hope Dusty rides this to the fullest and forces the team's hand. Most people in Amarillo hate this dumb ass name anyhow, and hated all the names Brandiose threw out in their farce of a Name The Team contest. Yet, the ownership told the citizens of a city they are trying to build a new business/brand in to basically suck it up and deal with it, they are gonna name the team whatever they want, public opinion be damned. 

• Like 4
Texas.gif

2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

2 hours ago, bartodell said:

Dusty is a friend, he spoke with the GM and the GM admitted that the name Sod Poodles were brought to the "Name the Team Contest" by the branding agency (we all know who) and never was a fan submission. This is someone exposing the ownership group for their fake contests. Dusty is a hero in Amarillo to all of those who hate the name like me.

1 hour ago, Oso said:

Oh yeah. That shark was jumped long ago... Now, everytime there is a rebranding and Brandiose is involved, you can guarantee each rebranding will be asinine and more absurd than the last.

I hope Dusty rides this to the fullest and forces the team's hand. Most people in Amarillo hate this dumb ass name anyhow, and hated all the names Brandiose threw out in their farce of a Name The Team contest. Yet, the ownership told the citizens of a city they are trying to build a new business/brand in to basically suck it up and deal with it, they are gonna name the team whatever they want, public opinion be damned. 

This sounds painfully familiar to the events in New Orleans  vis-à-vis the Baby Cakes-- no fan EVER suggested the name-- which isn't even a thing; it's DERIVED, mind you.  The overwhelming majority of folks here hate it; the owners made their short term merch money from geeks and hipsters FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY who like the "cute" "playful" nickname, and after alienating the fan base,  the owners are now moving the team on to Wichita.

Damn, I wish we would have had a Dusty here in New Orleans.

• Like 3

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

See if they had just done something normal like Prairie Dogs they wouldnt have been in this mess

I think think they could have gone with Sod Dogs and had better buy in from the community. 

It's one thing to go with an odd or obscure aspect of local culture, but at this point I'm pretty sure Brandiose just pulls adjectives and animals out of a hat.

• Like 3