Packers 1994 Prototype

Saw this in a facebook group I'm in. Apparently, this is an actual prototype of the jerseys Ron Wolf wanted to switch to in 1994, but decided not to at the last minute. He was a huge fan of Notre Dame's uniforms and wanted the Packers to look more like the Irish.

Screenshots-2021-05-14-09-52-34.png

This certainly is an interesting alt history scenario for us uni nerds to ponder, because I'm not sure there's any precedent for it. Has any team with as much history changed their established look so dramatically before and actually been successful enough to justify keeping it around? 

1994 was Brett Favre's breakout year, and the Packers finally won the Super Bowl two years later, so you'd have to believe they'd have stuck with this look. Curly Lambeau chose the Packers original colors of navy and gold but occasionally green because he played for Knute Rockne at Notre Dame, so uniforms patterned in some way after the Irish were certainly on brand for the Packers when you took their entire history into account. 

Still, I think there's something to be said for Starr, Favre, and Rodgers wearing virtually the same uniforms. So while I probably could have easily accepted these at the time, I think not pulling the trigger was the right move.

Holy coincidence...change the collar to green and replace the G's with a green and gold version of the Eagles head, and that's basically what I wore as a high school player.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The letter states:

The white numbers on the green home jerseys and the green numbers on the white away jerseys will also have a gold "G" on the front left side

There's clearly no gold G on the left side of the front numbers in that prototype - is it saying that the gold G would be on the numbers (essentially inside them)?  Or on the left side chest of the jersey (like how the Steelers have a logo now) and he just worded it poorly?  Either way, I don't see the G he's referring to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the colors are pretty cool - reminds me of William & Mary football, and somewhat like old Baylor...but ditching the stripes on the helmet, jerseys, and pants would have been a huge mistake. The jersey essentially looks like a cheap Target fan jersey. I wonder if Vegas gold/white stripes could work without bleeding into each other. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have to say, I do like that helmet.  If any team that's not the Raiders or Browns were capable of pulling off such a no frills look, it would have to be the Packers.

It's easy to say they made the right move in hindsight.  But in 1994, the Packers uniforms weren't considered the untouchable classics that they are now.  They had the stink of almost a quarter century of post-Lombardi futility on them.  Certainly the vegas gold would have been embraced by the fans who weren't old enough to remember the Lombardi years.  I was 13-years old at the time and I can promise you I would have copped every piece of vegas gold Packers merch I could have gotten my teenage hands on.

In a vacuum, the colors are nice. But not a great move for that franchise.

The uniform was not executed very well with the lack of stripes. (Needs stripes).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This was just a few years before Vegas gold took over the Rams and Penguins.  Glad they didn't go through with it. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 5/16/2021 at 12:35 AM, Discrim said:

Holy coincidence...change the collar to green and replace the G's with a green and gold version of the Eagles head, and that's basically what I wore as a high school player.

Right before getting your clocks cleaned by my Panthers and our mutual rivals the Rebels 😎

All jokes aside, that means it is all for the best that the Pack never went with it...

bYhYmxh.png

On 5/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, Burmy said:

Right before getting your clocks cleaned by my Panthers and our mutual rivals the Rebels 😎

All jokes aside, that means it is all for the best that the Pack never went with it...

Too true ☹️ Jim Mora's Diddly Poo rant perfectly describes the 2000 Case Eagles in a nutshell.  Funnily enough, the only time I ever dropped into coverage was against Horlick that year (I was a nose guard...and lowkey, that was sort of a weird week, it rained practically all week, only to stop a couple hours before the game).  If I was either a few inches taller or could actually jump, I would've had an INT instead of merely tipping it.

Funny thing, I played more sophomore/JV games at Horlick Field (2) than varsity games (0).  I also played against a Pius team whose coach decided to change the football team's name to the Storm (I was told that only lasted the one season) 🤨

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, NicDB said:

I have to say, I do like that helmet.  If any team that's not the Raiders or Browns were capable of pulling off such a no frills look, it would have to be the Packers.

It's easy to say they made the right move in hindsight.  But in 1994, the Packers uniforms weren't considered the untouchable classics that they are now.  They had the stink of almost a quarter century of post-Lombardi futility on them.  Certainly the vegas gold would have been embraced by the fans who weren't old enough to remember the Lombardi years.  I was 13-years old at the time and I can promise you I would have copped every piece of vegas gold Packers merch I could have gotten my teenage hands on.

If they had went to Super Bowl XXXI in these they would have kept them just like the Broncos did just "cause" we won in those uniforms. So it was a good thing they decided against it.

Archived