Mandela Effect in Logos

CS85

The Mandela Effect is a misremembered memory, and a fair amount of them have to do with logos, icons, symbols, and the like.  There are famous misremembered movie lines that never happened, such as "play it again, Sam" and "Luke, I am your father," but this is the design forum, so...

Some examples:

It was Looney TUNES, not Looney Toons.

gh-mandela-effect-template-looney-156391

FROOT Loops, not Fruit Loops.

gh-mandela-effect-template-froot-loops-1

Perhaps the most famous one, the Fruit of the Loom never had a cornucopia:

gh-mandela-effect-template-fotl-15639185

I was curious if you had misremembered logos, be it sports or otherwise, that you could swear were one way or another, but for all intents and purposes seem to be totally undocumented.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Bugs Bunny crew had lasting recognition as "Looney Tunes" and not "Merrie Melodies," which is what their shorts were also called (I'm probably oversimplifying this). Of course, both were a knock-off of the established Disney "Silly Symphonies," which amazingly aren't as remembered as the Warner Brothers production (which is probably the only time a Disney animated property lags behind a competitor).

On the topic, it was until 2015 or so that I realized this said "CHAMPION" and not "CHAMPIONSHIP":

latest?cb=20141130191240&path-prefix=es

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I feel like this is more about people forgetting intentional misspellings than it is the "Mandela Effect." Like, it stands to reason that people would assume it's Loony Toons, since it's a carTOON not a carTUNE.

All of these so far, save for the Fruit of the Loom logo, have just been weird marketing misspellings. It makes sense that people would forget about them being misspelled.

7 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I feel like this is more about people forgetting intentional misspellings than it is the "Mandela Effect." Like, it stands to reason that people would assume it's Loony Toons, since it's a carTOON not a carTUNE.

All of these so far, save for the Fruit of the Loom logo, have just been weird marketing misspellings. It makes sense that people would forget about them being misspelled.

I don't disagree, but I just thought it'd make for a somewhat interesting thread with people summoning up their own experiences. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’m actually curious to know if it’s present in any sports logos

Maybe not a logo, but most people think the Phillies had maroon pinstripes through the 70s and 80s when in fact they were red up until around '87.

Here's some close-ups from a game-worn jersey where you can see a clear color difference between the maroon racing stripe and the red woven zig-zag pinstripe, and the maroon NOB and the pinstripes.  Gods how great those pinstripes are as compared to the pink printed ones they have now.

63075i_mg.jpeg

63075d_mg.jpeg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

When I was younger, I thought Blasty had a flaming mane until years later I found out it's a actually a marking. 

I guess I didn't get much attention at Blasty.

spacer.png

Unless a lot of other people noticed this, this isn’t the Mandela Effect so much as it is just you not noticing something.

14 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Unless a lot of other people noticed this, this isn’t the Mandela Effect so much as it is just you not noticing something.

No one here has extensive polling into the minds of the general public and their false memories on logos, and this is SO specific that it's going to be almost impossible to find a perfect example. I'd expect this thread to be a more of "misconceptions" instead of true examples. 

You'd almost need to reverse engineer it. Like, pick something that is so insignificant and intentionally off and see if enough people remember it being a different way. Not the best example or the best community to test this on but this is the only example I can think of: 

I'd bet that a lot of casual football fans wouldn't have ever realized that the GSH was only on one side and so when you show them this, they "misremember".  Again, not a great example but the only way to see if something is a Mandela Effect is to see if they remember it differently.  

ghs.png?fit=crop&width=900&height=675

• 4 weeks later...

Not really a "logo" but the most famous design example I can think of is that a lot of people think the Monopoly Man has a monocle when he in-fact never has.

I agree with whoever said that the Fruit of the Loom is the best example thus far.  

I'm having trouble coming up with a sports example.  I think the Blasty example belongs more in the the "Misperceptions of Logos" thread, where someone might say that they thought the Blues' logo was a bird's wing rather than a music note or that they saw the Nordiques logo as an Elephant.  It's difficult to come up with a good sports example because we'll all be looking at intricacies that the general public doesn't notice, like "I was thinking the the 1980s Royals powder blue wordmark was outlined in royal blue but it turns out it wasn't." That's just off of most peoples' radar to the point that it could not really apply.

I would bet a lot of "regular" fans don't realize that the Yankees don't wear names on the back of the uniforms, but I don't quite think that's an example of the Mandela effect.  I am sure a lot of people think the "Sabres" are the "Sabers" but again, that's not a great example. A good example would be more like if we all started talking about the Buffaslug and for some reason a bunch of us thought that there was a sword "underlining" it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

(Tried to edit my post; quoted myself...)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I could've SWORN as a kid that the Hartford Whalers had a shoulder patch on their '90s unis, with a whale's tail standing amidst the water inside a circle.

bYhYmxh.png

24 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I could've SWORN as a kid that the Hartford Whalers had a shoulder patch on their '90s unis, with a whale's tail standing amidst the water inside a circle.

I found this. It was one of the concept logosspacer.png

https://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/7/22/how-the-timeless-hartford-whalers-logo-came-to-be

There was a short HBO series of offbeat things captured by filmmaker John Wilson that was entertaining,he did an episode about the Mandela effect.

Here's a clip from youtube:

21 hours ago, Burmy said:

Something similar appeared on Darryl Reaugh's mask.

H2lxyHH.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived