Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

West Coast League adds Kamloops Northpaws

September 10, 2020 - 22:03 PM

The Kamloops Northpaws will be the 14th team in the quickly expanding collegiate summer level West Coast League in 2021. The team was introduced this week in the town of Kamloops, British Columbia, about 350 kilometers northeast of Vancouver. The nickname is a play off the baseball term “southpaw,” a

Read More...

• Like 1

And the last finalist...the Supper Clubbers.

This one actually makes a bit of sense, as supper clubs can be found ALL THROUGHOUT Wisconsin (though not here in Racine, for some reason)...but still, when the fan vote opens later today, they'd BETTER have Snappers as a sixth finalist.

bYhYmxh.png

Cheeseballs? Moo? Polka Pike? Sky Carp? Supper Clubbers?

Given decisions like these, Rob Manfred-and-Company doing their damnedest to off affiliated minor league baseball could end up being regarded as a "mercy killing".

Seriously though, my gut tells me that unless team ownership is engaging in this as a charade meant to galvanize support for - and generate enthusiasm in - the Snappers brand of baseball, the team is going to wind up either the Beloit Cheeseballs or Beloit Polka Pike.  

• Like 1

Good God almighty. Not a salvageable identity in the lot. My joking attempt at Brandiosing them into the "Stateline RockRollers" seems tolerable by comparison.

I now humbly suggest the Beloit Woodmen, in homage to my preferred stop for beer, meats, and cheeses whenever I would drop off or pick up an order at EPS.

• Like 5
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Beloit Snappers unveil team name finalists

September 11, 2020 - 19:25 PM

The franchise known as the Beloit Snappers for 25 years revealed five finalists for their new name over the course of this week. Fans will have the opportunity to vote on the team’s website on the options listed below. Every time a minor league team changes names, it faces backlash

Read More...

My guess? This is a useless publicity stunt that will have proven to be a giant waste of time.

In a week or so, they'll come back and say, "we heard your pleas. None of these are as good as Snappers. After an overwhelming response, we've decided to keep the name." 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

My guess? This is a useless publicity stunt that will have proven to be a giant waste of time.

In a week or so, they'll come back and say, "we heard your pleas. None of these are as good as Snappers. After an overwhelming response, we've decided to keep the name." 

Didn't another team do that recently?  Sounds familiar.  They can keep the name just change the look.  It could use an upgrade.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

These names are even more awful than I suspected they would be. In some “rename the team” abominations, there is almost always at least one name that isn’t a complete embarrassment, and MIGHT be passable. Not here. Every single one of these team names are horrendous.

“If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” applies here. If you’re gonna fix it, don’t make it far worse.  

• Like 2
Texas.gif

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I shuddered when I saw that Brandoise was overseeing it. They love using silly adjective nouns.

I like to imagine that Brandiose headquarters is like some sort of Pee-Wee's Playhouse menagerie of whimsy but it probably just looks like a WeWork

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I like to imagine that Brandiose headquarters is like some sort of Pee-Wee's Playhouse menagerie of whimsy but it probably just looks like a WeWork

Stop bringing Pee Wee Herman into these discussions.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

It seems like I have to express my utter disdain for Brandiose every 3 months whenever Citynicknamenobodyuses Adjective Nouns are announced and we get another logo traced over the Swingin' Friar.  Their pitch of MERCH SALES MERCH SALES MERCH SALES!!! must go over incredibly well, but these looks are played out after a month and teams end up doing other ridiculous one-time brands to drum up that merch sales support one more time. They become dependent on Brandiose and come crawling back every time the look grows stale and people stop buying stuff. In reality it just creates weak brands and is part of the watering down of MILB that is causing its demise. I have no idea where half the teams play because I have no idea where Rocket City is, and Trash Pandas certainly doesn't provide any clues. 

There are teams that haven't gone with a kitsch brand and are still doing great sales, hell my local summer collegiate club does consistently great with merch because they put out fresh merch instead of kitsch names and logos. It's possible, put out a brand that people want to wear repeatedly and they'll keep buying it. Put out 'city jerseys' and follow fashion trends. Screw it, do one night specials and rebrand your club for a couple Saturdays each year with a fun name to cash in on whatever Brandiose is pitching, but establish a respectable brand first. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. I'll be giving it again next time Brandiose seduces some poor sap with the promise of merch sales. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kimball said:

They should just be the Snappers BUT the Beloit Sky Carp is fitting.

If they're trying to pass that off as a nickname for geese, they'll be called the "Beloit Sky Crap" by people far and wide within hours of the unveiling.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.