Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

There's been plenty of teams to commit fully to their Brandiose nicknames: Baby Cakes, Rumble Ponies, Chihuahuas, BIscuits, Rubberducks, Yard Goats, etc. 

I think what we're seeing now is teams wanted to play the goofy name game, but also wanted a more grown-up identity. Having it both ways. Pizza Rats is a great name though and should be the Staten Island Yankees full time identity. 

Bung Hammers is uhhh, it's problematic. 

Bung Hammers sucks but the branding is legitimately good!  The stupid thing about the Pizza Rats is that they should've already done the full-on rebrand by now, what with the contest and such, but I guess there's legalities that held it up?  That or maybe they chickened out and want this trial to push them over the edge.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

PIzza Rats doesn't work for Staten Island because Staten Island doesn't have subways for rats to harvest pizza from.

Grand Rapids seems like a rather large market for just Single-A. Maybe it's a matter of geography, I dunno.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is like naming a team after "I Can Has Cheezburger" in the year 2018. Sorry, you were way too late on this, SI Yanks.

Also, as @Waffles mentioned, the pizza rat was on a stairwell to a subway. There are no subways in Staten Island. This is like renaming the Brooklyn Cyclones after a Broadway reference. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Grand Rapids seems like a rather large market for just Single-A. Maybe it's a matter of geography, I dunno.

Well, AA wouldn't happen since its nowhere near the Southern, Eastern, or Texas Leagues.  The only AAA option would be the International League, but expansion at the MLB level would be their only option if they're interested.

For Grand Rapids, its pretty much Midwest League or bust.

I always wonder how major-league expansion will trickle down to the minors. I didn't realize West Michigan was a Grand Rapids team (I thought maybe Battle Creek? Kalamazoo? Benton Harbor?) so that would be an obvious candidate for AAA expansion. Jacksonville or Vancouver would be another.

4 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

The nickname isn't just an invention for this jersey - it's something that Grand Rapids markets around.

https://www.experiencegr.com/things-to-do/beer-city/ 

As an outsider, I'm really not seeing what makes Grand Rapids so different from any different from all the other cities of consequential size that all have their own assortment of craft breweries and brewpubs.  Besides, with the real Brew City right across Lake Michigan, it just comes off as poor taste.  Milwaukee never tried to step on Detroit's toes and call itself something like "Engine City" despite being home to Harley Davidson and AMC.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I always wonder how major-league expansion will trickle down to the minors. I didn't realize West Michigan was a Grand Rapids team (I thought maybe Battle Creek? Kalamazoo? Benton Harbor?) so that would be an obvious candidate for AAA expansion. Jacksonville or Vancouver would be another.

Technically, the Whitecaps are in a suburb a good 10 miles outside of Grand Rapids, but that was news to me fairly recently too.

I wonder who a Grand Rapids/West Michigan AAA club would affiliate with though since I doubt the Tigers would ever leave Toledo.  Selfishly, it'd be nice to have Brewers prospects within driving distance again.

It's triple-A hockey, but I like the AHL's mix of NBA markets without NHL teams and depressed mill towns of upstate New York. No, just kidding, I hate the mix, I want more depressed mill towns!

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's triple-A hockey, but I like the AHL's mix of NBA markets without NHL teams and depressed mill towns of upstate New York. No, just kidding, I hate the mix, I want more depressed mill towns!

The AHL is nothing without depressed mill towns. Long live the Utica Comets.

Signed,

A Guy Born in an AHL-Hosting Depressed Mill Town in Connecticut

(Though said depressed mill town has stereotypical rich suburbs thanks to being in commuting distance of Stamford and NYC, but ignore that. ?)

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Brewers?

Toledo is less than an hour's drive from Detroit, and they've been affiliated since 1987. Not sure I see them ending that affiliation even if it is for another Michigan city.

The Indians just affiliated with Columbus a few years ago.  Not sure they'd end a relationship with a team in their own backyard to affiliate somewhere further away where the fans like their divisional rivals.

The White Sox could definitely work.  New Comiskey is the closest MLB park to Grand Rapids.  But I really feel like Indianapolis would be a better fit for them.  If they have to play little brother everywhere in Chicagoland that's not the city's southside, why not try to drum up a fanbase in Indiana?

The ideal home for a Brewers AAA club is Madison or the Fox Valley, though I'm not sure I see either building a new park anytime soon.  But because they're an NL club, the fans in Grand Rapids wouldn't have too feel conflicted about their loyalty to the Tigers. Besides, if they really want to go all in on this "Beer City" stuff, who better to affiliate with?

SWB RailRiders to change name to Teddy Bears for one night

June 13, 2018 - 14:04 PM

The Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are taking Teddy Bear Toss Night to the next level, rebranding as the Teddy Bears for one game. The team will wear teddy bear-themed uniforms on the night that fans can get in free if they […]

Read More...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

As an outsider, I'm really not seeing what makes Grand Rapids so different from any different from all the other cities of consequential size that all have their own assortment of craft breweries and brewpubs.  Besides, with the real Brew City right across Lake Michigan, it just comes off as poor taste.  Milwaukee never tried to step on Detroit's toes and call itself something like "Engine City" despite being home to Harley Davidson and AMC.

Technically, the Whitecaps are in a suburb a good 10 miles outside of Grand Rapids, but that was news to me fairly recently too.

I wonder who a Grand Rapids/West Michigan AAA club would affiliate with though since I doubt the Tigers would ever leave Toledo.  Selfishly, it'd be nice to have Brewers prospects within driving distance again.

I can't speak to other cities, but Grand Rapids was voted Beer City USA in a number of national polls from 2012-2017. Nothing scientific, but it at least gives the claim a color of legitimacy. Founders is one of the biggest microbreweries, and there are a number of other GR breweries that are significant on a regional level. With regard to Milwaukee, I'd argue that it was the most significant brewing city at one point back in the pre-craft era, but is now far behind with regard to influential breweries - there's Lakefront, and that's about it.

Also, the Whitecaps are in a "suburb" in name only - Comstock Park is certainly part of the Grand Rapids urban area. I work in downtown GR and can see the stadium from my office on a clear day.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Of course, Brandiose being Brandiose, there was a "swingin' mascot" logo.  They just left this one on the drawing board.

Dfk7FYcV4AAmyl4.jpg

And look @DC in Da House w/o a Doubt - toppings!  Pepperoni!

Seriously, though, how do you look at everything on these pages and say "Yeah, we want that kangaroo-over-the-slice.  That's our best choice."

• Like 3