The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I'm looking back at this core's playoff appearances and YIKES

2017 - NKOTB scrappy competitive showing against Washington, but lost in 6. 5 of the 6 games went to overtime and the Leafs actually led the series 2 games to 1. Caps won games 5 and 6 in OT that easily could've coin flipped the Leafs way. I remember Leafs fans feeling pretty good about the future of the team at that point. 

2018 - lose in 7 to Boston, but the Bruins felt in control most of that series even as the Leafs came back from down 3-1. Cracks starting to show, patience wearing thin. 

2019 - Leafs had a 2-1 series lead and a 3-2 series lead. They're a good team going punch for punch with the Bruins who then hit them with a 4-2 win in game 6 in Toronto and then a 5-1 win in game 7 in Boston in which the Leafs looked similarly Dead Team Walking as they did last night. 

2020 - Babcock fired midseason. Bubble qualifying round against an unremarkable Blue Jackets team.  I didn't even expect this. Leafs and Jackets split the first two games with shutouts. In Game 3 the Blue Jackets came back from 3-0 to win 4-3 in overtime. In Game 4 the Leafs found themselves down 3-0 with 4 minutes left before completing their own ridiculous comeback to win in OT. In the deciding game 5 I fully expected the Leafs to ride that momentum and put the pesky Blue Jackets away and finally eliminate someone in a series. They got shutout by Joonas Korpisalo and lost 3-0. 

2021 - Montreal Meltdown. 

5 straight series losses in which they've been the underdog, favorite, had series leads, had to comeback, basically every situation. And it doesn't matter. Normally I hate "BLOW IT UP" guy, but I would be willing to listen to them in this case. 

This does have that Raptors 2014-2018 feeling.

Each of those post-season losses had this uneasy feeling at the end. Yes, significant changes need to be made like trading for a better goalie even if it's moving someone like Nylander, or even get another coach. We're NOT talking about a team that is so embarrassing, you are willing to throw waffles on the ice.

3 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

This does have that Raptors 2014-2018 feeling.

Each of those post-season losses had this uneasy feeling at the end. Yes, significant changes need to be made like trading for a better goalie even if it's moving someone like Nylander, or even get another coach. We're NOT talking about a team that is so embarrassing, you are willing to throw waffles on the ice.

Nylander is the one guy I wouldn't move, aside from Matthews, anyways.  He showed a pulse and played really well in this series.  I wonder if anybody would be interested in taking Mitch Marner off of their hands because that guy was brutal and is the obvious candidate to be gone.

6 minutes ago, See Red said:

Nylander is the one guy I wouldn't move, aside from Matthews, anyways.  He showed a pulse and played really well in this series.  I wonder if anybody would be interested in taking Mitch Marner off of their hands because that guy was brutal and is the obvious candidate to be gone.

Nylander was probably the second-star of the series. I was going to mention Marner as a piece that can be moved, but I think they do need to move a significant part of the core much like the Raptors did with DeRozan. 

I saw someone on r/Leafs after the game say the Leafs should leave Marner unprotected in the expansion draft and just let Seattle take him off their hands. 

It was clearly a comment made in frustration after Marner’s no-show in the playoffs, but it made me wonder (along with the people who were replying to that comment) - if Marner theoretically was unprotected, would Seattle take him? On the one hand, saddling yourself with an $11m AAV contract from Day 1 doesn’t seem like the ideal option. But on the other, who knows how many other players of Marner’s quality will be available to be selected. 

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If you are a fan of the Yankees, Celtics, or Packers, other fans really don't want to hear how you 'relate',

Well I got an empathetic side too, Yankee fans are not cold hearted robots though some of them can be straight up jerks. If it makes you feel better I am a Jets, Knicks and Rangers fan and they are hardly the Yankees of the NFL, NBA and NHL even though many many Yankee fans root for either of those three.

6 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I saw someone on r/Leafs after the game say the Leafs should leave Marner unprotected in the expansion draft and just let Seattle take him off their hands. 

It was clearly a comment made in frustration after Marner’s no-show in the playoffs, but it made me wonder (along with the people who were replying to that comment) - if Marner theoretically was unprotected, would Seattle take him? On the one hand, saddling yourself with an $11m AAV contract from Day 1 doesn’t seem like the ideal option. But on the other, who knows how many other players of Marner’s quality will be available to be selected. 

While Marner's underwhelming playoff track record is definitely a problem - though I'll remind you that he's still only 24 - the problem with Marner isn't necessarily him being on an $11M AAV (though that's still higher than he should be). It's having him on $11M while Matthews makes $11.6M, Tavares makes $11M, and Nylander makes $6.9M. That's legitimately half your salary cap tied up entirely on four forwards. It's very unbalanced (and, despite all of that, it's not the depth that is to blame for the Leafs losing this series, at all). 

So if Marner was unprotected, he's gone in a milli-second. And that gets to something I talked about before with Las Vegas and one big advantage that they have (and Seattle will have) that the prior '90s expansion franchises didn't have. That the salary cap exists. Either resulting in teams leaving high-end players w/o NMC's exposed in an attempt to get out of those contracts, or making side-deals and giving up useful draft picks or maybe useful role players so that they won't lose a valuable player in the expansion draft that they were unable to protect otherwise. It really gave Las Vegas and will give Seattle an awful lot to bend teams over the barrel with. Factor in that the protection rules are also more restricted than they previously were, and while it's a whole lot of revisionist history to act like the Golden Knights were destined to be a powerhouse from Day 1, it's also easy enough to see just how this ended up happening with the power of hindsight. If Seattle plays their cards right, I expect them to be a competitive team from the beginning as well.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:54 PM, habsfan1 said:

The 18th-ranked team in the league, which technically shouldn't have made the playoffs but for the divisional format, knocks off the division leader. And the curse continues for Toronto. I'm glad I stopped being a Leafs fan a long time ago. 

1 minute ago, Magnus said:

The 18th-ranked team in the league, which technically shouldn't have made the playoffs but for the divisional format, knocks off the division leader. And the curse continues for Toronto. I'm glad I stopped being a Leafs fan a long time ago. 

I didn't expect my team to have any sort of playoff run whatsoever. It should have been a walk in the park for the Leafs against what was a broken down Habs team. But it seems like their previous collapse was still lingering in their minds. I except major changes to this current Leafs roster, next year.

Just now, habsfan1 said:

I didn't expect my team to have any sort of playoff run whatsoever. It should have been a walk in the park for the Leafs against what was a broken down Habs team. But it seems like their previous collapse was still lingering in their minds. I except major changes to this current Leafs roster, next year.

They need Masai Ujiri as their GM.

The Draft Lottery has concluded, and the top 15 are as follows;

• 1. Buffalo
  • 2. Seattle
  • 3. Anaheim
  • 4. New Jersey
  • 5. Columbus
  • 6. Detroit
  • 7. San Jose
  • 8. Los Angeles
  • 9. Vancouver
  • 10. Ottawa
  • 11. Chicago
  • 12. Calgary
  • 13. Philadelphia
  • 14. Dallas
  • 15. NY Rangers

Another #1 pick will just make it more obvious when the Sabres fail. I wish they could just do it in obscurity, like that team whose name I can't think of right now.

6 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Alright, so I think we can all agree that Mark Schiefele is now the villain of the North division for this series after the :censored: he just pulled on Jake Evans.

Yes

Awful hit. He needs to be suspended.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

• 2. Seattle

Congratulations to the Seattle Kraken on making their 1st ever trip to the Stanley Cup Final in their 1st year! How amazing is that. 🙄

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Congratulations to the Seattle Kraken on making their 1st ever trip to the Stanley Cup Final in their 1st year! How amazing is that. 🙄

isn't it tradition for expansion teams to get the 1st overall pick, though

31 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

isn't it tradition for expansion teams to get the 1st overall pick, though

Expansion teams have been picking in the top 5 at least since 1967, yeah.