NHL Defunct Series All Alt+RR added

johne9109

New York Americans

My main goal for the Americans was to make them stand apart from the Rangers. To do that I used red as the main team color and used different hues from the Rangers. `I also wanted to make sure i kept the theming of the American flag while also keeping the colors correct; the Americans had this weird habit of swapping the patterns and colors of the flag for some reason. Next was to create a logo and what's more American than Captain America? So i used the classic Cap shield as the basis of the logo.

Home

9w6aDjP.png

Away

IaXUzoI.png

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 10/16 Americans
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philadelphia Quakers

The Quakers were another team that had to be visually distinctive from another neighboring NHL team. This time the Flyers. So I knew I didn't want to use black and orange. The original Quakers used this golden yellow, but that was close to what I ended up going for with the Hamilton Tigers. So I thought about using a copper color and while playing around with that I found a nice color that I liked, but once I started putting it into the jersey it looked like flesh tone. That led me to finding this deep gold color. Next I found an alternate color and found my answer in the flag of Philly (which is featured on the right shoulder along with the Pennsylvania flag on the left). The flag is blue and yellow; so I thought the gold can represent the yellow while I use a dark blue as it's complimentary color. Next was the logo and no matter how hard you try you can't really make a good logo out of a quaker that's not gonna get laughed at. This prompted me to go with the Liberty Bell as the logo for 2 reasons. One Philly was founded by quakers and the bell is synonymous with Philly so that tracks and then people have wanted a Flyers alternate for tears that uses the Liberty Bell, but to me that doesn't fit their branding all that well. I know it's not a pretty jersey, but I actually really like this one.

Home

LHgw57N.png

Away

dm4Hmqk.png

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 11/16 Quakers

Pittsburgh Pirates

When I first sat down to do this I thought about changing the colors to make them stand out from the Penguins, but then I thought about it and I could totally see Pittsburgh having another team be black and yellow to keep in with the theming with their sports teams. So while the Pens usually have predominately black jerseys; I decided to have the Pirates have predominantly yellow jerseys. They also pretty good final logo so I kept that as well. the only other big change was the addition of skull and crossbones and the Pirates P on the shoulders.

Home

eYnmUqS.png

Away

Tvd3hdS.png 

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 12/16 Pirates
On 5/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, BayBaseballFan said:

Just stumbled onto this series, but great stuff. The California Golden Seals and Colorado Rockies sets are by far my favorites. Love the mountain peaks on the sleeves. Definitely going to be following this ongoing.

Thanks!

ZUH86xc.png

Quebec Bulldogs

So when the Bulldogs were a team they didn't even have a logo. So I decided to take a bulldog and add a spiked circle to make a collar around the dog. I thought about giving it a stick in it's mouth but to me that has been over done now with it already being done by the Panthers, the Sharks, and numerous minor league teams. I also thought about crossing bones behind the logo, but that came across as a minor team look as well so I left it as is. The other change was I made the colors a light blue with a dark blue accent. Otherwise pretty straightforward.

Home

XDmXsna.png

Away

6iBSIOe.png

ZUH86xc.png

Quebec Nordiques

For the Nordiques I had to be really careful because I know a lot of people are fond of this team. So I wanted to do something that spoke to the original and the unused concept that Quebec was going to use. I ended up with a slightly new color palette and some new striping. I thought about putting the wolf logo on the shoulders, but it clashed too much. Overall I think this is a nice modern take on a classic

Home

grGN718.png

Away

dR50oMc.png

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 14/16 Bulldogs + Nordiques

St. Louis Eagles

So the Eagles get a DRASTIC overhaul. For one the Eagle colors were red white and blue and if I included another team with red and blue in this series the NHL would start to look like the MLB. So I went another route and took color inspiration from another St. Louis team; the Cardinals. The logo is brand new as well as some unique stiping on the sleeves to give the look of wings. I like how this came out. Let me know what you think

Home

PlHu5L8.png

Away

DZ06e9q.png

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 15/16 Eagles

Atlanta Flames/Thrashers

So when I started designing this series Atlanta was the first team to come up. The big problem with trying to redesign the Flames is that there currently is a team with that name and identity, but at the same time I didn't want to leave the flames out. So what I decided to do (and this is why I left them for last) is take both Atlanta teams and merge them into one new identity. This gives us the newly minted Atlanta Phoenix; the flames are represented in the fire and the Thrashers are represented with the bird theming continuing. The look of the jersey is an amalgamation of the two teams as well. We have the unique sleeve with ATLANTA going down from the thrashers and the overall presentation coming from them. While the colors come from the Flames sans the orange which is a meeting ground between the two teams. The shoulder also gets a secondary logo in the form of a flaming P. I feel it's distinct enough in it's design to set it apart from what Calgary uses, but is still an homage to the Flames. I'd love to hear what you have to say about this one. Logo credit goes to David Corrente

Home

q723UHB.png

Away

0YOaFcY.png

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Flames/Thrashers
On 5/31/2021 at 5:05 PM, johne9109 said:

