Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Ever since the PawSox announced their move to Worcester, I have been under the impression that they would become simply the Worcester Red Sox, or "WooSox" for short.  Not only is the team relocating from one area that is close to Boston and has a large Boston Red Sox fanbase to another community with those two attributes, but the AAA team's principal owner also is or was a holder of a minority stake in the parent club.

Well, they registered Ruby LegsWicked Worms and Worcesters with the United States Patent & Trademark Office back in June. That said, I would not be at all shocked if they simply opted to continue in the same vein as they utilized for branding in Pawtucket, dubbing the team the Worcester Red Sox, utilizing WooSox as a less formal nickname, and getting creative in the area of logos that feature a crazy mascot.  

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

Well, they registered Ruby LegsWicked Worms and Worcesters with the United States Patent & Trademark Office back in June.

Ruby Legs might help to distinguish the Worcester team from the Boston Red Sox, but that nickname is similar enough to Red Sox that the Worcester club would be an awkward position should the team's ties to the Bosox ever disintegrate.  Wicked Worms makes for a definitely independent identity and also employs a distinctly New England slang word, but also seems to be far too tailor-made for the Brandiose formula.

20 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Ruby Legs might help to distinguish the Worcester team from the Boston Red Sox, but that nickname is similar enough to Red Sox that the Worcester club would be an awkward position should the team's ties to the Bosox ever disintegrate.

If said ties were ever severed, the Worcester-based farm team would just rebrand... and dip into the pockets of folks buying souvenir merchandise emblazoned with the new name and  logos.   

• Like 2

Woo Sox it is. Officially Worcester Red Sox with a logo that's an old Walmart smile logo swinging a bat wearing red socks.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Ajy8Cvil.png  rGlDkIdm.png

n6R4JNHh.png

While the heart that's worked into the W in the WooSox script is a clever touch (Worcester is nicknamed "The Heart of the Commonwealth", both for its geographic location and the fact that it was the birthplace of modern Valentine's Day cards), I hate that said word mark clashes with the traditional Red Sox font. The mascot - Smiley Ball - is a cute reference to the fact that the Smiley Face icon was created in Worcester by Harvey Ball, though I'm not a fan of the fact that he's wearing a red cap. That lid should be blue.

And speaking of caps... there's no need for so many of them. Frankly, the blue one with the W in a classic Red Sox font would suffice. Maybe - maybe - a second cap... perhaps the red one with the blue visor, but with the heart-W on it. Eight caps is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Well okay at least it isnt the (unnecessary adjective) animals. Im fine with Worcester Red Sox or WooSox.

Oh and apparently Worcester is the birthplace of the iconic smiley face. As for the Heart W, Worcester was also the home for the first commercial valentine.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

32 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

Woo Sox it is. Officially Worcester Red Sox with a logo that's an old Walmart smile logo swinging a bat wearing red socks.

Color me surprised. Brandiose showing a rare case of restraint! The obscure references to Worcester (the Smiley Face Batter and the subtle heart in the W) aren't shoehorned in and are actually legitimate!

Edited by DustDevil61
Moved my comments outside quote box, further thoughts.
  • Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I was hoping for Ruby Legs, but I'm actually okay with this.  Though I wonder if that's not because Brandiose has set the bar so low that simply borrowing the parent club's brand feels sensible and dignified.

EDIT: I don't mean for that to take away from the phenomenal job they did here, which might actually be the new gold standard by which I judge how a parent club's identity becomes localized.  The local Woo Sox tie-ins don't feel forced and are charmingly appropriate for minor league ball.

31 minutes ago, schlim said:

I don't care, I lived in central Mass for 20 years, that's really not a thing. I don't care how you pronounce 'haaaaht'.

Well, "The Heart of the Commonwealth" motto's been around since October of 1831. I suspect that was a bit before your 20-year stint in Central Massachusetts. Governor Levi Lincoln of Massachusetts, who would later go on to serve as the City of Worcester's first mayor, coined the phrase. Since then, it's been used to describe both the City of Worcester and Worcester County. It's the reason the image of a heart adorns the Worcester city seal and, by extension, everything from the city flag to city street signs.    

In any event, when it comes to invoking municipal mottos and nicknames, the only folks capable of outdoing local politicos and chamber of commerce officials are sports branding professionals.  

• Like 2