Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

uoEWuno.png

Yeah, that's nice.

I think the purple text might be a little too dark against the black, but that's a minor quibble.

Agreed. Maybe the gold/tan could be used for the letters? Or would that be too much gold?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

uoEWuno.png

Yeah, that's nice.

I think the purple text might be a little too dark against the black, but that's a minor quibble.

Agreed. Maybe the gold/tan could be used for the letters? Or would that be too much gold?

I considered it, but in the end, it was too much gold.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And it's official...the Louisville Bats are switching to red, white and blue.

louisville-bats-2016-250.jpglouisville-bats-2016-2-250.jpg

louisville-bats-2016-2-unis.jpg

Red, white and blue are traditional colors...for the REDBIRDS. Black and purple were the Bats' tradition, and they will be back in three years' time, I predict.

As a longtime local fan and Reds fan, I like almost everything about the look, with the biggest plus being the baseball stitching sleeve stripes and biggest minus the gratuitous stars-n-stripes jersey (baseball uses bunting and flags beautifully for patriotic purposes without needing silly alts on the players).

That said, I wish they hadn't changed. They look like they did as the Redbirds, and while those are my favorite Louisville MiLB memories, St. Louis moved them to Memphis, leaving a bad taste in Louisvillians' mouths. The black, purple and gold look (preceded by green, purple and gold) seemed like a departure, so this seems like venturing too close to Redbirds memories for me. I don't get it. I'll probably get a new hat (now my fourth Louisville MiLB identity hat), but I would prefer the previous look for this particular franchise.

I guess I'm the opposite. Like you, I have fond memories of the Redbirds in the 1980s at the old Cardinal Stadium (bad as it was) and these make me nostalgic in a good way. That being said, it would probably have made more sense to go with something closer to Reds colors rather than paying homage to a franchise that left town and that is an affiliate of the Reds main rival.

I like the colors; they're unique and work well together. But that identity is way too gimmicky-looking for a triple-A team. The nautical theme is a good idea, but the execution? Woof.

Side note: I'm not sure why, but among this mess, I really, really like the seahorse. I just don't care for its context as such a prominent part of a triple-A identity. It's the right amount of cartoonish to work in short-season or even single-A, but it feels out of place at triple-A.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Love the seahorse. Fantastic.

The trident is inspired, but by comparison the anchor logo is forced. Trying way too hard to be clever, when the trident shows how it can be done seemingly effortlessly.

The color scheme is meh. Manages to be too bright and too dark all at the same time, which is an accomplishment.

But the real problem is the Photoshop wordmarks. Awkward in a straight line or with that goofy arch.

And the less said about the hideous Soviet jersey the better.

Norfolk Tides unveil new branding:

Logo_Release_News_Article_g21z0om2_qm23f

CVQwwZrWIAAi6_G.png

Here's the milb.com article on the Tides' new look: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20151202&content_id=158642308&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t568&sid=t568

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no. This was designed by someone who focused on making something "unique" rather than making something that looks good. We get a color scheme of Hospital Scrub Green, Road Vehicle Orange and Lifeless Gray, a logo that looks like it deserves to be for a water slide instead of one of the oldest teams in Minor League Baseball

Like most things called "rebrands" these days, this is not one. The brand name "Norfolk Tides" has not changed.

New packaging -- in the sports context, a new uniform -- does not equate to a rebranding. A rebranding is a change of name. If the manufacturers of your brand of toothpaste changed its packaging, you would not consider it to be a new brand. As long as the name stayed "Crest" or "Colgate" or whatever, it would be the same brand.

However, the team should indeed have fully rebranded when it changed from "Tidewater" to "Norfolk". The nickname "Tides" doesn't work when not paired with "Tidewater", just as the nickname "Phillies" wouldn't work if it were not paired with "Philadelphia".

But the uniform's colours are wonderful. The "N" cap logo is great, too. The "T" cap is unnecessary. The seahorse would be OK for a secondary logo, like Mr. Met. But no way does it belong on a cap, certainty not as the full-time home cap logo.

I like that the home cap is green; a green cap with the "N" logo should be the only one. And I like that the front number is a different colour to the wordmark; this makes it stand out.

The fact that the home wordmark is arched but the road mark is straight strikes me as awkward. Both should be arched.

Despite this uniform's flaws, it is saved by its colours.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Likes: Seahorse, especially the "hidden" N in the trident.

Dislikes: almost everything else. Green and orange are not nautical colors, and they don't look good together here. Too much going on with the wordmark, and the outlines are too thick. Like Gothamite said, the anchor logo is a stretch and doesn't work. Seeing the "T" logo alone makes me thing the "T" stands for "Turtles."

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this:

norfolk_tides_logo.gifpMLB2-16821376dt.jpg

Not saying it was perfect, but if they wanted to update, they shouldn't have had to stray too far from that.

• Like 2

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Dislikes: almost everything else. Green and orange are not nautical colors, and they don't look good together here. Too much going on with the wordmark, and the outlines are too thick. Like Gothamite said, the anchor logo is a stretch and doesn't work. Seeing the "T" logo alone makes me thing the "T" stands for "Turtles."

(Pics removed)

Not saying it was perfect, but if they wanted to update, they shouldn't have had to stray too far from that.

aquaman.jpg

WHAT?! :)

(Pics removed)

aquaman.jpg

WHAT?! :)

li-duck_zpsnrnfzrg9.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Portland, Oregon metro area has gained another summer collegiate wood bat club, this time in the West Coast League: the Gresham GreyWolves.

12313694_1484713008503285_14967353170669

I really like the colors, if mainly because they call to mind the color scheme of the perennial NCAA baseball powerhouse that is Vanderbilt. The gray wolf was recently removed from Oregon's endangered species list, which makes the timing of this branding quite excellent, IMO. I'm a little surprised at the alternative spelling ("grey," as opposed to "gray"), but that's my only beef.

Oh, wait...per the team's Twitter account (@WCLGresham), the team will have eight hats. EIGHT! :shocked:

Uff da.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.