The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

1 minute ago, Dilbert said:

So if Colorado advances to  play Montreal they need to get permission to break out the reverse retro Nordiques jersey. that would be awesome.

Unfortunately, as cool as it might sound, that'd end up setting a bad precedent to have other teams randomly switch their jerseys in the postseason. And I think the last thing any of us want is for the NHL to become the NBA when it comes to how jerseys are worn lmao

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Two-line pass was 10x worse, although I admit I'm always puzzled by the hate for delay of game. Maybe a one-minute power play would work, but shouldn't there be some kind of penalty for stopping the game? Without the rule, any time a team on defense got tired, the puck would be up in the suites.

Delay of game for flipping the puck over the glass is fine as it is.  You  need rules to keep the play going as much you can. 

The solution: maybe control the puck. Make a pass.

It is  no different than an unintentional high-stick to the face that results in a penalty. Got a problem? Control your stick. 

I saw, I came, I left.

Was that ever a problem though? Teams intentionally flipping it out of play and into the stands? No, it wasn’t. You’re 100 times more likely to just ice the puck if your team is tired, not flip it into the stands.

There is a clear difference too between when it’s done intentionally and not intentionally. Considering a referee shouldn't make a decision based on what they think the intention was, the rule should be thrown out.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

This isn't about intention,  it is about control. How about not flipping the puck if you don't need to? Or at least flip it towards the center of the ice? Or Find other ways to get rid of the puck without icing it if you have to. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Was that ever a problem though? Teams intentionally flipping it out of play and into the stands? No, it wasn’t. You’re 100 times more likely to just ice the puck if your team is tired, not flip it into the stands.

It's been a rule since 1927-28, so you'd have to tell me what it was like before then, gramps.

I am fine with the delay of game penalty the way it currently is. When it is called against my team I am way more annoyed at the player committing the penalty than I am at the officials for calling it. 

I think the rule is more about the spirit of the game and at least making an effort to keep the puck in play. Even on an icing attempt the other team has a chance of intercepting the puck and keeping it in the offensive zone, or maybe it takes an odd bounce to avoid icing. If you just chuck the puck over the glass it prevents any of those possibilities and is a cheap way to get a quick breather. It should be penalized. 

T1oYViW.png

9 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

'93 Sabres and '19 Islanders

2019 was awesome. The Penguins got swept by the Islanders who got swept by the Hurricanes who got swept by the Bruins. We were so close to having an "Ultimate Loser" in 2019 and I was grumpy when the Blues lost game one of the Finals. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Unfortunately, as cool as it might sound, that'd end up setting a bad precedent to have other teams randomly switch their jerseys in the postseason. And I think the last thing any of us want is for the NHL to become the NBA when it comes to how jerseys are worn lmao

Also, if Colorado is going to be on a bigger national stage in the semi-finals and finals it might not be a smart move to confuse potential newer fans to the game with a different main logo for a potential championship team. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I sent a text to my buddies about 5 minutes in last night that this was a Bruins dominate, Rask does not kind of game. You can always tell right away just by the way he plays the puck if he's on or not. He wasn't close. I can't fully blame him for the loss as the defense just let guys walk right in, BUT in the playoffs, in a game where your team is forcing the style of play, you NEED to make a few big stops.

I'm not going to complain about the officiating being one sided or not, I just want consistency. Call it tight or call it loose, period.

It's gotta sting even more now for Leafs fans knowing they could've strolled to the Conference finals if they'd found one more goal in either games 5 or 6. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, Sport said:

It's gotta sting even more now for Leafs fans knowing they could've strolled to the Conference finals if they'd found one more goal in either games 5 or 6. 

Awfully bold of you to assume they wouldn't have Leaf-ed their way to a loss. I was pulling for them, but they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They could have just as easily done it against the Jets.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Losing JT so early on :censored:ed them up and they never quite recovered. They almost definitely beat the Habs if he isn't injured, and it's very likely they beat the Jets, too.

The only part of the delay of game rule that should be adjusted is when the puck deflects off a players stick and over the glass when that player is in his defensive zone. Those are freak occurrences, not active attempts to even risk putting the puck out of play. I know one of Marner's several delay of game penalties was one like that. The ones where a player tries to clear the puck off and gets too far underneath it and sails it out of play, by all means, keep those ones on the books.

spacer.png

Very very surprised at the result of the Habs-Jets series. Not that the Habs couldn’t have pulled it off, but a sweep was not at all what I expected. Hopefully they can make their next series vs. the Knights or Avs fun. 

Speaking of the Knights-Avs series, the Avalanche are playing a lot like they did in their first round series against the Wild back in 2017. They dominated the first couple games and then just completely sat back and didn’t do anything. The Wild won game 3 in OT, despite outshooting the Avs like 30-10 or something like that. The Avs outshot a huge number of opponents in a row this season, and now all of a sudden they’re barely generating scoring chances it seems like. If the Avs don’t step it up here and play like the President Trophy winners they are, I have a feeling Vegas could finish this off in 6...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, speedy said:

I sent a text to my buddies about 5 minutes in last night that this was a Bruins dominate, Rask does not kind of game. You can always tell right away just by the way he plays the puck if he's on or not. He wasn't close. I can't fully blame him for the loss as the defense just let guys walk right in, BUT in the playoffs, in a game where your team is forcing the style of play, you NEED to make a few big stops.

I'm not going to complain about the officiating being one sided or not, I just want consistency. Call it tight or call it loose, period.

I mean, he's very obviously been injured since at least game 2 when Lauzon ran into him and it's clearly been getting worse each game. I had a real bad feeling  when they announced that Rask wasn't involved with the team skate. And you're not wrong, he as moving pretty terribly, even when he was coming out of the crease, he looked like he couldn't skate properly. The fact they even acknowledged that the injury was part of the reason why they pulled him is a good sign that it's actually pretty significant.

Which honestly, is why they should go with Swayman. The kid's real good, and most importantly isn't suffering from a groin injury. Outside of that first goal, which honestly was more defense than anything, he looked solid. Might as well roll the dice.

If it fails, maybe they can spend the offseason actually investing in depth for once instead of giving $6 million to a third line forward who completely disappears and wondering why the first two lines are the only groups doing anything.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Very very surprised at the result of the Habs-Jets series. Not that the Habs couldn’t have pulled it off, but a sweep was not at all what I expected. Hopefully they can make their next series vs. the Knights or Avs fun.

Cole Caufield was called up late in the season because the Habs struggled to win a single game. Originally, the team sent him back to the minors, but after going back to losing all the time, they called him back up again. The results payed off because talents like him made a difference.

Carey Price is playing like the 2014 Olympics version of himself. He makes a lot of money, but it feels like he also wants to win a Cup and bring Stanley home to his family. He seems extra motivated in these playoffs, compared to the last 5 years. The winner of the Vegas/Colorado series will have serious competition.

Also, momentum shifts played a huge part in the Jets downfall. Emotions got the best of them after being stunned by Montreal in game 1. The NHL PR would have received a :censored: storm sized backlash, double the amount compared to the Rangers, if Scheifele went unpunished like Tom Wilson. They knew better not to pull that BS on Montreal.

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It's been a rule since 1927-28, so you'd have to tell me what it was like before then, gramps.

Color me surprised; I know it's happened before the delay of game penalty they assign today but never remember anybody getting penalized for it prior. Learn something new everyday.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived