Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

On 10/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, Dilbert said:

At this point the Atlantic League and American Association should merge too. Supposedly New Britain is leaving the Atlantic League, leaving them with an uneven team count, not to mention their lone team outside the Atlantic footprint in Sugar Land Texas.

According to recent reports, Sugar Land and St. Paul may be joining MiLB as part of a mass reorganization

On 10/10/2019 at 11:57 PM, BigEd76 said:

1. You forgot the Kannapolis Intimidators, who will be getting a new name on October 23

2. The reason why there aren't many relocations or brand changes this offseason is because minor league affiliate deals are done in multiples of two years (assuming the major league affiliate doesn't own the team already) and run out after seasons in even-numbered years, and any potential relocations are planned during those times. As of now, the only one after 2020 is Pawtucket to Worcester.

Kannapolis Intimidators will be revealing their new name tomorrow.  They were named the Intimidators after former owner Dale Earnhardt.  Moving to a new ballpark in 2020 gives them a reason for a rebrand.  Their announcement for the reveal looks to have a circus theme.  I was kind of hoping they would go back to the Piedmont BollWeevils.  We'll find out tomorrow.

Image result for piedmont boll weevils

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, Mr. Bojangles said:

Kannapolis Intimidators will be revealing their new name tomorrow... Their announcement for the reveal looks to have a circus theme.

Coverage of the event in the Salisbury Post newspaper notes that a street festival following the announcement will feature, amongst other attractions, "circus performers". Perhaps a circus-themed identity featuring a logo centered on a depiction of a human cannonball? The Kannapolis Cannons or Kannapolis Cannonballs for a name? After all, Kannapolis was established on land owned by Cannon Mills founder James William Cannon.     

• Like 3

While I would rather see the South Atlantic League's Kannapolis team be called the Cannons or the Cannonballs (even with a spelling of either nickname with a K instead of a C) if the plan is for a circus-inspired nickname, a third possibility for a name with a circus theme may well be the Kannapolis Clowns.  If nothing else, the team's ownership could spin such a choice of name as a tribute to the Indianapolis Clowns, who were Negro League baseball's last surviving professional club, the first pro baseball team to employ and use Hank Aaron as a player, and probably the closest thing that baseball has ever had to an equivalent to the Harlem Globetrotters.

• Like 1

All this buildup for a team that could get fortyseconded to fulfill MLB's bloodlust to move MILB to the exurbs of MLB cities? Yeah, right.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

It's......not too bad, actually.

Granted the name is still the all-too-formulaic CITY ADJECTIVE PLURAL NOUN that's been infesting the minor leagues in recent years, but I like the clever nod to the prior identity by giving the guy a Dale Earnhardt mustache. (That along with the stealth 3 in the B.) Plus the historical nod to the Cannon textile mill works.

I'd be really interested to see the rest of the logo set.

• Like 4

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I really like the logos - the font is great and there's plenty of minor league whimsy without being over the top. The subtle nod to Dale is nice as well.

I'm not sold on Cannon Ballers as a name. I'm fully aware of Cannon Mills' history in Kannapolis, but I think the jump from Cannon Mills to human cannonballs is... Evel Knievel over the Snake River canyon.

That said, it beats the pants off the Intimidators name and logo set.

• Like 6

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

My first reaction, based purely on the name and logo sheet, was that this was the cleanest, simplest, and most cohesive look I'd seen from Brandiose.

Knowing it's Studio Simon makes a lot more sense. They look amazing, I already want a hat. The name is definitely a bit silly, but Simon had to balance the community's "Cannons" suggestion and the owners' desire to be more whimsical and family friendly than Intimidators. 

Overall, I think this is a testament to working with the community and keeping designing centered on the team and not what the design firm thinks will be fun.

Hi, Brandiose.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Studio Simon I believe. Good work.

Studio Simon has been providing generally good nicknames and visual identities for its baseball team clients so far.  However, a part of me hopes that Studio Simon does not become too popular among baseball clubs, lest the company then become inclined to perform its work at least as formulaically as has Brandiose.

• Like 3