The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

no, abandoning robin lehner after one season where he played fantastically was a genius move. clearly this is the Reliable Goaltending we need to become a dominant defense-oriented team like the Y2K-era devils. genuinely blown away that sorokin isn't the starter.

1 hour ago, See Red said:

That John Tavares injury was brutal.   That was a scary scene when they were tending to him on the ice and he fell back.  Hoping he's okay!

Right up there with RJ Umberger as a bloodless "worst injury you ever saw".

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So have there been any updates on rules and regulations when playing whichever team comes out of the Northern Division?  

I heard that Bettman was demanding an answer from Canadian officials by June 1.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Caps power play be this bad. And what has Laviolette done to adjust? Absolutely freaking nothing. Olcyzk is practically begging the Caps to switch something up and they haven’t done it. 

Bruins have been vastly superior in this game and they should easily be up by 2-4 goals. 

1 hour ago, Crabcake said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Caps power play be this bad. And what has Laviolette done to adjust? Absolutely freaking nothing. Olcyzk is practically begging the Caps to switch something up and they haven’t done it. 

Bruins have been vastly superior in this game and they should easily be up by 2-4 goals. 

Yeah, Ovechkin standing still for 2 minutes ripping shots into Bruins defenders on repeat doesn’t seem like the play.  

I will say though, if the Bruins hope to make it far in these playoffs, they have to start finishing some of these golden opportunities, but they especially have to be more disciplined. Taking 7 penalties in a game is ridiculous, even if it feels like the refs have been a bit quick on the whistles for the playoffs. They got lucky tonight that Laviolette decided that adjusting is for nerds and the Caps should instead set up both PP units the exact same way, and try for the exact same play on both, after that play (Ovi one-timer) had been blocked by Bruins players six times. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup in 2018 was the worst thing that could've possibly happened to this team.

Their hunger is gone, the competitive fire has long since burnt itself out. They've gotten fat and complacent.  Maybe it was for the best they let Trotz go as this once mighty ship sunk into the Potomac. They can't take away the ring, the excitement the fan base had over that magical summer. Ovechkin's legacy was sealed as probably the greatest goal scorer of his generation. But when push came to shove; this team decided to roll over and die. Getting tactically spanked by the Islanders in Toronto last year. This charade with Boston, and letting their emotions get the best of them. Getting humiliated by the Hurricanes and their old friend, Game 7 trying to defend the Cup.

Now, I'd still rather have Laviolette over the bumbling Todd Reirden any day of the week, but Washington needs a man behind the bench who can somehow find a way to stoke the flames and get the competitive fire burning back inside each and every player. The window is pretty much shut on this team, but it's foolish to say it's completely shut because momentum can change on a dime, this team could suddenly pull another deep playoff run out of their rear end, but with how the team is playing...

This window is going to slam shut. And it's going to end not with a bang, but a whimper.

42 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Turned on the game, and the Lightning are giving the Cats a bath. Bob gets yanked less then halfway into the game.

YOU'RE OFF THE CASE, BOBROVSKY!

This TB-FLA series isn't fun anymore.  The officiating has been terrible and the Panthers are dirty as :censored: (not that the Lightning are saints by any stretch).

This was called a goalie interference on Kucherov.

Pittsburgh's goalie is getting destroyed by the Islanders. Pens down by 2, Isles get 2 more quick goals.

I could see this series go the distance, if the Penguins find a way to get back into this.

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Pittsburgh's goalie is getting destroyed by the Islanders. Pens down by 2, Isles get 2 more quick goals.

I could see this series go the distance, if the Penguins find a way to get back into this.

Had some bad luck. First goal happened because Letang pushed the Islanders player into him (then Letang cried to the ref that goalie was interfered with) and the second was a deflection. I missed the other two. 

7 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup in 2018 was the worst thing that could've possibly happened to this team.

Never. Winning the ultimate prize in their sport is absolutely never the worst thing that can happen to a team.