Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

from Wikipedia - Northwoods League franchises - chart shows present and former team names.

a8f7e6bbd397f54dc1b1db5db4535cd5.png

Bismark had five names to choose from: Baldies, Bigfoots, Bullies, Flickertails, Meadowlarks (Larks).

"The Baldies pays homage to Bald Eagles. The Bullies has nothing to do with kids taking your lunch money but rather Theodore Roosevelt’s famous phrase, ‘bully pulpit.’ A flickertail is a squirrel and the Meadowlark is the state bird of North Dakota.  Bigfoot means exactly what you would think. It refers to the furry creature which may or may not be roaming around this planet.  Voting will take place through August 14."

The Baldies pays homage to Bald Eagles. The Bullies has nothing to do with kids taking your lunch money but rather Theodore Roosevelt’s famous phrase, ‘bully pulpit.’ A flickertail is a squirrel and the Meadowlark is the state bird of North Dakota.

Bigfoot means exactly what you would think. It refers to the furry creature which may or may not be roaming around this planet.

Voting will take place through August 14

They narrowed it down to three: Larks (Meadowlarks), Bullies, Flickertails. 

Voting is closed.

"The team will unveil the new name, logo, and a few other exciting announcements at their first community event in Bismarck Municipal Ballpark on Thursday, October 13"

Fond du Lac team naming contest appears to be still open.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Fond du Lac unveiled its five name-the-team finalists today.  And they are the...

Barn Owls

Dock Spiders

Lake Flies

Pipsqueaks

Shantymen

I like Barn Owls, hate Pipsqueaks.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I've heard rumors from those within league offices that Bismarck will be the Larks, making them the third bird nickname in the league. 

As far as Fond du Lac goes: I'm a fan of Lake Flies and that's about it. Shantymen is the only other name that feels localized to Fond du Lac, and it's just not that good of a name. 

Something like this with a bit more minor league pizzazz would work great for an alternative to the classic wordmark tail. 

mayfly-logo300.jpg

On 9/17/2016 at 3:26 PM, Norva said:

At this point, I would be over the moon thrilled if they just called them the "Braves".

The affiliation changed after the team name contest was announced.  They're also not a braves owned team, so best to have an original name.

• 2 weeks later...

"Florida Fire Frogs" for the new Braves FSL team

Firefrogs_960_ribn9lby_qdg5x7px.jpg

MiLB.com

"[Brandiose] had a vision, and I think they came up with logos that say what the community is all about. Whether traditional or non-traditional, it's about family. The families here support each other and want to be supported."

As for why the team opted to use "Florida" as its geographical signifier, as opposed to something more specific, Harrington said that it's because he wants the Fire Frogs to be a "big brand." Kissimmee is located approximately 20 miles south of Orlando, the fourth largest city in Florida and a tourism epicenter.

"This is a big area, and our name signifies that we have the expectation of being big, We want to be the community's team, to bring more people to the table."

Wednesday's announcement is part of a multi-stage rollout. The Fire Frogs plan to unveil uniforms next month, including a sleek, pinstriped alternate logo featuring a black cap emblazoned with a gray, metallic "F".

Firefrogs_200_px_cap_logo_paiy3shw_2vvz7

Ok it could be worse (I mean come on Rodeo Clowns and Mud Kickers were options).  But in a league where all teams are in florida, that Florida moniker is redundant and stupid.  Way to pander the tourists.

Team pres says "this is a big area", it's not that big.  I'm sure the teams in Tampa, Clearwater, Lakeland, Jupiter, Fort Myers etc. won't agree.  "Central Florida" as a moniker would've sufficed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conesbeans said:

This thread started back in 2013, so these new identities are getting buried 80+ pages in. Time to start a new thread for the 2016-2017 offseason identity unveilings!

Or just go to the last page. With the majors, sure, every season makes sense. With MiLB, a single thread works.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions)