Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Well, that sure is a pickle.

I had to do some digging for this, but I found an image with a better look at the Odgen Raptors' new identity. Apparently, this has been around for a month (posted on September 9):

Ogden_Raptors_new_logo_960_2_fcead45w_95

It's an upgrade for certain (anything really would be). But... I think I don't like it. I was okay with it at first but now I'm less sure. The raptor still seems too cartoonish, I guess? The O feels off for some reason, the tongue feels out of place... I don't know. Plus they missed an opportunity to make it look like an actual raptor with feathers.

Also worth noting is this article: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20151008&content_id=153588884&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb It has all the changes detailed thus far, with a couple others. Notably, a new cap logo for the WV Power (pictured below) and some hat and uniform tweaks - Albuquerque now has a black-and-purple hat to go with their new alt, Lexington's moustached away cap is now the home cap, Peoria has a light-blue alt hat with a red brim, Kannapolis added sleeves to the home jerseys, and Tri-City now has numbers on the front of the home jersey.

westvirgiina_5q43w7bg_d618ikxe.jpg

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Of all the things to rip off, Ogden went with the Anaheim Ducks' font?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hickory Crawdads new logos:

media_wall_logos_nkrn65kv_f5e197jf.jpg

Work of Studio Simon.

Very nice, but that "H" monogram is a mess. The crawdad obscures the letterform, and it doesn't read clearly as a letter.

I've really grown to appreciate Studio Simon's work, but I do agree with this. The set could lose the H logo because it is kind of confusing to make out at first glance, but I'm guessing they needed something as the cap logo. Other than that, the lettering is stylized just right to give it that old school baseball vibe, and I do love how the crawdad is submerged in the weeds to give it a bit of that watery habitat feel.

Any navy and green set already gets points in my book. Then you throw in an anthropomorphic Larry-the-Cucumber-esque pickle in a baseball uniform? I'm sold.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Work of Studio Simon.

Very nice, but that "H" monogram is a mess. The crawdad obscures the letterform, and it doesn't read clearly as a letter.

I've really grown to appreciate Studio Simon's work, but I do agree with this. The set could lose the H logo because it is kind of confusing to make out at first glance, but I'm guessing they needed something as the cap logo. Other than that, the lettering is stylized just right to give it that old school baseball vibe, and I do love how the crawdad is submerged in the weeds to give it a bit of that watery habitat feel.

There are at least 4 Crawdads hats:

Home-Hat_300.jpgRoad-Hat_300.jpgAlt_Hat_300.jpg

Plus one that isn't available yet, but features the claw logo over the outline of the state of NC, on a "tri-color" hat, seen here.

Someone already mentioned the similarity to SAL North rival Lakewood BlueClaws. I was reminded of not only the white hat pictured below, but another BlueClaws alternate that had the crab "peeking" out of the water very similar to Hickory's alternate. I can't for the life of me find a picture of the hat I'm talking about - but I have one at home.

881e2b0c111dd4f11abaab8b729d9ebf.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Work of Studio Simon.

The set could lose the H logo because it is kind of confusing to make out at first glance, but I'm guessing they needed something as the cap logo.

"We wanted to update the look of the Crawdads without abandoning our classic logos." - Mark Seaman, General Manager of the Hickory Crawdads

gwehlqkerrn6aotcxy8z5oqlr.gif

274714651993.gif

As one can see, the designers at Studio Simon simply followed the instructions given to them by the Crawdads ownership/management team: "update... without abandoning".

The only place where the crawdad in the new cap logo obscures the letterform any more than it did in the old cap logo is where the creature's antenna falls in front of the serif on the 'H', as opposed to behind it. That's the only change - and a slight one, at that - made to the relationship between the crawdad and the 'H'. Otherwise, the only changes made to the letterform are the stylization of the serifs and a slight tweak to the angle at which the crossbar meets the righthand stem.

• Like 1

Well, that sure is a pickle.

I had to do some digging for this, but I found an image with a better look at the Odgen Raptors' new identity. Apparently, this has been around for a month (posted on September 9):

Ogden_Raptors_new_logo_960_2_fcead45w_95

It's an upgrade for certain (anything really would be). But... I think I don't like it. I was okay with it at first but now I'm less sure. The raptor still seems too cartoonish, I guess? The O feels off for some reason, the tongue feels out of place... I don't know. Plus they missed an opportunity to make it look like an actual raptor with feathers.

Also worth noting is this article: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20151008&content_id=153588884&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb It has all the changes detailed thus far, with a couple others. Notably, a new cap logo for the WV Power (pictured below) and some hat and uniform tweaks - Albuquerque now has a black-and-purple hat to go with their new alt, Lexington's moustached away cap is now the home cap, Peoria has a light-blue alt hat with a red brim, Kannapolis added sleeves to the home jerseys, and Tri-City now has numbers on the front of the home jersey.

westvirgiina_5q43w7bg_d618ikxe.jpg

The logo needs a squad of Raptors.

• 2 weeks later...

Merch is out for the Portland Pickles, and per the team's Facebook page, there appear to be two game caps:

12096430_637908619685284_595940957014807

The darkly-colored pickle logo, while kitschy and fun, seems to get lost on the navy cap. However, the gray cap is very clean and seems to hearken back to the Portland Beavers. No look at the full unis yet, but overall, not a bad start IMO.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

As one can see, the designers at Studio Simon simply followed the instructions given to them by the Crawdads ownership/management team: "update... without abandoning".

The only place where the crawdad in the new cap logo obscures the letterform any more than it did in the old cap logo is where the creature's antenna falls in front of the serif on the 'H', as opposed to behind it. That's the only change - and a slight one, at that - made to the relationship between the crawdad and the 'H'. Otherwise, the only changes made to the letterform are the stylization of the serifs and a slight tweak to the angle at which the crossbar meets the righthand stem.

Yes, it is faithful to the original. But the original was a bad logo, and their update is a bad logo as well.

Doesn't really matter whose idea it was to have a bad logo, just that they do.

• 2 weeks later...

The Southern League has unveiled new logos. They were designed by Todd Radom.

southern_league_960x540_eqkhf9pl_qyya9zt

southern_league_secondary_7ks7im39_yocsi

That L, though.

4988_new_york__lizards-secondary-2013.pn

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Southern League has unveiled new logos. They were designed by Todd Radom.

southern_league_960x540_eqkhf9pl_qyya9zt

southern_league_secondary_7ks7im39_yocsi

The monogram and monochrome logo looks fantastic. There's just something about the full logo that throws me off, though. There's a lot going on. I think making the "SL" monogram a little bigger and eliminating the sunburst from behind the diamond would help with that. For some reason, I'm not sold on the block font choice, either.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

News from Yard Goats land, as they unveiled their two (yes, two!) mascots today. Say hello to Chompers and Chew Chew:

CSlB8eeWoAAi5Rb.jpg

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The New Britain Bees of the independent minor-pro Atlantic League have unveiled their initial logo. The mark was designed by Skye Dillon - aka, the CCSLC's cward - of Skye Design Studios.

9728_new_britain_bees-primary-2016.png

Additional marks are set to be released over the next few weeks.

Skye Design Studios is no stranger to creating brand identity packages for baseball teams, having previously designed logos for the Edenton Steamers (Coastal Plain League), Holyoke Blue Sox (New England Collegiate League), Springfield Sliders (Prospect League), and Wisconsin Woodchucks (Northwoods League).