Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

So one of my close friends from New Orleans just posted an article about the name change on Facebook with the caption "I can't even say anything about this". And that's not even close to what I've read on the team's Facebook page already!

Social media is NOT being kind to Baby Cakes at all.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So here's my idea for a five-dollars-and-a-dream CCSLC long con: we buy a minor-league baseball team, doesn't have to be AAA, we're not made of money here, Jesus, just the Sally League or Florida League or something. So let's saaaaaay theeeeeeee Dunedin Blue Jays, they haven't been touched yet. So we run them for a year without incident, then we say that we need to rebrand the team, and in comes Brandiose. We solicit some concepts from the good old Whimsy Twins and predictably they're all wack-ass designs with eight different colors and anthropomorphic bat-swinging whatevers and arcane city nicknames that no one's ever heard of on the road uniforms and names so dumbfounding that I can't even come up with examples. They present them to us and then we just say "what are all of you retarded or something this is the dumbest crap anyone's ever seen" and then pull a string that dumps a bucket of rotting fish on them and hopefully the whole experience leaves them so scarred that they take me up on that whole granola bar idea.

• Like 14

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

So one of my close friends from New Orleans just posted an article about the name change on Facebook with the caption "I can't even say anything about this". And that's not even close to what I've read on the team's Facebook page already!

Social media is NOT being kind to Baby Cakes at all.

I like the name, it's a unique name, but I'm not a fan of the logos. Their main logo looks like a baby with a snake's body. Brandiose, IMO, missed the mark. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

I

HATE

EVERYTHING

Not one person I know thinks this is a good change. NO ONE uses the term "Baby Cake." I gotta get my hands on a Zephyrs hat before they're gone from stores here. But this is what happens when an owner from outside of the region decides the team name needs to be more "New Orleans." To be honest, the 3 finalists they picked were all pretty bad and lacked any real "New Orleans" ties. I would have been fine with Crescents, PoBoys, Krewe, Rougarous or even Crawfish over this garbage. I do think the logos are mostly nice. The hat logo isn't bad....but I can't bring myself to buy anything with any of these new logos because it would make me an accessory to this crime.

• Like 4

gYH2mW9.png

As for my comments, I don't mind the original names for minor league teams, but my gosh 2016 has been a year full of hot garbage in MiLB:

- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp

- New Orleans Baby Cakes'

- Florida (ugh) Fire Frogs

- Binghamton Rumble Ponies

Chihuahuas and Shuckers are golden compared to the stuff from 2016.

• Like 1

Brandiose Process:

1. Start with a nickname. What's the lowest hanging fruit, most obvious association people have with that town? Okay, stop looking for inspiration right there, don't ask residents for their thoughts. They don't know anything. Now, take that, wittle it down to a very specific part of the aforementioned local tradition/industry/profession so that the nickname sounds ridiculous and inappropriate for a team of grown men. Bonus points if it's more than one word. We don't care about things like dignity, subtlety, restraint, or sophistication. 

2. Does the nickname have a face? Great we're halfway there. Draw a scowling angry logo swinging a baseball bat and/or ready to throw a punch. Bonus points if the thing isn't inherently angry. What if the nickname doesn't have a face like it's a boat or a tree or a shrimp? Give it a face anyways! Make sure it's angry. Bonus points if there's an object related to the name that can be used in place of a baseball bat like a bone or a tree or a stick or anything long and bat-like. If not, no big deal, just give it a bat. It must be swinging a bat. 

3. Take the new mascot, put it in a bunch of wacky situations for alternate logos that don't add anything that the primary doesn't already convey. 

4. Lettermarks. If part of the primary logo resembles a letter or can be even vaguely shaped to resemble a letter then hell yes use it as a letter. A donut looks like an O. New Orleans has an O. PERFECT. 

5. Wordmarks. Throw everything you got at the wordmarks. The more flourishes the better. We don't care about legibility. 

6. Uniforms: The primary cap should have the lettermark that will be completely illegible from more than 10 feet. They will wear this for home games when they're not wearing the alternate caps. The alternate caps will feature the cartoon alternates. We'll have 6 jerseys. One will have an abbreviated version of the ridiculous team name. One must have a nickname for the city that nobody actually uses. This is essential. 

