Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Can I release a Yard Goat into Brandiose's office?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Tacoma Rainiers, Seattle Mariners triple-A affiliate, have made an (unexpected?) uniform change.

The full rundown here: http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20150306&content_id=111556470&fext=.jsp&sid=t529&vkey=

Solid choice to go with the "R," it's been an iconic mark for quite sometime, despite it being pretty much limited to the "Rainiers" wordmark for most of the past.

The red alternate top is gorgeous, the road jersey is meh, and the BP hat is a head-scratcher. I like the idea there, but hate how big and awkward it looks in the picture of the hat itself in the team store online.

Edit: And what's this with two different number fonts? :therock:

Looking at the mock up here, I feel like there are two different teams going on here. The hat (which is beautiful) doesn't match up with the home jersey. It's like they are the Mariners farm club at home (minus the cap), half of a Mariners affiliate on the road (the navy with teal names and navy with red numbers don't work for me) and then the classic Rainiers in the alternate and BP jersey. Not sure what that BP hat is, but looks more appropriate for a team with a gold rush miner type theme. I wish they had either gone with full Mariners theme for home and road then the red alternate or all red and white (and navy too, if need be). As an M's fan, I would love to see a navy hat with a silver "R" outlined in teal if they are trying to do the Mariners thing.

Also, looking at the team shop, I don't think the hats they have are the 2015 game hats. They have had multiple styles of the "R" hat online for a year or so now (and all their cool throwbacks). Also the way the 2015 BP hat is listed makes me think none of the "R" hats are Poly 5950s but rather wool customs they've had for a bit now.

SEAsig.png

Hartford Yard Goats it is. Was there ever really any doubt?

According to team owner Josh Solomon, the final choice came down to Yard Goats and Whirlybirds. River Hogs finished third, Praying Mantis fourth, and Hedgehogs was fifth.

Consultant Chuck Domino says the logo will be "unveiled in a couple of weeks - a month - down the road."

For the life of me, I can't imagine that it would take an entire month for Brandiose to produce a package of logos that feature a goat with a surly expression wearing a train engineer's blue-and-white-striped cap. After all, the secondary mark depicting said goat following through on a titanic "swinging-from-the-hooves" at-bat likely already exists in their in-house stock-image file.

The Tacoma Rainiers, Seattle Mariners triple-A affiliate, have made an (unexpected?) uniform change.

The full rundown here: http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20150306&content_id=111556470&fext=.jsp&sid=t529&vkey=

Solid choice to go with the "R," it's been an iconic mark for quite sometime, despite it being pretty much limited to the "Rainiers" wordmark for most of the past.

The red alternate top is gorgeous, the road jersey is meh, and the BP hat is a head-scratcher. I like the idea there, but hate how big and awkward it looks in the picture of the hat itself in the team store online.

Edit: And what's this with two different number fonts? :therock:

Looking at the mock up here, I feel like there are two different teams going on here. The hat (which is beautiful) doesn't match up with the home jersey. It's like they are the Mariners farm club at home (minus the cap), half of a Mariners affiliate on the road (the navy with teal names and navy with red numbers don't work for me) and then the classic Rainiers in the alternate and BP jersey. Not sure what that BP hat is, but looks more appropriate for a team with a gold rush miner type theme. I wish they had either gone with full Mariners theme for home and road then the red alternate or all red and white (and navy too, if need be). As an M's fan, I would love to see a navy hat with a silver "R" outlined in teal if they are trying to do the Mariners thing.

Also, looking at the team shop, I don't think the hats they have are the 2015 game hats. They have had multiple styles of the "R" hat online for a year or so now (and all their cool throwbacks). Also the way the 2015 BP hat is listed makes me think none of the "R" hats are Poly 5950s but rather wool customs they've had for a bit now.

I agree... this would look much better in Mariners colors. I don't always like when minor league clubs piggyback off their parent clubs' identity, but Tacoma is still the same metro area and the Rainiers name is an homage to the classic Seattle PCL club. At most, I'd want an alt with the classic colors, but just an alt.

According to team owner Josh Solomon, the final choice came down to Yard Goats and Whirlybirds. River Hogs finished third, Praying Mantis fourth, and Hedgehogs was fifth.

Consultant Chuck Domino says the logo will be "unveiled in a couple of weeks - a month - down the road."

For the life of me, I can't imagine that it would take an entire month for Brandiose to produce a package of logos that feature a goat with a surly expression wearing a train engineer's blue-and-white-striped cap. After all, the secondary mark depicting said goat following through on a titanic "swinging-from-the-hooves" at-bat likely already exists in their in-house stock-image file.

Pretending that Huckleberries never existed. COME ON

I dunno, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Yard Goats.

2mow2dk.jpg2j2sx87.jpgscz0cx.jpgkdsrir.jpg

A press release issued by the New Britain Rock Cats in the wake of the Yard Goats' name unveiling stated:

"A Minor League Baseball player is like that humble Yard Goat. Not a glamorous job but working day in and day out away from the big city lights to assure that the Major League affiliate is kept on track."

Ahhhhhhh... let the painfully-contrived justifications for the ridiculous team name begin!

At least with "Whirlybirds" you could connect the name to United Technologies, parent company of Sikorsky Aircraft (which makes whirlybirds, aka helicopters).

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I can imagine the alternate logo right now:

a goat in a yard swinging a bat.

With a grimace on his face, teeth bared, a hunk of grass hanging out of his mouth.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

To "Brandiose"

JUST SAY YOU SPENT 3 WEEKS WATCHING STUPID LET'S PLAYS OF :censored: ING GOAT SIMULATOR WHILE GETTING STONED AND DECIDED THAT GOATS ARE THE MOST AWESOME ANIMAL EVER AND THAT THEY TOTALLY SHOULD BE THE MASCOT FOR YOUR NEXT RUSH JOB REBRAND!!!!

AT LEAST THAT WOULD ALLOW YOU TO BE HONEST FOR ONCE IN YOUR MISERABLE LIVES!!!

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At least with "Whirlybirds" you could connect the name to United Technologies, parent company of Sikorsky Aircraft (which makes whirlybirds, aka helicopters).

Whirlybirds would have enjoyed a tenuous connection to Hartford, at best.

Despite United Technologies being headquartered in Hartford, Sikorsky's primary base of operations has always been in Fairfield County, Connecticut. Stratford, Bridgeport, Shelton... all have played host to significant aspects of Sikorsky's Connecticut operations and, by extension, the development of the helicopter. All are located in Fairfield County, which is more aligned with New York City than it is with Hartford.

The bottom line is that Brandiose "screwed the pooch" when it came to generating potential names for Hartford's Double-A baseball team. They were so intent on coming up with something fun, crazy, and outside-the-box different... so caught-up in the idea of creating a logo package that would revolve around images of a unique and/or goofy mascot - a goat, whirlybird, river-hog, praying mantis, or hedgehog - that they sacrificed adopting an identity truly relevant to Hartford.

Frankly, Brandiose has become a victim of their own success. They've become SO known as the guys who are ready, willing, and able to "push the envelope", few clients seem to want anything else from them. While it undoubtedly pays the bills, I can't help but wonder if going to the same aesthetic "well" doesn't get creatively frustrating for them?

The bottom line is that Brandiose "screwed the pooch" when it came to generating potential names for Hartford's Double-A baseball team. They were so intent on coming up with something fun, crazy, and outside-the-box different... so caught-up in the idea of creating a logo package that would revolve around images of a unique and/or goofy mascot - a goat, whirlybird, river-hog, praying mantis, or hedgehog - that they sacrificed adopting an identity truly relevant to Hartford.

Frankly, Brandiose has become a victim of their own success. They've become SO known as the guys who are ready, willing, and able to "push the envelope", few clients seem to want anything else from them. While it undoubtedly pays the bills, I can't help but wonder if going to the same aesthetic "well" doesn't get creatively frustrating for them?

True, but im sure all Hartford ownership wouldve had to say to the crazy ideas is NO. They didnt and we're where we are today.

"A Minor League Baseball player is like that humble Yard Goat. Not a glamorous job but working day in and day out away from the big city lights to assure that the Major League affiliate is kept on track."

Am I the only one who can't stand this kind of brand speak? I'd rather be told we chose the name because it sounds good and makes some amount of sense, not this metaphorical nonsense. Same goes for logos.

As for the name, it's contrived and pretty stupid because they tried make it cutesy and whimsical. Although, I do have a soft spot for railroad themed names. I'll wait til the logo package comes out to riot.

Pennants.jpg

Also minor league baseball players will do anything if you promise them $20 for it. Modern railroad workers are actually decently compensated, so they have a sense of dignity.

Today, we are all otaku.