NHL Defunct Series All Alt+RR added

johne9109

3 minutes ago, BayBaseballFan said:

I was really hoping the Sharks would have worked in this style or color scheme to their Reverse Retros. This purported leak last year got me excited, but alas it was a fake.

I like the Reverse Retro design a lot. Probably the best version of that throwback on a modern template. The alternate is pretty solid as well. I really like the crest. I get what you were trying to do with simulated ocean waves, but the varying spacing still feels a little off. Great overall.

DUDE! that would've been dope. When I'm done with this series I'm gonna do some RR concepts for what could be next season; I'm definitely gonna do a Sharks/Golden Seals concept.

I tried to make the striping on the alt look like waves coming in.

ZUH86xc.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, johne9109 said:

DUDE! that would've been dope. When I'm done with this series I'm gonna do some RR concepts for what could be next season; I'm definitely gonna do a Sharks/Golden Seals concept.

I tried to make the striping on the alt look like waves coming in.

Makes sense. It might be too gimmicky, but I wonder how those dark stripes would look with some "movement." Either peaking sharply up and down or some gently curved peaks.

Excited to see what those potential RR's will look like.

43 minutes ago, 72freebie said:

Please don't take someone else's logo and try to pass it off as your own. If you're going to use it at least give credit or ask for permission from the original designer.  That logo on the Seals alt jersey is from a concept made in 2014 by Dylan Alexander and Mathew Mcelroy. Looking through this thread, I'm guessing that quite a few of these logos have just been swiped off the internet (Barons, Tigers, Eagles). Not a great habit to get into if you really want to better yourself as a designer. I understand that logo design can be tough to do if you are just starting out but using someone else's work as your own definitely isn't going to help your cause.

Seattle SeaLions: NHL Concept on BehanceBarons | Sports logo design, American logo, Logo concept

I went back and credited OC's of logo's I used. Thanks for letting me know to credit even with permission. I wasn't trying to pass it off as mine. I'll make sure to credit in the future as well

ZUH86xc.png

Cleveland Barons Alternate and Reverse Retro

Alternate

QoVjsHb.png

The alternate for the Barons gets the grey/silver for the main color and the secondary logo of the B in the state of Cleveland while the main logo I used is move to the shoulders. The alternate also gets more traditional striping as the home and away had some eccentric design. 

Reverse Retro

SLAbw82.png

The reverse retro is a palette swap of the teams one and only jersey. Gotta say I think it looks good in black

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Barons Alt+RR added

Colorado Rockies Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

TdeIb08.png

The alternate pulls it's look from the Colorado state flag. I wanted to do something with just the C and decided to put a white stripe behind it as it looks on the flag. From there I added some accent stripes of blue and yellow. The darker color set also is pulled from the flag

Reverse Retro

92Qy8bS.png

The reverse retro just takes blue and red and swaps them. This is reminiscent of the Blues RR but I think it works a LOT better for the Rockies here

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Rockies Alt+RR added

Hamilton Tigers Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

zCnHw5y.png

So I wanted to go with something more drastic and in your face and this is what came out of it. We get the tiger head on it's own with some striping behind it mimicking the whiskers of the tiger. The sleeves get claw marks on the sleeves as well as the tiger pattern in the numbers.

Reverse Retro

RsndShT.png

A swap of their final jersey but also with the twist of the new colors that I had given the team. Very traditional, but nothing to go crazy over.

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Tigers Alt+RR added

Hartford Whalers Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

tIDD4hu.png

The alternate here is my way of taking the Whalers redesign in the '90's and fitting it in with the Home and Away I already made. Instead of the dark blue, green and silver the Whalers keep their beautiful blue and green. The big change is Pucky is now the predominant logo (how that never happened I have no idea)

Reverse Retro

EZF35SQ.png

For the reverse retro we see the Whalers final WHA look brought back and their current blue is brought into the mix. I thought about trying to swap the green with another color but I didn't want two blue alternates and the yellow did not look good so the only reverse is the blue

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Whalers Alt+RR added
2 hours ago, Coiler said:

A part of me thinks the 90s Whalers should have something "EXTREME", like a harpoon-wielding man similar to the infamous Islanders fisherman.

Great work, though.

I love Pucky and wanted him to be a main logo. That would be interesting to see happen though. I think the whalers made the smart move taking the harpoon imagery out of their design when they moved to the NHL, but it would still be an interesting concept

ZUH86xc.png

9 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

For the shoulder patch on the Whalers' alt, try making the whale tail white, so the negative "H" can have a little more pop. 

