Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

18 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

I think what bothers me the most about the set is that everything is so clearly slapped together. In all three marks you can clearly see how different elements have just been moved around. While I know this is a pretty common practice, its the lack of followthrough that really bothers me. 

Case in point: The "water wings". A more complete water element is used in the "shrimp boil" logo. However, rather than create a more unified water element on the "J-shrimp" they just copied, pasted, rotated, and called it a day. That shows a real lack of professional polish that speaks to how far Brandiose has fallen.

They've gone from producing some really beautiful and thoughtful brands (Lakeland Flying Tigers, Clearwater Threshers, Casper Ghosts, etc.) to just being a minor league baseball logo factory. I know others have already lamented how formulaic they've become, but when you combine creative stagnation with poor craftsmanship...that spells disaster.

The Pensacola Blue Wahoos are my favourite Brandiose design. Simple, classy, and unique. My, how the mighty have fallen.

• Like 4
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'd always been a huge Brandiose fan from the start, having loved the Lakeland Flying Tigers, Frisco Roughriders, and Spokane Indians identities among others. But I do feel they've come to a point where their, I guess, "shtick" is running out. It was all great and fresh at the start, but now that it's been a solid few years and many, many teams later, their products seem more spawned out of desperate brainstorming than brilliant creativity.

The Lakeland Flying Tigers are a polished, sharp, cohesive, and professionally fun identity with purpose; the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are merely an overwhimsical cry for attention.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Kinston's new Carolina League team has a name...say hello to the Down East Wood Ducks!

Logo coming November 30.

*Sees other names*

Brandiose was so wanting to railroad HamHawks and Hogzillas, weren't they.

Here's to wondering if they mail it in like Lynchburg now.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Man, a fella doesn't check the minor league thread for a while and crap like Jacksonville happens.  I don't see what was wrong with Suns.  I mean, I like eating shrimp as much as the next guy, but I'm not big on Jumbo Shrimp as a team name.  I actually kinda like the Fire Frogs' set, but find their use of Florida rather than Kissimmee baffling, given they're in a league where everybody plays in Florida :/

• Like 5

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I'd always been a huge Brandiose fan from the start, having loved the Lakeland Flying Tigers, Frisco Roughriders, and Spokane Indians identities among others. But I do feel they've come to a point where their, I guess, "shtick" is running out. It was all great and fresh at the start, but now that it's been a solid few years and many, many teams later, their products seem more spawned out of desperate brainstorming than brilliant creativity.

The Lakeland Flying Tigers are a polished, sharp, cohesive, and professionally fun identity with purpose; the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are merely an overwhimsical cry for attention.

If I had to come up with a timeline for the descent of Brandiose, I'd have to go with the Reading Fightin' Phils. I feel like it represents a tipping point from producing brands with an array of well integrated logos (see Blue Wahoos, Flying Tigers, or the tragically short-lived Fresno Grizzlies identity) to a "kitchen sink" mentality where no idea is too ridiculous or off-the-cuff to be integrated into a brand. From the Fightin' Phils we move to identities like the Stockton Ports and the WBS Rail Riders where the number unrelated logos mushrooms to absurd proportions. Over the last couple years we've seen the number of logos per brand shrink while the overall quality has diminished. Where a goofy logo may have once filled out a brand package as a supporting design, Brandiose's latest projects have cut straight to the outlandish (see Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Fire Frogs, etc.). 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

If I had to come up with a timeline for the descent of Brandiose, I'd have to go with the Reading Fightin' Phils. I feel like it represents a tipping point from producing brands with an array of well integrated logos (see Blue Wahoos, Flying Tigers, or the tragically short-lived Fresno Grizzlies identity) to a "kitchen sink" mentality where no idea is too ridiculous or off-the-cuff to be integrated into a brand. From the Fightin' Phils we move to identities like the Stockton Ports and the WBS Rail Riders where the number unrelated logos mushrooms to absurd proportions. Over the last couple years we've seen the number of logos per brand shrink while the overall quality has diminished. Where a goofy logo may have once filled out a brand package as a supporting design, Brandiose's latest projects have cut straight to the outlandish (see Shuckers, Jumbo Shrimp, Fire Frogs, etc.). 

I think you're right on the Reading point. That was, actually, the first time a Brandiose project came out where I thought "okay, this is a bit much, guys." It really does seem to be the start of the descent when you look at their timeline.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Kinston's new Carolina League team has a name...say hello to the Down East Wood Ducks!

Logo coming November 30.

Wood Ducks gets a thumbs up - but "Down East" as the location is ridiculous. I've lived 28 of my 29 years in a state ending in "th Carolina" and I think of Maine, not North Carolina, when I hear "Down East."

Kinston has an amazing minor league baseball history. Just use Kinston as the location. Ugh.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Wtf...

Say it real fast, and you end up with "Bronies" (not that I'm saying anything negative about real Bronies).  

Logos are mediocre.  The boxer logo sticks out horribly.  

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Logo sheet:

CwWIX_qWEAAs-PR.jpg

So first the good:

The use of a carousel horse as a primary logo is unique and embraces the local community. The execution of the horse is also solid, although I prefer the unadorned logo to the wordmark and roundel variations. The "B" logo is also sharp and I can see it working very well on a cap. The wordmark by itself is also solid, although I think they could have been a bit more ambitious with their ornamentation (see the scrollwork on the top of the carousel). The fact that they've come up with a unique font for their text also adds something to the brand.

...and now the bad:

The name Rumble Ponies doesn't sit well with me. It feels forced, like the ownership/focus group felt that  ponies was too passive and needed to be "toughened up". I feel like Carousel Ponies would have been a more accurate and classy/timeless name, but even something like Piston Ponies or Merry-Go-Riders would be an improvement in my mind. Granted even Rumble Ponies is a major improvement over Stud Muffins >shudder<. As others have pointed out, the boxer pony feels completely disconnected from the other designs. It comes across as a very obvious play for the ironic/kiddy demographic and doesn't really support the rest of the brand (which feels very sleek and aggressive). Last but not least, I'll also echo everyone's disappointment with the colors. Maybe its my monitor, but the image above almost looks like it could be navy blue and reddish-orange. It seems like it would have been very easy to make the palette more reflective of the Mets...but I get the feeling that may have been an ownership call.