Atlanta Flames/Thrashers

So when I started designing this series Atlanta was the first team to come up. The big problem with trying to redesign the Flames is that there currently is a team with that name and identity, but at the same time I didn't want to leave the flames out. So what I decided to do (and this is why I left them for last) is take both Atlanta teams and merge them into one new identity. This gives us the newly minted Atlanta Phoenix; the flames are represented in the fire and the Thrashers are represented with the bird theming continuing. The look of the jersey is an amalgamation of the two teams as well. We have the unique sleeve with ATLANTA going down from the thrashers and the overall presentation coming from them. While the colors come from the Flames sans the orange which is a meeting ground between the two teams. The shoulder also gets a secondary logo in the form of a flaming P. I feel it's distinct enough in it's design to set it apart from what Calgary uses, but is still an homage to the Flames. I'd love to hear what you have to say about this one

Home

q723UHB.png

Away

0YOaFcY.png

I really like this one! Only thing I would change is the name (to avoid confusion with the city in Arizona). How about Firebirds?

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

I really like this one! Only thing I would change is the name (to avoid confusion with the city in Arizona). How about Firebirds?

I thought about and went back and forth quite a bit on which would be better. I ultimately settled on Phoenix for a couple reasons. 1. it has that unique not ending with a s like the Lightning. 2. The Coyotes aren't Phoenix anymore and I think a team having that as their name would help people (like me) finally stop calling them Phoenix Coyotes. 3. With Atlanta on the sleeve I think in actuality it would stand out and easily separate them nullifying any confusion. If enough people feel adamant about it I'll try a concept with swapping the names

ZUH86xc.png

On 6/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, johne9109 said:

So I really enjoyed this series so I decided to keep it going. I'm going to add an alternate and a reverse retro for each team. First one coming soon!

Cool! 😃 Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Atlanta Phoenix 

So for the Alternate I took the design from the other Atlanta Thrashers jersey design; just with the new color scheme. I also put an alternate logo. I know it's blurry and fuzzy, but I really liked how the phoenix was kind of in the shape of a P. The Reverse Retro is an homage to the Atlanta Flames, but this time with a P to keep from stepping on Calgary's toes. The colors are swapped around to make the once predominant red a now minor color

Alternate

WUGl5Vz.png

Reverse Retro

Gf1US9w.png

ZUH86xc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back to this. Sorry it's been so long, but I was busy with the end of the school year as a teacher. Now we're back with the California Golden Seals

Alternate

9J5e2Sr.png

For the alternate I came up with a completely original design and new logo (Credit to Matthew McElroy). I decided on a yellow jersey to connect to the Golden part of the team name. That then gave me the idea to make striping to replicate the ocean. I think this came out pretty good and isn't too over the top like the striping on the Islanders fisherman jersey.

Reverse Retro

jlG1Is7.png

The reverse retro is pretty much a straight throwback to the teams original jerseys except with the teal and yellow color scheme. Another solid look in my opinion. Seeing the teal on this made me wonder what a Sharks reverse retro would look like with elements of the Golden Seals ala what Colorado and Minnesota did

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Golden Seals Alt+RR added

Please don't take someone else's logo and try to pass it off as your own. If you're going to use it at least give credit or ask for permission from the original designer.  That logo on the Seals alt jersey is from a concept made in 2014 by Dylan Alexander and Mathew Mcelroy. Looking through this thread, I'm guessing that quite a few of these logos have just been swiped off the internet (Barons, Tigers, Eagles). Not a great habit to get into if you really want to better yourself as a designer. I understand that logo design can be tough to do if you are just starting out but using someone else's work as your own definitely isn't going to help your cause.

Seattle SeaLions: NHL Concept on BehanceBarons | Sports logo design, American logo, Logo concept

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

1 hour ago, johne9109 said:

Finally getting back to this. Sorry it's been so long, but I was busy with the end of the school year as a teacher. Now we're back with the California Golden Seals

Alternate

9J5e2Sr.png

For the alternate I came up with a completely original design and new logo. I decided on a yellow jersey to connect to the Golden part of the team name. That then gave me the idea to make striping to replicate the ocean. I think this came out pretty good and isn't too over the top like the striping on the Islanders fisherman jersey.

Reverse Retro

jlG1Is7.png

The reverse retro is pretty much a straight throwback to the teams original jerseys except with the teal and yellow color scheme. Another solid look in my opinion. Seeing the teal on this made me wonder what a Sharks reverse retro would look like with elements of the Golden Seals ala what Colorado and Minnesota did

I was really hoping the Sharks would have worked in this style or color scheme to their Reverse Retros. This purported leak last year got me excited, but alas it was a fake.

I like the Reverse Retro design a lot. Probably the best version of that throwback on a modern template. The alternate is pretty solid as well. I really like the crest. I get what you were trying to do with simulated ocean waves, but the varying spacing still feels a little off. Great overall.

Archived