The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

As a Bruins fans, I should probably be rooting against the Canadiens, but I find myself....not doing that. Hockey is probably the one sport where I can watch any team win the championship and enjoy it. Not sure what causes that; perhaps also having the childhood dream of lifting the Stanley Cup so seeing anybody else do it is a pleasing feeling? I don't know.

Hopefully it's a good series. I didn't watch much of the Lightning/Stars last season, but hoping to catch some SCF games this season. I hope fans of both teams on the board enjoy it!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

This is what struck me watching the highlights. I know it's outside, but it's kinda crazy to have thousands of people on top of each other outside when the end zones inside are still covered in ads. Can they not just require vaccinations to get in?

Fortunately here in Quebec, the vaccine rollout has been going pretty well, thus far, with spaces freeing up to get both doses sooner. It is a good point you bring up. It could have been worse. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they do. They'll definitely bring in as many fans as they could. Everything's currently in evaluation mode.

10 hours ago, Unocal said:

Cole Caufield- are we seeing a future Canadiens superstar or another postseason one hit wonder ala Fernando Pisani?

Star.

I don't know what the direct relationship has been between Hobey Baker winner and pro career, but he's been talked about as a future star for some time now.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Star.

I don't know what the direct relationship has been between Hobey Baker winner and pro career, but he's been talked about as a future star for some time now.

Historically, it was pretty irrelevant (Paul Kariya being a big exception). I remember when the Sabres had Hobey Baker winner Brian Holzinger come up in the mid-90s. As a little kid who assumed the relationship between college hockey and the NHL was similar to college football and the NFL, I was a little disappointed. As college hockey has improved, though, it now seems to be maybe a 50% chance of being an impact player.

The Blackhawks signed Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc in 2013. I think he played two games as a late-season callup and was never heard from again. Thanks anyway. He seems to have been the last dud; everyone from Johnny Gaudreau on seems to have become at least a bona fide NHLer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Carey Price didn't sign a 100 million dollar contract to lose the Stanley Cup.

If he gets his ring, all the 10.5 comments on social media will be put to rest for the remainder of his hockey career.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:43 PM, Brass said:

As a Bruins fans, I should probably be rooting against the Canadiens, but I find myself....not doing that. Hockey is probably the one sport where I can watch any team win the championship and enjoy it. Not sure what causes that; perhaps also having the childhood dream of lifting the Stanley Cup so seeing anybody else do it is a pleasing feeling? I don't know.

Hopefully it's a good series. I didn't watch much of the Lightning/Stars last season, but hoping to catch some SCF games this season. I hope fans of both teams on the board enjoy it!

I'm with you on this and it's confusing my little brain. I was rooting for them against Toronto, because, well.. Toronto. Still, I shouldn't want them to win - but I do. Maybe it's because they're playing Tampa, or maybe it's because the fans of Montreal (and Canada as a whole) deserve a Cup. Either way, go Habs... ughhhhhhhh.

1 hour ago, speedy said:

I'm with you on this and it's confusing my little brain. I was rooting for them against Toronto, because, well.. Toronto. Still, I shouldn't want them to win - but I do. Maybe it's because they're playing Tampa, or maybe it's because the fans of Montreal (and Canada as a whole) deserve a Cup. Either way, go Habs... ughhhhhhhh.

The only hockey championships that should be celebrated across the country are Olympic/World Junior/World Cup gold medals. This isn't the NBA or MLB where there is literally 1 team representing the entire country. Most Habs games aren't even available on cable for people living west of Quebec.

The only Stanley Cup I'll celebrate will be when/if Ottawa ever wins, and I assume most hardcore fans in this country feel the same way about their team.

The way I see it, cheering for the last remaining Canadian team because the media pushes it as an obligation has become my litmus test for determining casual fans.

3 hours ago, speedy said:

And Cole Caufield. Try as I might, it's going to be very hard to hate on a small winger who balls out like he does. 

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Not putting too much into a single game because Montreal will adjust, as they did against VGK, but... that game was a clinic.

Refs need to get a hold on this series or it's going to get ugly with how chippy it got in the third.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 6/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Most Habs games aren't even available on cable for people living west of Quebec.

I thought Belleville was the line and only for English coverage, with the French coverage airing nationwide.

Would the league or CRTC protest if TVA/RDS used the SAP to run optional English play-by-play over a French telecast?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I made a comment on my social media stating that I'm concerned they won't be able to win against the TBL because they got a lot of luck in past series, and if TB shows up, it could be lights out for Montreal. And that's exactly what happened. Bergevin's multi-year "plan" is not coming into fruition in this awful Stanley Cup final. I turned the game off, before it ended.

Congratulations Tampa Bay Lightning fans.

I thought Montreal played well tonight. They dominated possession, dominated shots, got odd-man breaks. But also felt the scoring opportunities felt pretty even. And, of course, Montreal got sloppy and gave away two goals.

Series still isn't over but Tampa doesn't tend to play that poorly two games in a row.

Vasi was left off of three GM Vezina ballots. 😐

IUe6Hvh.png

So, 1st period ends 2-1; I step outside to smoke a small cigar. Come back in and it's 4-1.

DAYUM!

Been a Bolts fan since I saw them in their 1st  season (1992) at the Fairgrounds and bought a jersey, so I'm good with  it, but... wow!

It is what it is.

Archived