Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why would MLB/MiLB want to create a league of players not under contract with them?  That doesn't make any sense at all.  

Dream League = We aren't going to pay you to play. MLB doesnt want to keep losing money in small MiLB markets, but still wants to access to talent.

SIG.png

I think it would. From my current understanding they're effectively stripping affiliation from teams not replacing or cancelling them. There are still costs associated with running these teams (stadium, personnel, game day experience etc.), so unless this turns into a GCL type league, I'd imagine cutting player salaries is going to make a difference in MLB's eyes. They wouldn't shake things up to this extent if it wasnt about money.

SIG.png

On 11/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, LA_Angels said:

I think it would. From my current understanding they're effectively stripping affiliation from teams not replacing or cancelling them. There are still costs associated with running these teams (stadium, personnel, game day experience etc.), so unless this turns into a GCL type league, I'd imagine cutting player salaries is going to make a difference in MLB's eyes. They wouldn't shake things up to this extent if it wasnt about money.

This is about money insofar as late-stage capitalism values extracting every last marginal dollar at all costs.  Most of those 42 teams won't survive long without more direct MLB subsidies, lets stop kidding ourselves and assuming good faith behavior right there.  Houston did come up with this mostly because they figured their scouting (and presumptive cheating) will allow them to maximize player talent if you cut the player pools available to other teams.

• Like 3
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 11/18/2019 at 1:52 PM, Gothamite said:

Why would MLB/MiLB want to create a league of players not under contract with them?  That doesn't make any sense at all.  

This was the fig leaf the braintrust in Houston thought up to explain why MLB shouldn't lose the anti-trust exemption.

• Like 2
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The so-called "Dream" League would be a nightmare for its team owners. They - not MLB - would be on the hook for acquiring their own players and paying said athletes, as well their coaches and training staff. The increase in costs - from salaries, worker's compensation, support staffing - associated with going from owning an affiliated MiLB franchise to owning a Dream League team is being estimated as falling somewhere between $300,000 to $400,000. Which is why the suits in MLB are also encouraging current MiLB owners who don't think that they'd be able to afford said increase to join amateur summer wood bat leagues that MLB would help organize.

This stands to be an absolute cluster***k for many affiliated MiLB owners and the markets they play in.

#StrikeOutTheExemption     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The so-called "Dream" League would be a nightmare for its team owners. They - not MLB - would be on the hook for acquiring their own players and paying said athletes, as well their coaches and training staff. The increase in costs - from salaries, worker's compensation, support staffing - associated with going from owning an affiliated MiLB franchise to owning a Dream League team is being estimated as falling somewhere between $300,000 to $400,000. Which is why the suits in MLB are also encouraging current MiLB owners who don't think that they'd be able to afford said increase to join amateur summer wood bat leagues that MLB would help organize.

I, for one, hope that if and when Major League Baseball banishes all of those teams from the established minor leagues, the owners of the displaced MiLB teams will reject involvement in any new league organized at least partly by MLB, whether it is an "independent" professional league like the "Dream" league or a summer collegiate league.  Instead, in my opinion, those owners who are willing and financially able to transform their MiLB franchises into independent pro teams should either try to get their clubs into established independent pro baseball leagues or band together to form one or more new truly independent pro leagues that would have no involvement with MLB whatsoever.  Likewise, I think that those owners who believe that their MiLB clubs could survive without an MLB team affiliation only with a switch to unpaid college players should either try to secure places for their teams in existing summer collegiate baseball leagues or join forces to create one or more new summer collegiate leagues that would keep well away from any connection with MLB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Instead, in my opinion, those owners who are willing and financially able to transform their MiLB franchises into independent pro teams should either try to get their clubs into established independent pro baseball leagues

I am definitely for this.  The current situation should really be a boon for the independent leagues, on account of the availability of both owners and playing talent.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The indie leagues have been struggling and merging, and the two biggest indie teams will jump to affiliated ball under this plan. Indie ball has a higher level of cost uncertainty, due to no salary subsidies coming from up top, and a similar deficit in support staff and resources. Five regional reincarnations of the North American League aren't good for baseball or for anybody.

Collegiate wood bat has been growing, and hey, free labor. But that level has no need for 40 new teams.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Again, those Appy League ballparks are going to be empty if the majors pull the plug-those towns are too small to be viable absent subsidies.  Travel burdens probably kills most of the Pioneer League markets.

For the record, St. Paul did say they were surprised as the rest of us by this announcement, so probably neither they nor Sugarland (selected because Austin's too far away for the Astros *eye rolls into back of skull*) are formally part of this.

Today, we are all otaku.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, rams80 said:

For the record, St. Paul did say they were surprised as the rest of us by this announcement, so probably neither they nor Sugarland (selected because Austin's too far away for the Astros *eye rolls into back of skull*) are formally part of this.

If the St. Paul and Sugar Land indie-league teams are indeed earmarked for moves to MLB-affiliated minor leagues, then the latest plan seems to be that:

• the St. Paul Saints would take the Fresno Grizzlies' place in the AAA Pacific Coast League,
  • the Grizzlies would then replace the departing Lancaster JetHawks in either the existing High A California League or a new West Coast-based lower-level minor league that would include the Cal League's remaining teams,
  • the Sugar Land Skeeters would follow the Saints into the PCL, and
  • a second PCL club would then be forced to move to a lower-level minor league.

However, I remember reading at least one earlier story that suggested that the Skeeters would head instead for the AA Texas League.

Oh, well, if the Skeeters wind up in the PCL and the Astros make the Skeeters their AAA affiliate at the first possible opportunity, then the Round Rock Express might gain a chance to reunite with the Texas Rangers -- who, for the time being, have opted for the Nashville Sounds as their AAA representative largely because the Rangers organization (a) regards the now-PCL-member San Antonio Missions' current venue as too decrepit and (b) sees too little, if any, progress being made toward a new ballpark for the Missions anywhere in the San Antonio area.

Danville Braves update logos

November 22, 2019 - 18:04 PM

The Danville Braves, advanced rookie-level affiliate of the Atlanta Braves, unveiled a suite of logos today, including a roundel primary logo and two new cap logos. Danville made the announcement, which includes a primary and two cap logos, despite the […]

Read More...

Unless I am mistaken, the Atlanta Braves organization is the Danville Braves' actual owner; while every Appalachian League team takes the nickname of its MLB parent club, at least some of those teams are owned separately from their parent clubs.  Therefore, as dire as the Appy League's future seems to be, the Atlanta Braves probably have much more of a luxury in updating the Danville club's logos than do the Appy League team owners or ownership groups that are separate from their parent clubs' ownerships.  If nothing else, the Atlanta Braves organization could modify the Danville team's emblems for one of the remaining clubs in the Braves' farm system if and when the D-Braves and the Appy League are ejected from the established MiLB framework.

Edited by Walk-Off
putting actual original content into what was originally a accidental duplicate post

14 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Any guesses for the soon to be ex- Pawtucket Red Sox? Something with gritted teeth?  [Adjective] [local cuisine]s? 

I may not a betting man, nor do I have a farm, but if either of those were true, I would bet the deed to the farm on this. #EasyMoney

Edited by DustDevil61
Phrasing cleanup, #EasyMoney

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396