The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

10 hours ago, Unocal said:

The biggest player names left in these playoffs are Fleury and Price

NBCSN cannot be thrilled

Not being a homer here, but Hedman (1 time winner, and finalist for the Norris for 5 straight years) and Vasilevskiy (1 time winner, finalist for the Vezina for 4 straight years).  Kucherov also has a Hart Trophy in the past few years....

By stating "only" Price and Fleury youre feeding right into the NBC bias.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Not being a homer here, but Hedman (1 time winner, and finalist for the Norris for 5 straight years) and Vasilevskiy (1 time winner, finalist for the Vezina for 4 straight years).  Kucherov also has a Hart Trophy in the past few years....

The defending champions SHOULD be featured more prominently. If not , then one has to wonder what kind people are heading the NHL or NBC marketing teams. 

I saw, I came, I left.

38 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The defending champions SHOULD be featured more prominently. If not , then one has to wonder what kind people are heading the NHL or NBC marketing teams. 

Defending champs are featured prominently, when their names are Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago

Thankfully this is the last year....hoping Turner and ESPN do a better job.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is a fantastic historical overview about why LOLSENS has been around since day one of the expansion club.

Reject Romanity, return to stripey.

I made points about the many flaws their new/old uniforms have, when they were unveiled. One of the responses I got was that the team's call was based on what Senators fans wanted. Apparently, they don't like any of the 3 updated Centurions nor the =O= logo with the olde tyme stripes. I feel like they went worst choice possible. But the new unis are marketed to fans of the team.

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

And that's not even mentioning the future HOF (and one of the best scorers of his generation) Stamkos.  I'd add Point too, but maybe he doesn't resonate much outside of Tampa despite how good he is.  Regarding Kuch, it's also worth pointing out he's one of the bigger storylines in the league this postseason.

IUe6Hvh.png

I feel like out of the remaining teams, the Isles are kind of the underappreciated workhorses - not the most marketable team, but one that plays damn good hockey. the Cesaro or Jerry Lynn of the NHL, if you will.

53Ocz8U.png

41 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I feel like out of the remaining teams, the Isles are kind of the underappreciated workhorses - not the most marketable team, but one that plays damn good hockey. the Cesaro or Jerry Lynn of the NHL, if you will.

They remind me a bit of the 2003 Wild- Barzal is Gaborik, Trotz is Lemaire, Varly/Sorokin are Roloson/Fernandez, lot of interchangeable role players and grinders

On 6/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, SFGiants58 said:

This is a fantastic historical overview about why LOLSENS has been around since day one of the expansion club.

The Sens really had a really great run in the 2000s too. Kind of a bold strategy to win back fans by making your uniforms three times as bland as other teams, but I’m not a bigbrain expert at owning a hockey team like Eugene Melnyk so my peon opinion means nothing.

The Lightning are:

21-21 at home in the playoffs since 2014

2-8 in Game 1 home openers

0-4 in their last four Game 1 home openers

During that same time frame, they're 4-1 when they open on the road, and they won both road openers so far this postseason.

How they are completely unable to win playoff home games and that this is a problem that they have never figured out (not once since 2014 have they had a better playoff home win percentage compared to their road win percentage) is pretty infuriating. Even their record in "road" games in the bubble last year was better than in the "home" games.

Seriously. Just wear white for all games. Away and home. Whatever it takes. 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Seriously. Just wear white for all games. Away and home. Whatever it takes. 

Last year, they lost one playoff game wearing white- and that was up 2-0 with two forwards out

On 6/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Ottawa apologizes.

But, to get back on track; my Cup prediction is Montreal and Tampa Bay.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

12 minutes ago, Unocal said:

It could basically render skill and speed meaningless

The last 15ish years of Stanley Cup champions have been dominated by superstar teams, regardless of what happens this year. You need Anne Hathaway marrying a rando every once in a while to give the rest of the league some hope.

51 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The last 15ish years of Stanley Cup champions have been dominated by superstar teams, regardless of what happens this year. You need Anne Hathaway marrying a rando every once in a while to give the rest of the league some hope.

Watching the Canes and Blues raise Lord Stanley gave me hope for this current Habs roster. Price is playing like he wants a Cup, something that his 100 million dollar decade-long contract can't buy.

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

It could basically render skill and speed meaningless

The Oilers found out that their one man team couldn't get a win against the Jets. The Habs are more well rounded.

Not to go all homer defense mechanism either, but the Islanders have been getting quite a bit of offense this playoff run, too. They're first in the playoffs in terms of goals scored (yes they padded it a bit with empty netters but still). Yes, the forecheck and neutral zone play are still there, but they've shaken off the defense only stereotype these playoffs

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived