Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

9 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

So they're going to slap this on a hat 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg0R_nzyLh8Oi52boO066

Not quite. It's gotta be swinging a bat.

• Like 7
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I know that a lot of it was out of necessity, but things like this always make me wonder who the first person to try something was, and what was going through their mind. Like who is the first person to eat the balls of a bull? Why? Same with onions. Who was the first genius to pull an onion out of the ground and say to themselves "this thing smells so good, I can't wait to bite into it!"?

12 hours ago, BelfourThibault said:

I know that a lot of it was out of necessity, but things like this always make me wonder who the first person to try something was, and what was going through their mind. Like who is the first person to eat the balls of a bull? Why? Same with onions. Who was the first genius to pull an onion out of the ground and say to themselves "this thing smells so good, I can't wait to bite into it!"? 

Made me think of this Far Side comic:

2eb3eb3fe419ccd4b3d64233c3770913.jpg

• Like 2

Myrtle Beach Pelicans promote deaf awareness with jerseys

July 26, 2018 - 11:29 AM

The Myrtle Beach Pelicans, High-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs, will wear specially designed jerseys to promote deaf awareness for a game later this season. The uniforms replace the Pelicans’ traditional script with drawings of hands spelling the team name […]

Read More...

Oh god, the North Alabama/Huntsville Southern League team for 2020 released its top 10 name candidates

• Army Ants: Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
  • Comet Jockeys: “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
  • GloWorms: GlowWorms are rare, tiny, bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of the few places in North Alabama!
  • Lunartics: We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!
  • Puffy Head Bird Legs: No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to lack of gravity!
  • Space Chimps: A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space who is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.
  • Moon Possums: A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family– just like going to a ballgame!
  • Space Sloths: A nod to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
  • ThunderSharks: Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the Ultra-strong, sleek determination of the share and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
  • Trash Pandas: (Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined, and ingenious. A problem solver– dedicated to the challenge at hand– as our local raccoons!

https://whnt.com/2018/07/26/ballcorps-releases-top-10-list-of-madison-minor-league-baseball-team-names/ 

Puffy Head Bird Legs? Okay Now they are just making S**t up.

Lunartics or Trash Pandas are good. If they are the Trash Pandas they need to have an affiliation with the Tampa Bay Sea Flap Flaps

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

It's a lot of detail with eight hands there; I'd rather have a MB patch on the hats and shoulders than having to spell out the whole team name.

IMO it's also a little strange because it's not actually the language. Obviously, the hand drawings are used to teach ASL, but ASL speakers would read normal English letters just fine. It's a different situation than the Spokane Indians or various other-languaged crests.

OK, Baseball has officially jumped the shark, with the Hundreds of special Jerseys per season.

Don't get me wrong, I think Minor League Baseball is the perfect place to do all these Special Jersey Promotions, in most Minor League cities the actual game is often an afterthought.

A good portion of the fans are just out for a good time on a beautiful Sunny Day or Summer Night. A Cold Beer, Good Friends and a Fun Promotion.

But, This makes no sense at all.

Deaf people can read the word "Pelicans" in standard English.

Putting the ASL form of the name on the jersey would make sense if they normally wore a blank shirt with a little speaker embedded that continuously broadcast the word Pelicans, Pelicans, Pelicans.... Then it would make sense that if you were deaf you would be missing something and possibly not know the name of the team playing in that Jersey.

Now what they could do for any deaf patrons at the game for Deaf Awareness Night is have someone on the Scoreboard signing everything the public address announcer is saying throughout the game. That is the part of the game that a deaf fan is missing because of their hearing loss.

I put this one right up there with the Hispanic Heritage jerseys that say "Los Mets" when the Jerseys don't normally have "The Mets" on them.

The Brewers should have "Cerveceros" on their jersey (but not Los Cerveceros), Mets should just be Mets since there is no direct spanish translation for Metropolitans.

New North Alabama minor league team reveals spacey name options

July 28, 2018 - 11:09 AM

When the Double-A Mobile BayBears relocate to Madison, Alabama, for the 2020 season, the franchise will take on a new nickname. We know now that the moniker will be one of the 10 listed below, which were among more than […]

Read More...

RiverDogs honor beloved vendor, to play as Boiled Peanuts

July 28, 2018 - 11:59 AM

The Charleston RiverDogs, Single-A affiliate of the New York Yankees, are the latest minor league baseball team to adopt a local food specialty as a temporary brand tonight. The nickname Boiled Peanuts is in part an homage to a squishy […]

Read More...