Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

5 hours ago, twi said:

Lived here close to 20 years now, never heard of a fire frog. 

Fire ant? Now that would be some intimidating stuff. Fire frog? Sounds like a bargain firecracker. 

True, but this link goes over the reason for the name:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20161026&content_id=207219106&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

"Fire Frogs won the vote," said team president Joe Harrington, who spent the last three seasons as general manager of the Aberdeen IronBirds. "The name came from two fan submissions. Kara Morrison, from St. Cloud, suggested 'Fireflies.' Steven Strickland, from Orlando, submitted 'Coquis.' That's a species of frog native to Puerto Rico. So we merged those two into one made it part of the fan vote."

This Kissimmee brand is pretty terrible.  The generic beveled wordmark is awful, the logo is a C-, the name is one part copied, one part non-native, and the F hat logo is as bland as possible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20161026&content_id=207219106&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

"Fire Frogs won the vote," said team president Joe Harrington, who spent the last three seasons as general manager of the Aberdeen IronBirds. "The name came from two fan submissions. Kara Morrison, from St. Cloud, suggested 'Fireflies.' Steven Strickland, from Orlando, submitted 'Coquis.' That's a species of frog native to Puerto Rico. So we merged those two into one made it part of the fan vote."

Those were a couple reasonable ideas so naturally the team and/or Brandiose combined them into a voltron of stupid and put it in the vote. 

To whatever degree these explanations are ever to be believed of course.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yes, but it's a particularly stupid reason for the name.

"Dragonflies" was a finalist, and that could have been the basis for a solid identity.  So long as they dropped the terrible "Florida" moniker.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, but it's a particularly stupid reason for the name.

"Dragonflies" was a finalist, and that could have been the basis for a solid identity.  So long as they dropped the terrible "Florida" moniker.

I was partial to Toucans, but alas...

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Or just go to the last page. With the majors, sure, every season makes sense. With MiLB, a single thread works.

Of course I realize this. It just seems to make more sense for there to be a new thread created each year for this particular topic/subject.

"[Brandiose] had a vision, and I think they came up with logos that say what the community is all about.

Apparently the community is about self-immolating amphibians. It's a vision, all right; were they designing frogs or licking them?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, but that's one way to stand out in a crowded marketplace. 

I love minor league whimsy, but there's a fine line between that and plain stupid.  And when the owner talks about his decisions like this:

"This is a high-energy, impactful, bold move," Babby said Tuesday

It leads me to believe he's firmly on the side of stupid. 

• Like 2

Couldn't have said it better, Gothamite. I too love a little goofiness and whimsy in the minor leagues, but ditching "Suns" for "Jumbo Shrimp" is Ballmer-crazy.

Back to Lynchburg...I can't help but look at that whole identity - especially the primary and the wordmark - and think "football". It all looks better suited for a football identity than it does a baseball one. Not saying you need a neon hillcat swinging a bat, but these just for some reason don't look like they "fit". 

Cool colors and not bad marks, but as a whole for what it is, I don't think this to be one of Brandiose's better jobs. There's much better directions they could've taken with that wordmark especially. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png