Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Seven finalists for new Zephyrs team name unveiled

New Orleans Baby Cakes: A tribute to the Mardi Gras king cakes where small plastic babies are sought after, the Baby Cakes celebrates a unique Louisiana tradition.

New Orleans Crawfish: Pays tribute to those lovable and tasty critters we hold festivals for, and who call New Orleans home.

New Orleans King Cakes: The King Cake tradition bring families and community members together to celebrate the joyous season of Mardi Gras, just like Minor League Baseball draws families together.

New Orleans Night Owls: Both a play on words and an alliteration, Night Owls celebrates the New Orleans nightlife and a night out at the ballpark.

New Orleans Po’boys: A tribute to the culinary capital of the Gulf Cost, this fun name falls in line with other wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.

New Orleans Red Eyes: New Orleans Red Eyes honors Louisiana’s crawfish festivals, and the bright red crawfish New Orleans love.

New Orleans Tailgators: Alligators are synonymous with Louisiana, and tailgating is synonymous with baseball.

This is SOOOOO bad.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png

All seven of these are TERRRRIBBBLLLLE!

Let's go through each of them:

New Orleans Baby Cakes: A tribute to the Mardi Gras king cakes where small plastic babies are sought after, the Baby Cakes celebrates a unique Louisiana tradition. "Baby Cakes?" This is just STUPID and shows that whoever is running this renaming effort has NO CLUE about New Orleans.  The term is "King Cake Babies" not "Baby Cakes". And they are not "sought after"; you don't want to get the baby in your piece of cake; that means you have to buy the next cake at your office or for your classroom.... "Baby Cakes" is a freakin' term of endearment, fer cryin' out loud, not a baseball team name.  Even if it were "King Cake Babies"; yeah let's name the team after a cheap plastic thing that's like a booby prize...

KTDE2BABY-Pink.jpg?width=800&height=800

New Orleans Crawfish: Pays tribute to those lovable and tasty critters we hold festivals for, and who call New Orleans home. Knew this one would be in there. When did it become popular to name a team after something harmless that you EAT as opposed to something intimidating that may eat YOU (Tigers, for example)?

New Orleans King Cakes: The King Cake tradition bring families and community members together to celebrate the joyous season of Mardi Gras, just like Minor League Baseball draws families together. Again with the food? And it's a seasonal thing, to boot-- with that season being NOWHERE near baseball season.

New Orleans Night Owls: Both a play on words and an alliteration, Night Owls celebrates the New Orleans nightlife and a night out at the ballpark. No it's not really a play on words; only a few types of owls are diurnal, and nearly all owls are nocturnal and thus  automatically "night owls".  So you are naming a team after bar-hoppers and people who stay out late.  Fantastic.  Can't wait to see Brandiose or whoever make a drawing of a drunken owl holding a beer bottle, go-cup  or Styrofoam daiquiri cup.

New Orleans Po’boys: A tribute to the culinary capital of the Gulf Cost, this fun name falls in line with other wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.  Again with the food... Oh yeah, let's have a "wacky, fun" team name.  Not to mention there's even a discussion among locals as to whether the sandwich even should be called "Po' Boy" or "Poor Boy".

New Orleans Red Eyes: New Orleans Red Eyes honors Louisiana’s crawfish festivals, and the bright red crawfish New Orleans love. Still, no clue. How in the hell does "Red Eyes" honor crawfish festivals and crawfish, when NO ONE EVER has called crawfish "red eyes"?  THEY DON"T EVEN HAVE RED EYES!! Just beady black ones.

img4.jpg

New Orleans Tailgators: Alligators are synonymous with Louisiana, and tailgating is synonymous with baseball. What a forced contrivance. While gators are common here, tailgating is not "synonymous with baseball", and certainly not around here. It's more like, 'park the car and get inside in the concourse under the shade and ceiling fans, to alleviate the 95 degree heat and humidity-- at sunset'.

• Like 2

It is what it is.

Po'Boys. Pleeeeeaaaaase.

Seriously though, Crawfish is the best option with Night Owls second, but Po'Boys would be up there with the Hartford Yard Goats and the Savannah Bananas in terms of my favorite league team brands. 

• Like 2

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I could stomach "Po-boys" or "Crawfish" since it's a minor league ball club. I'd absolutely hate any of the others. "Night Owls" would be clever if the area were known for owls or a particular species of owls. Instead, it just gives you a terrible acronym by which the team would be called.......the "NO-NOs."

gYH2mW9.png

I like the name Crawfish. It's first with Night Owls second. Just Gators would be really good, but they had to make it something stupid like Tailgators. 

Baby Cakes is probably the last thing I'd name a baseball team, it sounds like the name a 5 year old girl would give a puppy. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

You know what, I'm getting REALLY ticked off about this now.  Especially after today's article in the New Orleans Advocate

The big and small of it is that we are ALL getting played.  The so-called "contest" is and has been a farce. The average Joe's submission didn't mean squat, and this online vote doesn't mean squat (just as it was with the selection of the Biloxi Shuckers):

Officials said they expect to unveil the new nickname after the season ends. Klein said it’s a long process even after the fan vote. “The fan vote is an important factor, but it’s not the only factor,” he said.

These out-of-town know-it-all cutesy-mongers from San Diego are making up stuff themselves.  There is NO WAY anyone with a connection to New Orleans would EVER come up with the name "Baby Cakes" related to king cake babies, or "Red Eyes" related to crawfish, or even "Tailgators".  Listen to their process:

Brandiose owners Jason Klein and Casey White visited New Orleans on May 10-11. They met with Zephyrs officials and toured the New Orleans area speaking with season ticket-holders, corporate and community leaders, then local historians. Klein and White then came up with the nicknames from those submitted.

Baby Cakes was derived from a combination of king cakes, which as we know contain a plastic baby, and area people referring to each other as “baby,” which Klein and White noted during their tour.

“They counted the times people would say, ‘It’s OK, baby,’ or ‘That’s right, baby,’” Rojas said. “So that was from a cultural aspect.”

REALLY? So now we have Brandiose coming in FOR TWO DAYS (and I'm being generous; I wouldn't be surprised if those days included flight time here and back) and interpreting OUR culture for our AAA team nickname.  A one-year job for them; several years of stupidity foisted on us.

The current name has far more LOCAL history, culture and attachment to locals than their three made-up names (Red Eyes, Baby Cakes, Tailgators) and is also a much better name than the remaining four finalists.

It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, hjwii said:

Husband: Honey, I'm off to see the Baby Cakes...
*frying pan to the face*

Wife:  And just who the hell is Baby Cakes?

I'm gonna nominate this for POTD. Simply for the frying pan to the face.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

17 hours ago, B-Rich said:

You know what, I'm getting REALLY ticked off about this now.  Especially after today's article in the New Orleans Advocate

The big and small of it is that we are ALL getting played.  The so-called "contest" is and has been a farce. The average Joe's submission didn't mean squat, and this online vote doesn't mean squat (just as it was with the selection of the Biloxi Shuckers):

Officials said they expect to unveil the new nickname after the season ends. Klein said it’s a long process even after the fan vote. “The fan vote is an important factor, but it’s not the only factor,” he said.

These out-of-town know-it-all cutesy-mongers from San Diego are making up stuff themselves.  There is NO WAY anyone with a connection to New Orleans would EVER come up with the name "Baby Cakes" related to king cake babies, or "Red Eyes" related to crawfish, or even "Tailgators".  Listen to their process:

Brandiose owners Jason Klein and Casey White visited New Orleans on May 10-11. They met with Zephyrs officials and toured the New Orleans area speaking with season ticket-holders, corporate and community leaders, then local historians. Klein and White then came up with the nicknames from those submitted.

Baby Cakes was derived from a combination of king cakes, which as we know contain a plastic baby, and area people referring to each other as “baby,” which Klein and White noted during their tour.

“They counted the times people would say, ‘It’s OK, baby,’ or ‘That’s right, baby,’” Rojas said. “So that was from a cultural aspect.”

REALLY? So now we have Brandiose coming in FOR TWO DAYS (and I'm being generous; I wouldn't be surprised if those days included flight time here and back) and interpreting OUR culture for our AAA team nickname.  A one-year job for them; several years of stupidity foisted on us.

The current name has far more LOCAL history, culture and attachment to locals than their three made-up names (Red Eyes, Baby Cakes, Tailgators) and is also a much better name than the remaining four finalists.

#DelusionsOfBrandeur

• Like 4

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 3 weeks later...