Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Someone should be defending Casey and Jason the same way people defend Nike or adidas. The redundancy is not entirely their fault. Sure, it seems formulaic to see each minor league team release an identity with an ornate custom wordmark, a batting mascot logo, and a tertiary logo that is based off something off the beaten path. But if they walk into Team A's office and the ownership group says they want those things, their job is to make the customer happy while also producing work they can stand behind. If an owner knows that the Montgomery Biscuits made a ton of money off their logo being popular, they will want something similar (Modesto Nuts, Biloxi Shuckers, etc.) so that they can make that money too. If Brandiose doesn't want to deliver that, they know Simon or some up-and-coming design firm will.

Everyone has a right to do something to put food on the table.

/Ends defense

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From outside appearances, it's almost as if Brandiose has been secretly overthrown from the inside by a parody account of themselves. Every year, their designs get more obscure, nonsensical, and just plain dumb. Before they used to only get a little zany when the project called for it; now, they can't seem to release a logo package without including some strange stadium food personified into a baseball player. Brandiose is now like a hipster who has taken his love of irony so far, he's lost track of everything he actually enjoys and can now only communicate through obscure Golden Girls quotes while riding his Razor scooter.

On a related note, this happened today:

ravxP9o.jpg

Awkward.

• Like 2

Remember when we all seemed to be ape- :censored: about Brandiose/Plan B? It's funny that as soon as a small studio has success we turn on them.

*well written critique of Brandiose deleted for space considerations*

Case in point-that Tennessee Smokies package you posted. Yes, there are 9 different logos/marks, but it boils down to only 2.5/3 elements. A bear, the Chicago Cubs, and the state of Tennessee. Simple and to the point.

A lesson for Brandiose to consider.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't have a problem with Brandiose getting crazy with their logos. You need crazy, obscene logos and names to offset the boring ones. I like Studio Simons work, it great, but Brandiose is good too. I personally like that Brandiose takes ballpark foods or unique objects and make them play baseball. It's fun, it's different, get over it.

• Like 1

2mow2dk.jpg2j2sx87.jpgscz0cx.jpgkdsrir.jpg

From outside appearances, it's almost as if Brandiose has been secretly overthrown from the inside by a parody account of themselves. Every year, their designs get more obscure, nonsensical, and just plain dumb. Before they used to only get a little zany when the project called for it; now, they can't seem to release a logo package without including some strange stadium food personified into a baseball player. Brandiose is now like a hipster who has taken his love of irony so far, he's lost track of everything he actually enjoys and can now only communicate through obscure Golden Girls quotes while riding his Razor scooter.

The term for this is "going up your ass." Brandiose has gone up its ass.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wonder how much of Bosack's style and Brandiose's style that we see today is a result of their clients' desires shaping it over time. What I mean is Brandiose has obviously found their niche (or almost monopoly) in minor league baseball and Bosack does his fair share of college logos these days, but they don't seem to cross those lines too often. I love Bosack's timeless and classic look, and Brandiose's style fits minor league baseball. But if Bosack were doing a minor league logo and Brandiose a college logo, I'd imagine we'd be seeing different results and styles than what the usually see.

What kind of work does Brandiose even do outside of minor league baseball?

I've only been paying attention to who's who in sports design for 2-3 years, but I imagine every time Brandiose sits down with a new minor league team to discuss the new logo package, the team knows that they did this super clever, almost gimmicky design for Team X over there, so they choose Brandiose for that exact reason, not realizing that just because it worked for Team X doesn't mean it has to be forced for them, and Brandiose has no choice but to try and make it happen resulting in forced ideas, such as a pepper for an S in San Antonio. I think Studio Simon's Smokies logo is a perfect example of how a minor league logo doesn't need that twist to be good. I can't get enough of that bear and lettering.

I wonder how much of this is minor league baseball trying to be all things to all people.

The team I follow rolls out at least one new logo every year -- and it almost always is on a cap -- to the point that I think they might have six total now. I have no idea when they wear these or how often, since most are intended for home use.

And every year, it strays further away from the core identity, all to sell more merchandise, I presume.

Brandiose is likely giving them what they want. Much like in college football, I think consistent designs are a lost cause in MiLB, with a few exceptions.

It is a good logo. But I agree in that they're diluting their identity regardless of theirs or Brandiose's motives.

I mean, I'm not sure what their uniform/hat schedule is like, but these two hats...

Home_300.jpg

BallGuyCap_300.jpg

...should not coexist. That's just overkill. And if you absolutely must have two hats with such similar logos, at least put them on different colored bases (i.e. make it a special white-crowned cap or something like that). Three, maybe four on-field hats is fine. But five or six? Come on.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The top one was all black until last year, I believe.

Yes. I'm a River Bandits guy, sorry. But they aren't a Brandiose team. My wording above makes that unclear.

In recent years, they've had the two above, a black cap with just QC, an all red cap with raccoon logo, a throwback ball/bandana (no hat), a QC with hat and bandana added (red and black, then black and red), an updated ball/bandana logo splashing into water, a claw holding a ball, and one with raccoon holding bat on shoulder.

They also needlessly (IMO) updated the uni script with outlines and a hat.

Umm...

B33OMorIMAAvZ2B.jpg

...via Benjamin Hill on Twitter. I'm not liking the sound of this. The Storm have one of my favorite single-A identities. They could stand for some minor uniform set tweaks, but with Brandiose coming along, one of the fiercest clubs out there is about to get cute and cuddly.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Actually, it could have been a lot worse.

For one, the Amarillo Sox was a terrible name with a culture of losing. In my circle of friends here in Amarillo, we labeled them "the Sux". So to change the culture and to prepare for the opening of the new downtown stadium, Stephanie Tucker (the General Manager) held a "name-the-team" contest. This is what came out of that contest. Another interesting point to make about the Dillas nickname is that the ownership who held the name has a debt (from unpaid bills, etc.) and even if the fans wanted the Dillas to return, Tucker and the current ownership were unable to attain the Dillas nickname.

Regarding the Thunderheads logo, the gold symbolizes the lineage of both the Sox and Gold Sox. The navy blue and scarlet red symbolize the connection to the Amarillo Dillas. In my opinion, while it is imperfect... it's a good call back and is a step in a new direction.