• Like 14

PvO6ZWJ.png

Where I come from (not New Orleans), "baby cakes" are a hashbrown-type side often served with seafood. So my mind immediately jumps to this delicious hashbrown patty side dish and now I'm starving.

The name is not good. The theme and colors are perfect. The logos are terrifying. Then again, I find New Orleans to be terrifying in general.

• Like 2

What we have here is an outside company asking everyone outside of New Orleans what they think New Orleans is all about.  They, they look for the most stereotypical elements of New Orleans and decided that is what New Orleans is all about.  Not the people; not the food; not the culture; not the history.  But, rather, Mardi Gras.  And then, those outsiders ran with it.  They said they had focus groups with ticket holders and the community. I call shenanigans! There's 10K social media posts out there saying otherwise.  And, now the people from San Diego and Cuba and South Carolina are all saying this is New Orleans.  Take it from someone born and raised in the French Quarter: it ain't....

But, I'll point out some positives:

The NOLA jersey with the king cake as the "O" is inventive.

The New Orleans wordmark on the away jersey is really nice, except they put those damn stereotypical beads on it, thus making it look like crap.

THE BEST PART of the new identity:  The return of the Pelicans moniker.  They should have been called the Pelicans from day one (but, Tom Benson is a vengeful and greedy old man).

• Like 1

Think of it as a glorified cinnamon roll... with lots and lots of sugar on top...

And, now they often fill it with cream cheese or fruit filling.

They're actually quite tasty.  They used to be a real treat when you could only get them around Mardi Gras.  Now, you can get them year round.  An

d in different colors to match the seasons...

• Like 1

Just now, hjwii said:

Think of it as a glorified cinnamon roll... with lots and lots of sugar on top...

And, now they often fill it with cream cheese or fruit filling.

They're actually quite tasty.  They used to be a real treat when you could only get them around Mardi Gras.  Now, you can get them year round.  An

d in different colors to match the seasons...

Also, a lot bigger than a doughnut-- they are, as hjwii says, more like a larger, glorified cinnamon roll in terms of consistency and taste.  You don't pick it up; you cut and eat a piece, like cake. Some-- the more traditional ones -- have a glaze with colored sugar ( #1 below); some others now have way too much thick icing and colored sprinkles (# 2 below, which I don't like).  And rarely are they round anymore; most are oblong:

IMG_7258.JPG

28702-42194-hollings-julia-mar-22-2015-3

I will have a long rant ( and plan of action) about this after I go give blood at lunchtime...

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Cinnamon roll doesn't sound right to me.  The one's I've had always resembled raised donuts with lots of colored sugar on them.

Then, again, I'm not in New Orleans . . . and it's been about 14 years since I've seen/had one.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Also, a lot bigger than a doughnut-- they are, as hjwii says, more like a larger, glorified cinnamon roll in terms of consistency and taste.  You don't pick it up; you cut and eat a piece, like cake. Some-- the more traditional ones -- have a glaze with colored sugar ( #1 below); some others now have way too much thick icing and colored sprinkles (# 2 below, which I don't like).  And rarely are they round anymore; most are oblong:

IMG_7258.JPG

28702-42194-hollings-julia-mar-22-2015-3

I will have a long rant ( and plan of action) about this after I go give blood at lunchtime...

No. 1 is what I remember.  The company I worked for from 1998-2003 used to get 10-15 shipped to us every year at Mardi Gras from outside counsel in New Orleans.  I had never heard of them before then . . . for what that's worth on the "no one outside New Orleans knows what they are" topic.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

16 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Still waiting for the Brooklyn Cyclones to be renamed the Brooklyn Hamiltons based on the play and then we'll finally hit the breaking point from Brandoise

Nah, they'd wind up as the Brooklyn Red Hots with an angry Coney Island hot dog swinging a ketchup bottle as the primary logo.

• Like 1