Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Why couldn't Inland Empire update the highway shield for a secondary logo? It'd be a better choice than the broken-down engine that's spraying oil everywhere.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why couldn't Inland Empire update the highway shield for a secondary logo?

Here's what those involved in the rebranding process had to say:

"There is some confusion/trademarking issues with the Route 66 sign, so the challenge was: How do you tell the story of cars on the most famous highway, without going near the sign. Muscle cars became a huge inspiration, hence the classic Blue & Orange Unical 76 color scheme." - Jason Klein, Brandiose

“The idea is to make it (Inland Empire 66ers identity) come alive with the character. We were looking for something that had action to it. It was hard to take the Route 66 shield and apply any action to it.” - Donna Tuttle, Inland Empire 66ers co-owner

“Although our old logo has served a great purpose for our office and organization, we did not feel it supported the enthusiasm and creativity that our organization is known for." - Joe Hudson, Inland Empire 66ers General Manager

Honestly, I think the new package does the Route 66 theme better than the old one. There's plenty of roadside attractions with that style of artwork along what used to be the original Route 66.

I love the color scheme (Dark Gray/Orange/Light Blue is a color scheme I've been wating to see happen) and the 1950s-style cartoon mechanic. That said, the "swinging mascot" trend needs to end (Immediately, Brandiose!), I'd dump the engine logo for a highway shield logo, and I'd at least tweak perhaps the hood-ornament logo. I might also consider changing the font for something actually used on highway shileds (or something very familar, spoilered for size):

Older (1926-1950s):

CA19280663i1.jpg

More Recent (from ~1960s on)

CA19590661i1.jpg

Maybe even use button copy (to help with night-time viewing), which is commonly associated with California (at least for me):

CA19560661i1.jpg

The font does look like the signage of a lot of historic Route 66 diners, though. I'll grant you that a highway sign-based mark/font could've worked with this package, but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary. I'm glad they went a less expected route (no pun intended), but it could've been executed a lot better.

SIDENOTE: I'm honestly surprised they didn't re-brand as the Route 66 Somethingorothers. Normally I'm not a fan of nondescript geographic names, but I kind of like the idea of a team representing the entire mother road.

Why couldn't Inland Empire update the highway shield for a secondary logo?

Here's what those involved in the rebranding process had to say:

"There is some confusion/trademarking issues with the Route 66 sign, so the challenge was: How do you tell the story of cars on the most famous highway, without going near the sign. Muscle cars became a huge inspiration, hence the classic Blue & Orange Unical 76 color scheme." - Jason Klein, Brandiose

“The idea is to make it (Inland Empire 66ers identity) come alive with the character. We were looking for something that had action to it. It was hard to take the Route 66 shield and apply any action to it.” - Donna Tuttle, Inland Empire 66ers co-owner

“Although our old logo has served a great purpose for our office and organization, we did not feel it supported the enthusiasm and creativity that our organization is known for." - Joe Hudson, Inland Empire 66ers General Manager

Fine.

I don't think muscle car engines spray oil everywhere though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm in phone, but just saw a bunch of new Quad-Cities River Bandits logos and caps:

Primary is a tweak to the bridge. BP is addition of arm and bat to existing raccoon head. New caps have retro ball logo splashing in river and another ball in a claw.

Going with the throw everything at the wall philosophy and hope there's something for everyone, apparently.

See them here:

http://twitter.com/sbatt79

And at http://twitter.com/qcriverbandits

Thanks for posting those, Brian. Looking at their team shop, the Bandits seem to be going back to black after the tweaks in recent years gravitated toward red. Probably reversed course due to losing the Cardinals affiliation.

They've had some mismatched red, with road jerseys and the 2013 retro cap's bill being standard red while everything else (piping, other caps' bills, road cap's crown) were closer to maroon. This look might fix that.

Unfortunately, they've also added blue to the mix, which IMO is unnecessary. I think they looked their best in 2011 and the tweaks done since are either forced or not needed (except for that retro cap that I'm not sure they ever wore last year).

The paw and ball is fine, but reminds me of the old Grizzlies alt. The new primary tries to make the bridge more recognizable, but I'm not sure anyone will be able to distinguish it anymore than they could before.

I looked around for a few on this forum but couldn't find a thread on the Durham Bulls new uniforms, so I thought I would post here.

Since this article was posted, the Bulls have revealed a few more pictures and it now looks like there will be an "orange" alternate.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/11/12/durham-bulls-to-get-new-look-in-2014/

Here are some of the latest sneak peaks at their new set:

http://instagram.com/durhambulls

I really hope they go away from the navy blue and stick with their classic royal blue. That blue and "Texas orange" combo is one of my favorite combos in sports.

Thoughts on what we will see in a few days...