Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm trying to figure out the logic to all this: they need a new name so that people will go to games and buy merchandise, but people don't want the new name and wouldn't buy the new merchandise, but also the team is still going to wear Snappers stuff for Sunday home games? Guy gave away the game when he said "well then you pay for it," he's just a small-timer who wants a toy to play with. 

The guy is also the owner of the Pensacola Blue Wahoos for what that's worth, but it does come into play.

He says that without this new stadium, the team wouldn't exist anymore, which would line up with Beloit being on the alleged list of MiLB cuts at the beginning but apparently not anymore. He said that the team is not leasing this new stadium from a landlord like the city or whoever, instead the team is on the hook for all the costs associated for the stadium (which is a roundabout way of saying the team owns the stadium?) so the re-branding is an effort to increase the merchandise revenue stream to add more money to the coffers. 

EhfUr9GX0Asejc8?format=png&name=medium

I think a lot of it is what Brandiose and other rebrandings have done to the MiLB where teams become like the Cowtown YeeHaw Buckaroos instead of the Calgary Cowboys. Yeah the local fans might not like it, but look at how many wacky hats they've sold to people on the internet and how much money they've made, so other owners take notice.

There are still wacky teams and logos that have good branding but are restrained, like the Blue Wahoos, but most are trying to go to far.

IEI5Tg1.png

As I alluded to, the Rock River Valley is one of the most ass-kicked regions in the entire Midwest and the rest of the country is going down the tubes too. Where the hell is $300,000 in hat and t-shirt sales coming from? irony posters who live in Northern Virginia? That's who's buying Beloit Polka Pike crap? That's really their business plan. Okay. 

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whatever market there could conceivably be for any of these names is already served by all the other goofy names in MiLB.  I just came up with the name RiverRockers.  Even if they were the Rock River RiverRockers, it's still more palatable than the crap they actually came up with.

Also, to the point about the Moo being too close to Wisconsin's Udder Tuggers brand.  Supper Clubbers is a reject of another recent rebrand (I want to say Green Bay).

If the idea here is that team owners give Brandiose money so that Paul Lukas gives the baseball teams money, why don't they simply cut out the middleman and have Brandiose personally design shirts for Paul Lukas? A lot of their stuff now is part-time identities, and a quarter of these teams are going to cease to exist anyway, so why do the teams ever have to have existed in the first place? Just invent the Beloit Roofing Mishaps for marketing purposes and don't even field the team. Are they real? I don't know! No one needs to know!

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When a league like this announces an expansion to 15 teams, that means a contraction to 14 or 12 is not far behind.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

When a league like this announces an expansion to 15 teams, that means a contraction to 14 or 12 is not far behind.

Yeah but with MiLB imploding this offseason, several markets could join the ranks of the frontier league. Cities like Charleston, Clinton, Burlington, Quad Cities, Williamsport, Auburn, Batavia, State College would all fit in the Frontier League footprint.

Signature intentionally left blank

Appalachian League changes mean new team names

September 30, 2020 - 01:03 AM

The first domino in the long-anticipated changes to affiliated Minor League Baseball has fallen, and the result will be 10 new team brands. The Appalachian League, whose teams have been affiliated with Major League Baseball parent clubs since 1911, will become an independent collegiate summer wood bat league. All 10

Read More...

Adding more context regarding what the Appy League is changing into (Source).

The new Appy League will be a part of the Prospect Development Pipeline — a collaborative effort between MLB and USA Baseball that targets high-level amateur players and grooms them for potential national team participation and professional opportunities.

USA Baseball will help select the 320 players assigned to the 10 teams in 2021. Teams will be coached by a combination of USA Baseball staff, college coaches and pro-development personnel and will be scouted heavily by all 30 MLB teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Gastonia baseball team announces five name finalists

October 9, 2020 - 13:32 PM

The city of Gastonia, North Carolina, will be home to a new baseball team in the independent Atlantic League beginning with the 2021 season. After a summer of collecting suggestions in a name-the-team contest, the team unveiled its five finalists this week: Fire Ants, Hogzillas (the early leader, based on

Read More...

If you're going to name-check "Gaston County's first freed slave and African American land owner" as part of the justification for the Honey Hunters identity, you ought to take the trouble to cite said individual's name correctly in your promotional copy. The gentleman in question was Ransom Hunter, not Hunter Ransom.

UPDATE: The Gastonia Pro Baseball website has corrected its initial mistaken listing of "Hunter Ransom" as the name of Gaston County's first freed slave and African American land owner. That said, as of 2:00 PM (PST), some outlets - the Gastonia Gazette for example - are still running the original erroneous information.   

• Like 3

20 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Here's the perfect mascot for the Honey Hunters.

spacer.png

Clap. Clap. POOHS!

Clap. Clap. POOHS!

Clap. Clap. POOHS!

Intensify as needed.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

Has anybody compiled all these new temporary baseball names and/or identities? Seems like some of them could make for a good inspiration folder (and a very valid new section under baseball on the mothership?).

Agreed. I like the K-Town Bobbers (the intersquad nickname of the Kenosha Kingfish) which has a cool red and powder blue scheme and I like the caps.