The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

The North Stars lost the Cup. This Habs roster is making me think of the 2019 St. Louis Blues.

I'm thinking of the Kings' first Cup. They were the 8 seed, then went 12-2 in the first three rounds of the playoffs.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Unocal said:

Is this gonna be good or bad for NBCSN ratings? Unlike 2011 VAN, there's no Boston big market equivalent.

OTT/ANA 2007 got the lowest of low ratings

If the Isles win tonight, you’d have at least a decent portion of the largest market in the country. 

I'm quite happy for Montreal*. The league is just more fun when Canadian teams do well and are cup contenders, which hasn't been the case for a long time. It would also be kind of funny if the team to end the Canadian cup drought is the one with the most cups and the most recent cup. It won't be some salve for hockey fans in the rest of the country the way it would be if, like, Winnipeg won it all.

I don't think they'll beat either the Islanders or Lightning, but they've proven me wrong 3 times and they just did me a huge favor by knocking out the Knights so I'm gonna stop assuming they'll lose. Let's go Habs!

*Corey Perry excluded

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/23/2021 at 11:20 PM, dont care said:

Hurricanes oilers, or flames lightning 

I mean Tampa was the top seed in the East at the time, and Carolina was only 1 point behind the top seed the year they won.

17 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The North Stars lost the Cup. This Habs roster is making me think of the 2019 St. Louis Blues.

---

Also, I don't know if there's ever been a situation where an "interim" coach, who's role is to fill in a "failed season" temporarely, ever make the playoffs and win himself a Stanley Cup? This is a reminder that Dominic Ducharme is not technically the permanent head coach and look where he's at. If a Cup Final appearence doesn't give you the job, I don't know what will.

You should have re-read your post. Craig Berube was an interim coach when the Blues won.

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm thinking of the Kings' first Cup. They were the 8 seed, then went 12-2 in the first three rounds of the playoffs.

I hate when people compare any Cinderella story in the NHL to the '12 Kings. Yes, they were an 8 seed, but going into the season they were a legit Cup contender. They underachieved & finally reached their potential at the right time.

But of course, after they won every GM in the league oversimplified the situation & suddenly thought all you had to do to win was sneak into the playoffs.

This Habs team feels more like the Devils team that the Kings beat in the Finals that year.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

You should have re-read your post. Craig Berube was an interim coach when the Blues won.

Oops. My error.

The Blues always came off as the team that got beat eventually by the better more dominant teams. That was the mentality I had and a lot of people had in every one of their series. I had no idea what their coaching situation was, until it was pointed out now. Sometimes I know when a coach gets fired. This one I completely missed.

at this point it's just one big sick :censored:ing joke, isn't it.

45 minutes ago, See Red said:

I believe that makes four straight series that Vasilevskiy has closed out with a shutout.  Freakin' legend!

MOD EDIT: Knock it off with the name calling and personal attacks.

53Ocz8U.png

15 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Will Olczyk complain about the Lightning fans?

I was thinking about this. Bolts fans seem to be a relatively sober bunch. Latitude notwithstanding, they're not really a Meme Team like the Hurricanes, Stars, or Predators. They've successfully avoided the "they have 15,000 fans and they're all redditors" syndrome that has spread through hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived