Jump to content

MLB 2021 Season Thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which means it is far beyond a “mere” allegation. 

That's what I figured. They wouldn't have done what they did unless there was some really solid evidence that wasn't made public.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Joe Girardi has hit the old-and-don't-give-a-F stage of his managerial career.

 

Phillies leading Milwaukee 6-1 in the 7th, and he chooses to start the inning with a reliever, so some jabroni comes in from the bullpen and starts throwing from the mound.  

 

The problem is - said jabroni was never put on the lineup card that the umpires had, so he wasn't even eligible to be in the game.  Oops.  He has to put in some other complete loser from the bullpen who wasn't warmed up, leave him in for the minimum 3 batters while some other douchebag warms up, and next thing you know it's a 6-5 game.

 

This is actually the second time something stupid like this has happened this season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the Nick Castellanos suspension was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. This is a whole lot dumber. 

 

 

Baez jumps the dugout railing and walks towards Garrett, which like Molina's behavior in the first series of the year was the real reason the benches cleared. It makes zero sense. By MLB's logic the Reds should start running out of the dugout any time an opponent gets exuberant and then that guy will get suspended. Something tells me justice wouldn't be applied consistently.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sport said:

So the Nick Castellanos suspension was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. This is a whole lot dumber. 

 

 

Baez jumps the dugout railing and walks towards Garrett, which like Molina's behavior in the first series of the year was the real reason the benches cleared. It makes zero sense. By MLB's logic the Reds should start running out of the dugout any time an opponent gets exuberant and then that guy will get suspended. Something tells me justice wouldn't be applied consistently.

 

 


same thing just happened to a Phillies reliever who “incited a bench clearing incident” by fist pumping and pointing after he struck some guy out. 

So yeah - any time you want, if anyone shows emotion just run in from the dugout like a baby and the guy will get suspended for hurting your feelings. How do they decide if the action “incited” it or if the person who was offended is just a baby and/or a coward?

 

And if you do it to the Cardinals, you probably get banned from the entire sport. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2021 at 3:07 AM, Quillz said:

I'm happy my Dodgers won the World Series last year, because suddenly they've turned into an awful team that can't score runs. Hopefully this slump goes away soon...

Bellinger's still out, McKinstrey's out and was proving to be the spark plug to replace Kiké, Rios is a waste of socially-distanced dugout space and needs to be on the next plane to Oklahoma, the bullpen's held together with gum and foil, and Corey has proven to have the defensive prowess of Roger Dorn.

 

Also, with the minor leagues finally back maybe potential bandaids/reinforcements will actually have some impact instead of coming off of glorified scrimmages in Glendale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why is everyone so fragile in baseball?

I think there is too much fragility in all sports but baseball seems to be the worst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Means just threw a no-hitter! First Orioles solo no-hitter since Jim Palmer in 1969 and first overall one since 1991

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I understand this - if nobody was on at the time of the wild pitch, and it wasn't on the 3rd strike and allowed the hitter to get to first base, why wasn't it a perfect game?  Isn't a WP when there's nobody on base just a ball?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure I understand this - if nobody was on at the time of the wild pitch, and it wasn't on the 3rd strike and allowed the hitter to get to first base, why wasn't it a perfect game?  Isn't a WP when there's nobody on base just a ball?

It wasn’t a perfect game because that guy reached base. He swung at strike 3 in the dirt, but the catcher didn’t block properly, the ball got away, and the guy ran to first and is safe. It’s like the 1% of times something actually happens on a dropped third strike. 
 

But anyway, because he got on base, it technically isn’t a perfect game anymore, although that baserunner (which was Seattle’s only one the whole day) was later caught stealing so Means still faced the minimum amount of batters. 
 

Essentially, it is as close as you can get to a perfect game without actually being perfect. It was sort of a no hitter and a half. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

:censored: Angel Hernandez. 

 

How does a guy with so many "incidents" stay employed? Also, no, you didn't get passed up for the World Series because you're Cuban. You got passed up because you're :censored:ing blind. 

 

This is two nights in a row this moron has screwed up. Two nights. 

Edited by Red Comet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

It wasn’t a perfect game because that guy reached base. He swung at strike 3 in the dirt, but the catcher didn’t block properly, the ball got away, and the guy ran to first and is safe. It’s like the 1% of times something actually happens on a dropped third strike. 
 

But anyway, because he got on base, it technically isn’t a perfect game anymore, although that baserunner (which was Seattle’s only one the whole day) was later caught stealing so Means still faced the minimum amount of batters. 
 

Essentially, it is as close as you can get to a perfect game without actually being perfect. It was sort of a no hitter and a half. 

 

That makes sense - from the brief bit I read, it wasn't clear that the WP resulted in a runner.  So yeah, shouldn't be a perfect game, but as close as you can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Crabcake said:

John Means just threw a no-hitter! First Orioles solo no-hitter since Jim Palmer in 1969 and first overall one since 1991

 

Why couldn't he throw that no-hitter against someone else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pujols is (finally) getting released. It seems kinda terrible to release a legend in what should be his last season, but it's several years overdue at this point. His contract has put such a burden on that franchise, especially considering his production on the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Shumway said:

Pujols is (finally) getting released. It seems kinda terrible to release a legend in what should be his last season, but it's several years overdue at this point. His contract has put such a burden on that franchise, especially considering his production on the field.

 

 

I wonder if they gave him the option of either accepting a reserve role or retiring, and he said he wanted to keep playing so this was the only way to give him that chance?  It does seem kinda lousy, but since they're paying him either way, I doubt this was a team-only decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously, the Angels have a motivation to get rid of him but consider where Albert Pujols was when he came to LA and where he is now. When he arrived, he was one of if not the, best players in baseball with a contract to match. The Best Fans in Baseball tend to be....annoying to put it charitably but they were underestimating Pujols if anything. And look where he is now. An afterthought. His departure being less a grand farewell and more of a "Wait, he's still in the league?" reaction. He probably just wanted to leave for his own personal pride at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

 

 

I wonder if they gave him the option of either accepting a reserve role or retiring, and he said he wanted to keep playing so this was the only way to give him that chance?  It does seem kinda lousy, but since they're paying him either way, I doubt this was a team-only decision.

He’s said he isn’t sure if he wants to play beyond this season, so I doubt that’s what they did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.