The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would greatly prefer to never play the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs ever again after these past 6 seasons, but them's the breaks. The Islanders being the most successful team I root for sure as hell is a far cry from 10 or 25 years ago, that's for sure. Just hope they finally get that crack at the Cup in the next few years and this one hurts cause it felt a bit ripe for the taking given their style vis-a-vis Montreal's

The Lightning are the defending Cup champs for a reason, and although I would've liked a much better effort Game 7 those first 55 minutes, it is what it is. Time to jump onto the Habs bandwagon for the hilarious inexplicable run they're going on. Canadiens-Islanders would've made all of Hockey Twitter, Hockey Analytics, both ends of the hockey podcast spectrum between Ryan Lambert and Spittin Chiclets, probably all of NBC, ESPN, and Sportsnet (for English language purposes, TVA would be immune), and the city of Toronto melt down, but the Habs somehow winning it all would kinda suffice on the chaos end.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I could really do without Tampa Bay winning another title in something. Go Habs.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 minutes ago, Unocal said:

If you told me TB/NYI game 7 would be 1-0 and the lone goal would be a shortie, I'd have bet a gallon of ice cream the Isles would win

But THAT'S why they play the games

That’s a big bet to make man, if I were in your scenario I don’t think I could risk that much. Especially if we’re talking a gallon of cookies and cream. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Montreal vs Tampa Bay it is.

I hope Price continues his winning ways and Cole Caufield remain dominant on offense.

Let's just keep it civil since we'll be sharing the Rays soon 🙂

Price vs Vasi should be fun.  Is Montreal planning on increasing attendance at all?

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

Let's just keep it civil since we'll be sharing the Rays soon 🙂

Price vs Vasi should be fun.  Is Montreal planning on increasing attendance at all?

Np. I have TBL fans on my social media too. May the best team win, but I just hope Chris Lee doesn't officiate.

It's being discussed to add more fans at the Bell Centre. Nothing confirmed yet, but 5000 is the rumor.

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Np. I have TBL fans on my social media too. May the best team win, but I just hope Chris Lee doesn't officiate.

It's being discussed to add more fans at the Bell Centre. Nothing confirmed yet, but 5000 is the rumor.

I hope Chris Lee isn’t even a backup ref for the finals.

35 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Canadiens-Islanders would've made all of Hockey Twitter, Hockey Analytics, both ends of the hockey podcast spectrum between Ryan Lambert and Spittin Chiclets

The Habs winning should still give Lambert a conniption fit. This never would have happened in the heckin' NBAarino nooooooooo!!!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Canadiens-Islanders would've made all of Hockey Twitter, Hockey Analytics, both ends of the hockey podcast spectrum between Ryan Lambert and Spittin Chiclets, probably all of NBC, ESPN, and Sportsnet (for English language purposes, TVA would be immune), and the city of Toronto melt down

Part of me wondered if a Habs/Islanders series might have possibly signaled another dead puck era on the horizon.

I don't think that would happen, but the sloppy short-shift offenses the Golden Knights perfected need to be corrected a bit. Those great possession offenses that Chicago, Detroit, and Vancouver had would look downright plodding now, but I'd rather watch actual plays develop instead of just heckin' shotarinos

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It would be unreal to see the Habs lift the Stanley Cup but the way things have gone for Canadian markets since 1993, I'm not expecting that to happen at all...  They will likely raise everyone's hopes only to dash them at the very last possible moment like the Flames in 04, the Oilers in 06 and the Canucks in 11.

2 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I just want one. I just want one :censored:ing championship in ANY sport.

Keep the faith.  It’s worth the wait. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 hours ago, Unocal said:

Part of me wondered if a Habs/Islanders series might have possibly signaled another dead puck era on the horizon.

Eh, I'd say no. The list of things I put down having that meltdown are the ones parroting the dead puck line, but really

1. The Islanders actually attack a lot more than the first two years of the Trotz era. The Lightning's defense flew under the radar in being the difference maker in this series more than the Islanders being too defensive minded, first 50 minutes of Game 7 aside

2. The Canadiens are more a combo of their youth scoring breaking out come playoff time again, their dinosaurs in Perry and Staal showing up, and Carey Price finding the fountain of youth all of a sudden

The league didn't shift after the Blues and Bruins made it to the Cup Final with ramping up the physicality, and even your defensive minded teams still have a lot of speed and skill on the other end to avoid it being like mid-90s trapfests

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

12 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

This is what struck me watching the highlights. I know it's outside, but it's kinda crazy to have thousands of people on top of each other outside when the end zones inside are still covered in ads. Can they not just require vaccinations to get in?

Archived