The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Color me surprised; I know it's happened before the delay of game penalty they assign today but never remember anybody getting penalized for it prior. Learn something new everyday.

It used to be at the official's discretion whether or not it was deliberate.  I believe if a goalie did it, it was automatic, though.

It was obviously intended to stop players from deliberately putting the puck over the glass, but nobody is doing it deliberately.  Since doing it is clearly not worth a two minute penalty, every time it happens is accidental where a player is trying to clear it down using the glass.  The punishment doesn't fit.  Enforce it like icing.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, See Red said:

The punishment doesn't fit.  Enforce it like icing.

This is how college does it. And having been to literally hundreds of games, I can confirm that there isn't a rash of players firing pucks into the skulls of the horrified masses in the stands.

It's bizarre to me that the NHL nailed it with the icing rule and no line changes, but completely overshot with the delay of game rule. Then again, the NHL Rules and Player Safety Departments are both complete and utter jokes, so I shouldn't be so surprised.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Did...did the CN Tower operators forget which city they're in? This would be like the Empire State building being lit up, well, in darker shades of blue and red and white to honor the Red Sox.

Maybe they lost a bet.

Have I got news for you. (Patriots but nevertheless they have the same colors as the Red Sox).

20 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Losing JT so early on :censored:ed them up and they never quite recovered. They almost definitely beat the Habs if he isn't injured, and it's very likely they beat the Jets, too.

I've also thought about this scenario...

Tavares is still out in  the Winnipeg series.

Mark Scheifele take out Marner or Matthews instead with the Game 1 hit. 

Leafs are even more depleted and lose the series or they possibly face Vegas or Colorado down Tavares and Marner (or Matthews). 

The hockey gods and Dubas' poor cap management really screwed them this year. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Hurricanes still have a bit to go before they are legitimate Stanley Cup threats. I'm not sure where the team can be realistically upgraded when you consider their cap situation. It will be an interesting off-season with Dougie set to hit the open market. Nedeljkovic and Svechnikov will both be RFA's, and at the very least Svech should be in position for a long-term deal sooner rather than later. Necas will be a RFA after next season too, and he is a guy you also would prefer to keep and build around. 

Some tough decisions to be made, but it sure as hell beats missing the playoffs for the better part of a decade. 

T1oYViW.png

2 hours ago, selby56 said:

Hurricanes still have a bit to go before they are legitimate Stanley Cup threats. I'm not sure where the team can be realistically upgraded when you consider their cap situation. It will be an interesting off-season with Dougie set to hit the open market. Nedeljkovic and Svechnikov will both be RFA's, and at the very least Svech should be in position for a long-term deal sooner rather than later. Necas will be a RFA after next season too, and he is a guy you also would prefer to keep and build around. 

Some tough decisions to be made, but it sure as hell beats missing the playoffs for the better part of a decade. 

I hope Carolina keeps it up.  They're a young team that's fun to watch.  I thought they were going to be the toughest matchup Tampa had between this and last postseason.  I think that it only went five games says more about how well the Lightning — especially Vasi — are playing right now than anything.

Hoping for a Boston win tonight to push it seven and then indifferent beyond that. 

IUe6Hvh.png

34 minutes ago, See Red said:

Hoping for a Boston win tonight to push it seven and then indifferent beyond that. 

Unless you could guarantee the Islanders win Game 7, I respectfully disagree. I'd be just as happy with that series ending tonight. I consider the Bruins a tougher matchup and, while I like the Lightning's chances against either, I'd just as soon not tempt fate. 

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Unless you could guarantee the Islanders win Game 7, I respectfully disagree. I'd be just as happy with that series ending tonight. I consider the Bruins a tougher matchup and, while I like the Lightning's chances against either, I'd just as soon not tempt fate. 

Ehh, if Rask is hurt, I think Boston's the preferred matchup given the state of their defense, especially since TB seems to have their number anyway.  I'd rather avoid the Barry Trotz team, anyway.  I try not to care either way, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Have you seen the Bruins' defense lmao

The Islanders would be competitive. I hold no doubts that the Bolts would absolutely SLAUGHTER the Bruins' porous defense.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Have you seen the Bruins' defense lmao

The Islanders would be competitive. I hold no doubts that the Bolts would absolutely SLAUGHTER the Bruins' porous defense.

And Don Sweeney’s gonna help the defense in the off-season by giving a few more million dollars to like Connor Clifton or something.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

That was easily one of the worst periods of hockey I’ve ever seen a team play - and I’ve watched a LOT of Hartford Whalers games.

Their hockey IQ is non-existent. The Islanders are in their face, playing a great game, and the Bruins have done nothing to respond to that. They’re playing with absolutely no heart. They had a great first ten minutes, but now they’re over thinking everything and I believe this game could easily be 6-1, 7-1 right now.

One more period to see what happens, but the teams needs an overhaul, starting at the top, and I hope it happens this summer.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived