Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Oh, how I hate to see the Triple-A team of my youth succumb to this OVERdone-to-death sports branding fad.

That said, it could be worse. The PawSox could have embraced one of the most familiar colloquialisms for this signature Rhode Island foodstuff and dubbed themselves the Pawtucket Gaggers (Gaggahs). 

3 hours ago, MBurmy said:

All of a sudden Peppermint Patty's team name doesn't sound so unusual

Yes, while a clunky mouthful, High Point Dragon Claws would have not only paid homage to "topping" a bat in order to determine which team captain would get the first pick in selecting players for a pick-up baseball game, but also have referenced the ball-and-claw style of foot often seen in furniture making.  

On 6/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, totc said:

The Peninsula Pilots (Coastal Plain League) appear to have a new alternate navy jersey with an outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia and a large P coming out if it: They had the Tequila Sunrise a few years back, but it seems to have disappeared, even though staff last year wore an interesting cap with the outline of an F-14 filled in with gaudy stripes like that jersey.

https://twitter.com/PeninsulaPilots/status/1002775155284824064

I unknowingly actually saw this jersey in action last night. There is a player number on the top left-hand side of the jersey. I will admit that I was not a fan of the jersey, but the cap looked great.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I was gonna vote for the Rockers until I found out it's named after the chair.  Blah.

High Point was once the furniture capital of the United States (over half of American furniture was produced in High Point from post-WWII until the 90s) and still hosts the largest furniture trade show in the world. A furniture-related name is an absolute no-brainer.

Dragon Claws is cheesy despite the furniture-related "ball-and-claw" foot that I didn't even pick up on until BiB mentioned it. Rockers is okay, but out of those three, I prefer Splinters. Obvious baseball and furniture tie-in, too bad Ted Williams has no High Point ties.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Studio Stories: The Ingredients Behind the Pizza Rats Design

June 28, 2018 - 11:52 AM

For five Saturdays this summer the Staten Island Yankees take on a fresh identity. And while changing their name—and design—to the Staten Island Pizza Rats may appear all fun and games, the effort to get the name, aesthetic and multi-faceted […]

Read More...

• Like 1

Hartford Yard Goats wonder what might have been

June 28, 2018 - 23:41 PM

Things have worked out fine for the Hartford Yard Goats since their 2016 debut. They’re one of the most talked-about brands in minor league baseball, merchandise sales have been strong, and their ballpark is constantly receiving accolades (after a notably […]

Read More...

44 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

What the **** is a god**** Yard Goat? 

Slang for a small locomotive engine used to ferry trains around a railyard.  Unfortunately, the team doesn't use any railroad imagery, instead fostering confusion by using an actual goat logo.

EDIT: I forgot they do use a wordmark borrowed from an old railroad line logo.

image0031.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pHiL Kizer said:

I really hope some major pro sports teams comes to (and back to) Connecticut. 

Other than the Whalers, what major pro sports teams has Connecticut had?  There was Kraft's idle threat that he would move the Patriots there, but that doesn't count because we didn't believe him. 

I think Connecticut has essentially the same problem as New Jersey; it's sandwiched in between two major markets, and isn't necessarily big enough to have its own teams.  The Devils at least have close proximity to New York City and can cater to those western suburbs and satellite cities.  

• Like 2

Hartford-New Haven and Springfield Mass combine for about 2.2 million, certainly enough for the NHL to fly solo once you figure in New England-wide cable carriage. They'd get by. Plus they'd keep travel costs down for Boston, New York, Long Island, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, so that's rad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/29/2018 at 3:58 PM, Gothamite said:

Other than the Whalers, what major pro sports teams has Connecticut had?  There was Kraft's idle threat that he would move the Patriots there, but that doesn't count because we didn't believe him. 

I think Connecticut has essentially the same problem as New Jersey; it's sandwiched in between two major markets, and isn't necessarily big enough to have its own teams.  The Devils at least have close proximity to New York City and can cater to those western suburbs and satellite cities.  

When I said "back to", I was referring solely to the Whalers.  Regardless of how small a state CT is, it has a ton of dedicated pro sports fans.  The fact that Hartford was a consideration for the Patriots is proof enough for another major sports team to make it's home in CT.  Hell, I was living in Oklahoma when the Thunder arrived (who got a taste of the NBA due to Hurricane Katrina) and I can say that it seemed I was more excited than the born and raised locals for a NBA franchise to show up.  Oklahoma is a high school and college football state.  Most of the people there didn't care about the Thunder until they ended up in the Finals against The Heatles.  To this day, many of them don't really know basketball and it's history, they just know the Thunder because they help put a spotlight on Oklahoma.  Most people in CT are divided between being NY sports fans or Boston sports fans.  All I'm saying is it would be nice if we had our own team(s) to rally behind and be proud of again.  If the state is good enough for Uconn Men's and Women's basketball champions and the WWE, it's good enough for pro sports teams.