Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Ugh

image_zpscf65afbc.jpg

Is there some resonance to the bricks? Do they play in an historic ballpark or in an industrial part of town or something?

The "OKLA" mark is a clever idea, but the execution is pretty poor. I guess the "O K C" monogram is good enough, although it would be the weakest element in almost any decent team package.

I would love to see them use that wordmark script on their jerseys instead of the Dodgers' usual one. It would set them apart from the parent club, even subtly, and besides, somebody should. It's gorgeous.

Oklahoma City is nicknamed "Bricktown"

I understand being hemmed in by having a parent club name but these logos are just a mishmash. I would't mind all the bricks being red or having a OKC monogram in the LA style. Heck, an all Brooklyn Dodger approach would be great. I think a group looked at two or three approaches and handpicked a almost random looking assortment.

So the announcement on the homepage shows a pic with all the uniforms.

Home(?): turn-of-the-century style blue jersey AND pants(!) with giant "OKC" across the front, and a blue with white front panel cap. Please tell me that's not the default home look.

Road: gray with "Oklahoma" (strange to leave out "City") in Dodgers-style cursive, and gray cap with blue bill. Yuck to that being the default road cap.

Alt/BP: blue jersey with number on one side of chest and "OKLA" logo on other side. Looks like a pullover, either that or a button-up with neck trim.

Why oh why would you pair a white front panel cap with a turn-of-the-century type uniform? Do they even have a "traditional" home uniform in the lineup? So many questions...too many.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Just out of curiosity what is your guys' perfect rebrand of a MiLB team in recent memory? Seems to me the majority of people on here think most rebrands are either too gimmicky and whimsical or too boring and forced. Too many Statler's and Waldorf's in the balcony.

Well, it just goes to show that whether you hire a well-known graphic design/branding firm, or opt to "do it yourself", there's no guarantee that the results will be well-received.

Personally, I think this is a big swing and a miss on the part of Ross Yoshida and the Los Angeles Dodgers' in-house graphic design team. The only component of the brand package I find at all appealing is the "OKC" monogram. In my opinion, everything else ranges from "lame" to "hot mess".

This was mentioned on the mothership yesterday, but now it's official: the OKC Redhawks (previously '89ers) of AAA baseball are now affiliated with the LA Dodgers. And I just saw it in the megathread – guess I missed that.

Effective today, the franchise will be known as the Oklahoma City Dodgers.

Old Logos:

dkgldmeewvvpahxiiywirfivf.gif

vwa1eed8gl4nfe5qf3a3owd29.gif

New logos:

6116890_G.jpg6116897_G.jpg6116901_G.jpg6116878_G.jpg

T3uLKr3.png

That new OKC monogram is so good. Definitely better than the old one, which was prone to being misread as something inappropriate. Everything else is, "meh."

Thank God there's an actual home jersey.

All things considered, I say this rebrand is decent overall. There are no longer too many teams in the high minors that share the MLB club's name, so there's that. And a very nice choice on that sleeve patch recognizing a local landmark in a smoothly flowing manner. Home and road both look clean, and the BP is actually kinda fun.

It's not without its faults though. The all-blue alts would look much better with just a solid blue cap, instead of the out-of-place 70s-80s white panel. And five caps? When will they be wearing the gray front panel and the "D"?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Just out of curiosity what is your guys' perfect rebrand of a MiLB team in recent memory? Seems to me the majority of people on here think most rebrands are either too gimmicky and whimsical or too boring and forced. Too many Statler's and Waldorf's in the balcony.

I like how the Buffalo Bisons turned out. I think the Nashville Sounds package could be really, really good.

To be truthful, most of these minor-league rebrands have been awful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

According to a story on Ballpark Digest, along with the the OKC Redhawks sale, and re-affiliation, the team will rebrand.http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201408227593/minor-league-baseball/news/guber-group-buying-redhawks-ties-to-dodgers-means

Shame, such a good logo set.
Why do I get this funny feeling that the team will become the Oklahoma City Dodgers?
I hate to say I called, but...I Called it. And not in a good way.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

As for Daytona, ANY NAME that's not "DAYTONA SPEED" should be fine with me, and given Studio Simon's past work, I don't think we're going to see a name like that. (fingers crossed)

You do know that Studio Simon, Brandiose etc do not choose the names right?