How's this?

yRizRRw.png

I probably still prefer it the other way; the tail looks off in white  

ZUH86xc.png

Kansas City Scouts Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

LfIxL9d.png

For the Alternate I knew I wanted the KC as the main logo so from there I decided to have the design of the jersey mimic the overall shape and colors of the KC logo

Reverse Retro

7x5eLKi.png

This is a reverse on two fronts. First the colors of red and blue are swapped, but the jersey also employs the current darker color set. I also included the original logo for the fact the it is an homage jersey and it wouldn't be worn all the time. 

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Scouts Alt+RR added
8 hours ago, johne9109 said:

How's this?

yRizRRw.png

I probably still prefer it the other way; the tail looks off in white  

I know the old green jerseys had a white "W" and Tail. I like the white tail better, but it's a small detail. I think it's a good jersey that features Pucky. 

5 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

I know the old green jerseys had a white "W" and Tail. I like the white tail better, but it's a small detail. I think it's a good jersey that features Pucky. 

The old green jersey the whole logo was white. something about it being white and green seems off to me, but you're right small detail

ZUH86xc.png

Minnesota North Stars Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

WJ5kKwl.png

For the alternate I waned to go a route kind of similar to what Dallas did this past year, but not as drastic. My thought process was the North Star shining bright in the night sky so I went with a black jersey with bright colors. I didn't want to go neon lie Dallas did so instead and went bright, but kind of dull if that makes sense. Either way I really like it

Reverse Retro

4f3mpO5.png

Nothing too crazy for the reverse retro. I just always thought it was weird that Minnesota's striping were predominantly yellow so I picked one of my favorite jerseys of theirs and made yellow the predominant secondary color.

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 North Stars Alt+RR added

Montreal Maroons

Alternate

xSJGido.png

For the Maroons alternate I took cues from the Flag of Montreal. All the symbols are taken directly from the flag which include a pine tree in the center of the jersey to represent the indigenous people, right sleeve a fleur de lys and a thistle for the French and Scottish respectively, and on the left sleeve a rose and shamrock for the English and Irish respectively.  I did modify the colors a bit to match the Maroons coloring.

Reverse Retro

j5C6OwV.png

For the reverse retro I took my favorite of the original Marrons jerseys (which was their final jersey) and swapped the colors. Interestingly enough; the original Maroons never had a light jersey.

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Maroons Alt+RR added

Montreal Wanderers

Alternate

gKVZcMv.png

So when the NHL formed in 1917 the Wanderers were one of 4 original teams so I decided to go a sort of centennial route with it so the white becomes a flecked silver (ala Vegas) and the black becomes gold. Simple, but to the point

Reverse Retro

JIfUD45.png

In opposite fashion of the Maroons; the Wanderers only had 1 jersey due to their very short life span as a team and it was a white jersey so I simply swapped it into a dark jersey.

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Wanderers Alt+RR added

New York Americans Alternate + Reverse Retro

Alternate

iItzp6M.png

When I was trying to come up with ideas for the Americans I saw that they were also called the Brooklyn Americans at the end of their lifespan. That gave me the idea to do a design that matched the NBA Brooklyn Nets. So the coloring comes from the current Nets design and then I took the asymmetrical striping and stars from the old Nets look. The front of the jersey is adapted from early Americans designs

Reverse Retro

IVOxFZN.png

The reverse retro comes from a later design of the Americans where they finally instituted a logo instead of just a wordmark. The original jersey was white so I swapped around blue and white and gave the colors a retro feel on top of that

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Americans Alt+RR added
  • 2 weeks later...

I completely forgot that I had finished these and didn't post them so here's Philadelphia Quakers Alt and Reverse Retro

Alternate

xt82Rm7.png

Seeing as I used elements from the Philadelphia flag in the design of the Quakers home and away I decide to make the alternate a straight homage to said flag.  The striping on the sleeves and the main part of the jersey make up the shape of the flag. The two lower stripes on the front mimic the blue and yellow on the crest within the emblem on the flag that is now also the logo on the jersey.

Reverse Retro

lacWuhU.png

I originally was going to make the black and orange on this jersey the blue and bronze that I used for the home and away jerseys, but that did not look good at all. So instead I did a straight reverse retro of the Quakers original jersey

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL Defunct Series 16/16 Quakers Alt+RR added

Now for the Pirates as well

Alternate

knh2vW6.png

For the alternate I was originally gonna just put the pirate flag logo that I used as a secondary on the home and away jerseys, but then I thought 'what if I do a whole pirate ship?' That's what we get here. The striping is also inspired by the Pirates old 1929 jersey

Reverse Retro

7fEEY9k.png

For the reverse retro I took the more unique (in my opinion) of the Pirates jerseys and reversed it. Their original jersey now becomes black with yellow accents

ZUH86xc.png

Archived