Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

I missed this when it happened, but the 2021 expansion Sylvan Lake team in the WCBL unveiled their name and logo back in March.

334100a4-8488-422c-80e5-8e5915e65b15.png

There is something off about the head of the gull and the notches at the bottom of the outline are unnecessary/don't line up with the G nor the S, but is easily one of the better logos in the league because most are middling to bad.

90431685_192408618868044_189289541567040

The blob in the middle of this logo is eponymous lake. The fact the N in "SEASON" is partially covered by the lake and the need for a maple leaf in an all-Canadian league aren't great, but having a semi-competent alternate logo is a step above for teams in this league.

Though they might not have a stadium built for 2021 because of the COVID-19 shutdown and subsequent economic downturn.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

• 3 weeks later...

Kalamazoo Growlers to play as Mac Daddies

May 28, 2020 - 20:55 PM

The Kalamazoo Growlers were supposed to tip their caps to dairy-loving dads by playing as the Mac Daddies this Fathers Day weekend, but with baseball schedules everywhere upended by the COVID-19 crisis, the promotion has been delayed until later in […]

Read More...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

So...part of me says "What is this powder blue thing at home?  Don't these teams know this was a road uniform?"  But I'll be honest...powder blue is a personal favorite color of mine, and I'm willing to ignore that because of my own biases.  Being from Lexington and just a short roll down, and knowing where the name "Y'all" comes from...I actually really like these.  They're easy on the eyes, the hats are nice, fairly clean....

For a Frontier League team...i'm a fan.  They're not perfect or anything.  But considering where they're situated in terms of professional baseball...they're solid.

• Like 2

Brand new Florence Y’alls unveil classic uniforms

June 9, 2020 - 00:54 AM

The color palette that makes up the brand of the Florence Y’alls derives from a 45-year-old water tower in the town of Florence, Kentucky. When the franchise rebranded as the Y’alls just a few months ago after playing as the […]

Read More...

I love everything about this, especially the name. It's perfect for community-based independent minor league baseball. It's certainly got more staying power than some names we've seen before, and seems to be far less of a novelty than other whimsical names that have since proven their worth (the Isotopes and Biscuits, to name a few.) 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ~Bear said:

The name is....dumb, to be frank, but the brand itself is classy enough to overcome to overly silly name. 

If you're familiar with Florence, the name makes perfect sense. My Mom used to live in Florence.  When I was there, "Florence, Y'all" wasn't just on the water tower, it seemed like it was everywhere. No idea if it still does, but the city used to have an annual "Y'all Festival."

Anyway, I love the look and the name. Well done.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

Aw, I was really proud of that one. I get it, though.

Anyway, this uniform sold me on a name I initially wasn't very high on. Overall, minor league teams have become a bit twee for my liking (I know they have to sell tickets and merchandise, and the Poughkeepsie Jedi Knights probably fares better than the Junior Yankees or whatever), but when a look comes together so nicely, I just have to shut up and enjoy it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

I used to work for this team for a few years, and have given them nothing but crap since then, but they absolutely nailed this. The previous owner (RIP) had been considering this name change about 10+ years before this.

This feels like a clever play on the Yankees, as many southerners (who say y'all) would refer to northerners as those "damn yankees." Was that his intent? 

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Aw, I was really proud of that one. I get it, though.

Anyway, this uniform sold me on a name I initially wasn't very high on. Overall, minor league teams have become a bit twee for my liking (I know they have to sell tickets and merchandise, and the Poughkeepsie Jedi Knights probably fares better than the Junior Yankees or whatever), but when a look comes together so nicely, I just have to shut up and enjoy it.

The Y'alls remind me of the Yinzers. 

ucgdhiuavps9cybwpvtk.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

2 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

The Y'alls reminds me of the Yinzers. 

Agreed. I hated those. Looked like something you'd see hanging up in a Strip District storefront window, faded by the sun, with a hot pink $5 price tag attached to it. These are much better.

7 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

This feels like a clever play on the Yankees, as many southerners (who say y'all) would refer to northerners as those "damn yankees." Was that his intent? 

I seriously doubt it. As I said in my previous post, Florence is all about the "Y'all" bit. FWIW, my entire family is from Kentucky. I've heard "Y'all" more times than I can count. I've never heard a Kentucky hillbilly, relative or otherwise, say "damn yankees." They call us Ohioans "buckeyes" and it's not meant as a reference to Ohio State. No idea how they refer to people from other states, but if it's "damn yankees", I've never heard it.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, infrared41 said:

I seriously doubt it. As I said in my previous post, Florence is all about the "Y'all" bit. FWIW, my entire family is from Kentucky. I've heard "Y'all" more times than I can count. I've never heard a Kentucky hillbilly, relative or otherwise, say "damn yankees." They call us Ohioans "buckeyes" and it's not meant as a reference to Ohio State. No idea how they refer to people from other states.

Thanks, I saw your post after posting. I was just curious. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.